Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2003 11:39:13 AM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm currently using Aimpoint ML2 with its QRP Mount and Spacer. It works fine and it repeats zero everytime I remove and reinstall it, but I really hate that too long tightening rod and awkward spacer. I'm using ARMS #40 with it.

However, in near future, I'm getting ACOG with ARMS #19 single throw lever and I'm going to use my current #40 with it. So, I came up with decision that if I use #38 Standard on my current Aimpoint carbine, then I will not need to use any spacers, for my current QRP mount. (I consider QRP's spacer very awkward and unstable so I want to get rid of it.)

Will this setup also work for 22M68 without spacer and #38 sleeve in any case if I elect to use 22M68 instead of QRP?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Mav,
The 22M68 will co-witness on the #38 without a spacer.  It's nice...flip a lever and it's off.

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a picture of what the sight picture looks like on a Comp M in a M68 mount(no spacer) mounted to the #38 Swansleeve.

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/Viewthrough.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much folks. Mine looks exactly like that but I personally don't care for extended tightening rod thing (on the QRP mount)...gotta replace it with 22M68 when I get the 38.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
So that you can have something to come back and look at from time to time while you wait for your mounts...

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/14.5in/145rdown.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Your picture brings me yet another question.

Is your #38 standard length? If so, did it clear your M4 handguards?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
no, I bought the 38Ex. because I want the option to put the Aimpoint out as far as I can get it in the event I get a ITT 6015 some day.

The Ex. Swansleeve didn't clear the M4 handguard either, had to shave about 1/4-3/8 inch of material along about a 1/2 inch area of the handguard to give it clearance to fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you know if a #38EX will clear a picatinny-style forend like a RAS or a FIRSH?

This seems like a stupid question since the RAS/FIRSH forend is basically a countinuation of the flattop, but...

[Edited to apologize for hijacking the post.]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
new-arguy would likely know for sure on that one.

But for the most part, unless some strange barrel nut got in the way, the Swansleeve would just come right off the flattop upper receiver and slide right along the tops of the rails of the handguards if they are level with the upper receiver rails.

ARMS makes a continued rail I believe that will actually tie together the upper receiver and handguards if I remember correct, that or it's GG&G.    Would deliver something akin to a PRI tube probably.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks uglygun. (That's a not-so-ugly rifle by-the-way.)

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
ARMS #38-ex will fit over a RAS or FIRSH just fine. And its not really a dumb question, because even though there are rails on the top of the standard RAS and FIRSH systems, these top rails are not as stable as the #38-ex will be. So, using a #38-ex to get a little more extention on your dot optic is a fine idea.

It is ARMS who makes the rail that will attatch both to your flat top upper and the top rail of the RAS type system. I imagine it would also mate the upper and the FIRSH as well. Im pretty sure it is the ARMS #38 model L series. Something like that.

But you know, if you have a flat top, and are going to get an RAS system and a #38 system of some type, why not just get the SIR to begin with?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But you know, if you have a flat top, and are going to get an RAS system and a #38 system of some type, why not just get the SIR to begin with?
View Quote

Oh, oh... I know this one.   It has something to do with hindsight being 20/20.   Mmmmmm, the mistakes we make when we're young and don't know any better.  [>(]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hind sight is a great thing, just think of what the guys with muzzle loaders said when they saw their first breech loaders. However hind sight is not in action hear as far as the military go, as they wre warned about what happens to optis, lasdrers and the entire weapon when alum is mounted to a hot moving gun barrel.
Gooid Shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top