Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 9:21:33 AM EDT
I'm putting together a preban AR flatop, and I'm wanting a good sight on it. I'm thinking of using the Bushy 14.5" upper WITH flash supp. on it, to make it legal. Can I still use the TA1ONSN or something like that ACOG with it, or does it need to be exactly 14.5"? Can anyone give me any insite on the different models also? Thanks for your guys help!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe you'll have any noticeable variance with your 14.5" civie legal length and the NSN designed for that length.

I can't help as much as many other regulars here but I had great luck using the search feature on this board to read up on all past discussion of ACOGs here. There is a vast number of thread on them. I chose a 4x TA01 because I got it on sale from SWFA for something around $530 and I only wanted it for target shooting and hunting. If I were setting up a purely defensive carbine, in hindsight I would choose the TA31 or TA11 with the donut recticle based on what I've learned since. Although they are much more expensive.

There are a lot of ACOG variations and it's tough to summarize them. You can't beat a study of the Trijicon website combined with thorough reading of the search results here. Some are better oriented for close range work, some more towards longer range precision.

What do you envision using your carbine for?

Bottom line though is the ACOG line are superb scopes. Ultra rugged, great optics and light gathering capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not the Reflex.

Change it to:

Aimpoint Comp M2, ACOG, or EOTech?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey
The short answer is yes. 14.5 barrel is 14.5 the flash surpressor wont have any affect on bullet trajectory.
You really can use it on any length barrel, I use one on a 20" flat top, all you have to figure is hold over, and once you do it and find it your good. What I mean is even though its "calibrated" for a 14.5 " BARREL On my 20" barrel if I take a 6'Oclock hold on an 8" steel plate I hit dead center of the plate (on a Good Day... hahaha) out to 500yrds. You just have to learn your rifle and optics. But you should be good to go with your set up.
BTW
Stay with ACOGs you wont regret it. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It says that the military uses 62 grain bullets? Is that true? What barrel twist do they use for those? Does anyone know what the standard is for Bushmasters?

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes the Military uses the 62 grain bullet.
and the 1:7 twist

Bushy has 1:9

Instead of the TA01NSN - you might be better served by the TA31 or TA11 series.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd seriously consider and Aimpoint with some good backup iron sights.  The dot is great up close or in the dark.  With the irons and some practice, you can reach out and touch something.

The Reflex is too dark and washes out.

The ACOG is OK, but in my experience the limited magnification does not add much to accuracy.

Eotech is OK too, but the mount is an afterthought and the controls are difficult to manipulate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My vote is for ACOG if you aren't worried about the price. IMO the best scope for an AR out there. Many different options out there, so I can't recommend a specific model. It would depend entirely on what your uses and desires are for a paticular scope. ACOG's are very versatile.

Please do yourself a favor and forget the Reflex all together. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I got to look through one. An Aimpoint would be better, no doubt.

Between the Aimpoint and the Eotech, it's a close race. The two things about the Eotech that I think pull it out in front are the following.

First, the Aimpoint has a 3 MOA dot. Whereas the Eotech has a 1 MOA dot. Yes they are both scopes for "fast" aquisition. But if you need to reach out there, it is also nice to be able to put shots into a tighter group with the same scope.

Secondly, while the Aimpoint is tough, I think the Eotech is tougher. I've personally seen an Eotech that had an icepick shoved through the lense, but that you could still use the scope. You can see not only through scope still, but also still have clear sight picture with the red dot. Hard to believe but true. Can you say that about an Aimpoint?

Hope this helpse somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Secondly, while the Aimpoint is tough, I think the Eotech is tougher. I've personally seen an Eotech that had an icepick shoved through the lense, but that you could still use the scope. You can see not only through scope still, but also still have clear sight picture with the red dot. Hard to believe but true. Can you say that about an Aimpoint?
View Quote

Generally speaking, the opposite is true. Neither optic is bomb proof, but the Aimpoint will withstand a lot more abuse than an EoTech.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually you can use the Aimpoint as a big ghost ring (this was mentioned by Pat Rogers over at TF) and it is true.

At the Shot Show last year EoTech had a modle that had been shot through by a simunition - it still worked.  But the mount and battery life would make me go to the Aimpoint for that role.

Imposter - a 4x TA31F would not help your accuracy???????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If I do a lot of close in work with my carbine, EOTech 51 would be my choice, if I need to have an optic in the field for a long duration, Aimpoint would be my choice, and If I need to pick just one optic for everything and price no object, then the ACOG TA31 would be my choice.  I got a TA31a last year from SWFA, and I just love it.  I bought an almost NIB TA31 just two weeks ago becuase it was a great deal, I don't even have a gun to put it on yet.

Looks like a bushmaster 14.5 heavy upper with Kurt's flutes under the handguards, M4 ramp cut, PRI front sight, RAS2 KAC 300m and get a TA51 for it.  damn, I am out of control, buy a entire new upper just so I have a place for the ACOG.  I am a sick puppy. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#11]
This will mostly be for CQB, but I'd like to be able to shoot out like 50 yards at least, accuratly. I've looked through an EOtech before, and the dot appeared mighty large, can you adjust it's size? Is the ACOG quick acquis.? I want to be able to look at this night or day, and quickly acquire my target. I'm looking at The TAO1NSN, (I believe that's the model, for the M4). Are there any downsides anyone can think of?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The TA01NSN is not a CQB sight.

It has a very fine reticle - which is good for deliberate range shooting but not for more rapid activities.

If you are looking in the Trijicon area look at the TA11 and TA31's
 pick which reticel works best for you.
I like the Chevron - new-arguy likes the donut, others liek the triangle.
No one I know likes the cross hair to well.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a TA11D...love it love it love IT

Go ACOG, with anything else, you'll just wish you had an ACOG
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
How much did you guys pay for yours? Where did you get them? Do you mount them flat-top, or what?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Flattop

I have paid from $650-1350 for the various ACOG's I have got.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
TA11D - $800 or so
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Not very justifiable with my folks, but hey, I don't even have the base AR15 for it yet, so how can I justify it! There is a gunshow this next weekend, (the Indy 1500), and I'm hoping on picking up either a Remington 870 or an AR15.

Thanks for your guys help.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
For your application, the EOTEch will be perfect. The reticle is set at 65 MOA outer circle and a fine 1 MOA dot in the center, it is super fast for CQB and out to at least 200 plus yards. and the price is much better then the ACOG.  better yet then the Aimpoint since it has a build in mount which you mount directly to the flat top.

If you are set to buy the ACOG, do as Canadian Tactical have told you, the TA31, or the TA11 would be your best bet.  I got my new TA31a from SWFA for 775, and the almost new in the box TA31 fro 650 from a member on this board.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Imposter - a 4x TA31F would not help your accuracy???????????????????????????????
View Quote
I actually had the 3x.  While I really liked the scope, I was was not any more accurate with it than with irons.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]

[blue]I'm a huge EOTech fan. Price is great ($350 roughly for the 552 it's durable as hell (dropped mine 10 feet onto concrete and it didn't lose it's zero!), waterproof and the 552 model is compatible with night vision. Whew! What else. . . OH! A lot of different mount options available great battery life simple to use and understand too![/blue]

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
I actually had the 3x.  While I really liked the scope, I was was not any more accurate with it than with irons.
View Quote

What model ACOG did you have and what range were you shooting at?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Good Lord SMG!!!!! TA31 for $650??!! Good for you!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top