Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2003 6:02:26 PM EDT
i have just put my name on a list for a RRA 24" varmint with flat top and it should be instock next week or sooner.  and i am looking to see what height of rings i will need, what kind you recommend, and if i need a riser block.  i am looking at a BSA illuminated mildot 6-24x 40 scope

any info would be appreciated

ken
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The Armalite 1-piece mount should fit the bill, as will a set of ARMS #22(high) rings; the ARMS rings would also require 1-inch inserts, though, so I'd say the Armalite mount would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto suggestion for Armalite one-piece scope mount....

FWIW, hope your not expecting too much from the scope your looking at, that way ya won't be dissappointed.

Attached from prev. post:
[red]As long as your requirements are low, most any scope will do.

If all you want in a scope is to set it for one specific range and require that it hold zero fairly well, then these types of scopes will work for most folk. They are reasonably clear and probably sealed.

Should your requirements extend to cover say something with more dependable expectations, like:
1. Durability, rain/shine/sleet/snow, I want my scope to be bullet-proof.
2. Clarity, I want that extra 30 minutes in the morning and at dusk, and I want it to be guaranteed to stay that way for it's entire life.
3. Solid, being rock solid at any point along it's elevation travel, dead on the money no matter the range and having the ability to hold zero permanently, (given the occasional falling out of tree, train wreck of other act of god).
4. Precise, 100% repeatability no tracking errors at any time, again guaranteed.
5. Longevity, this item has a life and a quarantee such that I will never have to buy another or need to replace it 'cus it wore out.

When viewed w/ these types of requiremints suspect the 30 dollar BEC I put on my twin boys, 22s would come up dreadfully short and are worth no more than their cheap cost to begin with.

Leupold is the only name I trust, but then I expect my scopes to become my sons someday, and there's the lesson. Nothing beats quality, whether it's the most expensive/best tires for my scooter, (which my life rests on everyday) or the scope for a particular rifle, quality lasts, quality instills confidence, quality is a very worthy goal in my book, I'll take a lifetimes of it, please.....YMMV

PS - don't forget ya can spend 60-90 here for this one, 200-300 there for that one, but precision costs, save your bucks, if ya want to have pride in your scoped rifle, the scope is important, buy one you'll be proud to own for the rest of your life, see if ya don't feel better about yourself.......all depends on what your willing to settle for.[/red]

Complete post: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=157099&w=searchPop[/url]

Mike

PS - If you decide your interested in a great long range scope, here's thread on where to get a good deal on one w/ Premier Recticles' GEN II mil-dot recticle: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=155421&w=searchPop[/url], see my post there...
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
    Be sure to consider eye relief as well as height - the Picatinny rail on a flat-top may not let you mount the scope far enough forward for a comfortable position, especially in prone. I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings.  There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering.  This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (a rather long scope) and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Wiegand Combat rings (available from Brownell's) - they were inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
i apreciate all of your help.  im starting to second guess the BSA.  i want a rather nice scope.  preferably with mildot, illum would be nice but not neccesary.  i also like the 1/8" moa too

any suggestions on any nice scopes that you recommend thats at least 300 or less.  i would like to do some long distance shots but not to rediculous.  just want something to keep up with dads m1a at 300 yards or less

thanks
ken
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For $300 or less look at the Weaver Grand Slam series and the Nikon Monarch.  Might look at the Weaver V-series and the Leupold VX-II line too.  I've heard the Bushnell 3200 & 4200 series are along those lines too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want top notch optics, comparable to a Leupold VXII or VXIII, but are short of the cash, I would highly recommend that you take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 AO, with the Ballistic-Plex reticle.  Bear Basin has them for $299, and since your spending over $250, they will ship it to you for free.  It's good glass, and carries the lifetime warranty.  Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top