AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 3:06:17 PM EDT
Any opinions on this scope:
 Simmons AETEC Scope 2.8-10x 44mm Illuminated Truplex Reticle Matte

And is $186 the best price?

SIGnature
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It's no Leupold, but it's a good scope for the money.  Don't pay more than $150 for that scope.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The illuminated for less than $150? Cool. Where to look?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn...sorry man, didn't see the word "Illuminated"....

$186 is pretty good.  Cheers...and I'm going to an optometrist tomorrow...

uh oh...post#666
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel so much better, now. Do you think there's a better scope in the price range?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a pretty good deal.  Anything else in that price range is comparable to a certain degree.  But I own a Simmon's Aetec scope (it's jumps around to different rifles in my safe) and it works very well.  Crisp and clear.

Again, it's no Leupold, but it's still a nice scope for the money.

I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good.  But I don't think the Simmon's scope would do you wrong.  I looked it up on the net, it looks like a good scope!  You can buy me one if you want to! [;)] Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about buying you one, anyway. Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm grateful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The AETEC optics are clear and bright, they do however have alittle blur on fine objects.  ALso, their tubes are very sft.  I had one folede in by a Delta baggage worker.  THey do not have a "full lifetime warranty".  On the otherhand, they're brighter & clearer than my Leupold Vari-x II, though not as crisp.  The Nikon Buckmaster isn't as bright, but shares calrity w/ a more crisp image.  Overall, they're very good for the pricepoint!  ZT
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you... But now I'm wondering if the illuminated reticle is worth it... All I can think of is home defense. Any thoughts on this one?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Home defense requirements would not be met by any 3-10x44 scope that I kow of.  I dobt that you'd get a 50yard shot at an intruder.  ZT
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Simmons is yet another PRC produced scope.  They're often "bright and clear" only at their lower powers; zooming in to max power usually makes them very dark so limits them to broad daylight.  Zero on inexpensive scopes moves around based on power too.

Check it out carefully before buying.  The least expensive optic I'd fit would be the IOR 4x (M2?) sight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the zoom scope is not for HD. "Stand back, MF... Farther, farther! I can't quite get you in my sights!" So, I guess the other point is that the illuminated reticle is a useless and costly addition if your a target freak like me. OTOH, If I were thinking HD, I'd probably get an A2 top with Trigicon sights. I have Trig dots on my SIG 229, plus a Crimson Trace on the grips. That's my HD gun.

But I digress. As it happens, Bushmaster (recommends) the IOR sigt. But it's 2X the price of the Aetec...

BTW, do y'all know for a fact that the Aetec dulls at higher zooms? I've heard that the aspherical lens (is that right?) voids the problem and keeps the scope bright. Or am I off base and falling for the advertising?

Jeff
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
SWFA!!! You guys are excellent.  I'll be calling you soon re: a Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5X14!

Use SWFA, they're customer service is fantastic and the prices are competative.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top