Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2002 6:35:46 AM EDT
Was given one a few months ago and was thinking of mounting on a flat top carbine. Anyone have any comments?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently got a PDP2 propoint on a trade. It's got the 5 moa dot. I wouldn't normally buy tasco stuff, personal opinion mostly. There's something I don't like about a company that has both high end optics and super cheap crap under the same name. Maybe the low end stuff has gotten better. Anyway, I just tried the propoint on an old rifle at 25 yds. Had no problem setting it up and getting one hole groups after a few rounds. It seems like a pretty solid unit. My question is, when setting it up, is it better to have the dot cover the point of impact, or have it like an iron sight where the point of impact is just above the dot?

My other opinion about these devices is that unless you go high end (trijcon, etc)be aware that one day the thing won't work. It may just be the battery but there is no way it will be 100% reliable. Even the high end stuff is probably only 95%. Since I'm just target shooting thats OK, but I'd have to have a backup sight if I was using one professionaly (military, police, etc.). If I were you, I'd  mount that thing on the rifle and give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand what you are saying FB.
I was never overly impressed with battery operated sights for the reasons you state. I was going to mount it on my flat top but I might just mount it on top of the iron site upper. That way if it stops working, I'll still have sights.

I'll save up and get a good sight for the flat top.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
RAVYN,

You may want to do some looking around, there are better red dot sights out there for around the same price as the Tasco...The Leupold Gilmore red dot comes to mind...In the last couple months I have seen quite a few of them in places like the shotgun news advertised in the mid $100 range...

You may want to check out CDNN Investments, Midway shooting and reloading supply, and Natchez shooters supply for the Gilmore Red Dot sights....

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks USMC03,
it was given to me brand new so I was just trying to figure out what to do with it.

I'll end up just stashing my allowance away and picking up something nice for the flat top.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you already have it, I'd set it up and use it for a while. The worst case scenario is that you won't like it, but you'll learn more about that kind of device and you'll be a better informed purchaser later on. So far I'm getting good results, but it's too early to tell for sure. Maybe by the time this one is out of service, the next generation of technology will be out and the prices on the current top of the line will come down.

Any response to my question earlier about where to put the dot, like an iron sight or covering the target? With a 5 moa dot I'm leaning toward setting it up like the sight picture of an iron sight...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just purchased Leupold Gilmore from CDNN for $149.95 and installed it on another officer's Armalite flattop. Haven't even had time to bore sight it yet. Seems to be an OK unit, but those really lightweight aluminum rings worry me a little for a duty gun. Anybody have enough experience with them to offer an opinion? By the way, the Gilmore has been discontinued by Leupold. That's why they are selling so cheap right now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
FB
yea...I'm gonna mount it and use it. It'll give me an idea of whether this is the kind of site I want. With a 5moa dot, I would tend to site it at point of aim, not 6 oclock...at 100yds you could get alot of shooter error with bullet placement. Unless your strictly looking at close quarter combat...my humble opinion.

NCCop...you might want to post your alum ring question as a separate post...I'd be interested in an informed opinion myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
RAVYN:
I THINK I WILL POST IT SEPARATELY. THE PRICE ON THE GILMORE IS CERTAINLY REASONABLE, IF U DON'T MIND HAVING A UNIT THAT THE FACTORY HAS DISCONTINUED. THE DOT SEEMS SHARP ENOUGH, AND THE WEIGHT AND SIZE ARE ACCEPTABLE FOR A CQB WEAPON, IF IT WILL HOLD UP. I RECOMMENDED TO THE OTHER OFFICER THAT HE CONSIDER PUTTING A GG&G RAIL (OR SIMILAR) WITH SOME BUIS ON, JUST IN CASE. THANKS FOR THE REPLY.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Ravyn. Thats the way it's sighted in now, but I have not tried it at 100 yds. I'd prefer a smaller dot for a rifle. All the mfg's I've seen so far are offering 4 and 5 moa (the gilmore I saw advertised at CDNN was 8!) or 1 moa. I would think 3 would be a nice compromise, wonder why you don't see em that way? Maybe I'll try it at 100 yds soon...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top