Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2003 2:56:26 AM EDT
I was messing around with my new ML2 last night (haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet) and I noticed something weird. I had the front lens cover closed and the rear open. I was looking thru the scope with both eyes open and it looked as though I could put the dot on target. I put the dot on a target (the wife's cat) and alternately opened and closed the front lens cover with no apparent movement of the dot on the cat's head.

Seems as though I can use this scope with the objective covered. Anyone else experience this? Or am I seeing an optical illusion? I guess range time will tell. Don't need as much intensity with the cover up either. I could see this being an advantage in bright sunlight, if it in fact works that is.

Shabo
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, that does work.  I believe it was Trijicon that used to make a sight called the OEG (occluded eye gunsight).  I don't know if I spelled occluded correctly but the sight was designed that you keep both eyes open and your brain puts the dot you're seeing with one eye on the target that you're seeing with the other eye.
I have read some posts on here where people have suggested doing this to prevent people seeing into your scope from the other end so they don't see any light being emitted, especially with night vision devices.  I don't have any experience with that though; just passing along what I've read on here. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
As a matter of fact, that's the only way to use the Trijicon Reflex sights in very bright light.  The fiber-optic illuminated reticle washes out unless you cover the objective lens (usually by closing a polarizing filter).  Then you have a high-contrast reticle superimposed over the scene.  At very short ranges (a few feet) there is some parallax, so the dot is off a little bit, but it is very close at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, that does work.  I believe it was Trijicon that used to make a sight called the OEG (occluded eye gunsight).  
View Quote

It was the Armson OEG and it worked very well for me in the eighties.  I prefer the Aimpoint now as more versitle and much easier to sight in.
ML
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They have setups for exactly that on Paintball guns - Red Dot sight mounted behind Vertical Feed guns that you sight with both eyes open....it is an optical illusion that works (but nothing but a POS for Paintball guns)

ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on the ARMSON it was the FIRST

The Green Berets used them when they raided the Son Tai (I don't know if spelling is correct)
prison camp in Vietnam.

They found that shooting at night their best shooter could hit the target (a human silouette at 50yds) 50% of the time with iron and their worst shooter could do 90% with the armson sight electrical taped to the carry handle (no M-16 mounts at the time.)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top