Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2003 7:58:11 AM EDT
I am building an M-4gery primary use is a fun gun/ house gun, added requirement is light weight. I have several heavies and I want nice quick light rifle.  The only added weight on the rifle will be an optic,  I have narrowed the choices down to a Trijicon Reflex/ ReflexII, and an Aimpoint Comp M2 or ML2, (Btw whats the difference between the M2 and ML2).  

A buddy has a shorty with a reflex on it and I like the sight, I don't notice the dot washing out in poor lighting as has been described here, it seems to be pretty light and very durable, the FOV is a bit limited, especially when compared to the 40mm BSA cheapo I currently have on my rifle.  

The Comp M2 seems like a nice sight, but it looks to be more expensive than the reflex.  I like the always on feature of the M2, as well as the flip up covers.  According to Aimpoint the M2 ought to be very durable.  

Additionally I do not like a very bright dot in my sight.  I find it distracting, my BSA is far too bright on the highest setting except in very bright daylight.  

Questions are as follows, which is more durable, and who has the best prices on these sights?  Any other input would also be appreciated.

Regards
Q
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me I'd look for a used Comp M2 on this site.  Battery life is rated at 1000-10000 hours, night vision compatable, durable as all hell, fully adjustable for brightness, doesn't suffer from wash-out like the Reflex.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had both and much prefer the Aimpoint.

I like the triangle recticle on the Reflex and it cowitnesses nicely with the ARMS mount.  But it is too dark.  I had difficulty picking up targets at medium to long range.  In many situations it was basically working as an OEG, and my eyes are not up to it.  It is also susceptible to washout.  That filter that comes with it is a half-assed cure, worse than the disease.

The Aimpoint has an excellent mount and the dot intesity adjusts easily.  It has a much brighter sight picture.  When I got my Reflex the Aimpoints still had a short battery life; with the new models, the Reflex no longer has any advantages over the Aimpoint.

Don't worry about the Aimpoint being too bright.  You can turn it down to the point that it is no longer visible to the naked eye.  The Reflex can be very bright at times, but there is not much you can do to control that.  Except get out of the sun.

They are both very durable.

The difference between the Aimpoint models is that one is night vision compatible.  I'd get that one; it is only a few bucks more, I've actually found the highest NV setting useful, and it will be easier to sell if your priorities ever change.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote would be the Aimpoint.  I think it is the better choice.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Reflex only if you don't care about seeing the dot or never shoot in the rain or snow.

The FOV on both of these is almost unlimited.  You shoot with both eyes open; you don't look thru the sight, you let the sight project the dot into your field of vision.  

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top