Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
MSTN is the GREATEST! Wes hooked me up with one of the rare ARMS 38 EX Mod L's, and an Aimpoint ML2 and mount.  Locked right on to the Bushmaster upper and Knights RAS.  It's one VERY solid feeling setup. Trip to the range tomorrow  -->www.mstn.biz

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks really nice Lumpy.  Which range do you go to?

Drivie
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
For my edification only,why do you need a arms 38 ex on a gun that already has a flat top W/RAS?The only thing i can think off would to provide a more stable platform for optics mounted more forward than the reciever.Is that it?One thing is for sure it looks good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The sleeve is the only way to get what you mount on the receiver to be in perfect alignment with what is out over the barrel since the dovetails are not in perfect lateral or horizontal alignment with the receiver as they are mounted to the round barrel. Accuracy is also helped since the sleve helps the barrel from drooping from extended firering.
All these things have been proven, hence all the new free float inovations starting with the SIR leading the way.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Drivie: The only local range we have in my area, and a lot of trips out to an old lead mine.

Girard: as Wes explained it to me, the 38EX Mod L removes a lot of the pressure put on the RAS w/ a foregrip (thats also translated to the barrel) by distributing it over the length of the entire upper.  Also, as 3rdtk stated, it supports the barrel as it heats up from heavy sustained fire.

Additionally, I like the height the 38EX puts the Aimpoint at for co-witness.  I like the stability of the ARMS Aimpoint mount WITHOUT spacers.  It's a tough as nails setup.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Lumpy --

Try sliding that sight forward another half dozen notches, it'll improve your target acquisition and transition.  It'll also let you leave the rear sight up all the time so you don't have to take your hands off the weapon if the dot fails or is damaged.

Mine is so close to the front sight I have to flex the front cover to open it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]LOOKS GREAT![/b]

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Lumpy, great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to concur - that is one classy lookin' weapon.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of leaving my 20" Bushy A3 as is and getting an M4gery that I can "tactify"...I'd be one happy camper if I wound up with one as nice as yours.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Lumpy, we got same looking guns.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/m4a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The best thing about this setup is that it takes the pressure (when torqueing a foregrip)
off the bolts lugs (a lot of 10000rd M-4's are missing 2 lugs on the bolt) This will keep that from happening as it takes all the strain off of the barrel and moves it to the reciever where it won't cause wear or damage.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I want one, looks good !
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Chuck,
Im not a big fan of my optics being completely forward.  The Aimpoint will clear the flip up rear sight, and its only a couple of notches short of the end of the picatinny rail anyway. The gun's going to be front heavy enough once I get the Surefire on it next week.

Lee, we have good taste in carbines, dont we? [;)]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top