Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2002 11:55:22 AM EDT
I have decided to put a scope on my flattop bushy.  I am not really sure what to get but I have been looking at the Leupold Var-X II 3x9x40 tactical/target.  I just started looking this morning so I don't have much info yet.  I found it in my Natchez catalog for $316.24 for the Duplex model and $391.77 for the mil dot model.  Don't think I would need the mil dot though.  

My question is what do you think about this scope for a 16" rifle?  Good choice?  I will probably only be shooting 100 to 250 yards or so.  

Also I am not sure about mounts.  I am looking at the A.R.M.S. quick detach rings and the Armalite and RRA mounts.  RRA is the cheapest but that is not really a concern.  I maily want the scope to be high enough to clear my M4 handguards and far enough farward for proper eye relief.  

Any thoughs are appriciated.

Thanks
James
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my Varminter with Bushmaster's Mini Risers, A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings. Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3
[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img]
[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that's cool.  I have to ask though. If you have the quick release, what do you replace the scope with????
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damn, that's cool.  I have to ask though. If you have the quick release, what do you replace the scope with????
View Quote

Really nothing, without the scope I have no other site system. I guess I could switch to my A2 Varminter
[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=569[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It's all about the options right Brat?  You could get an ACOG and then have a close up optic and a "distance" optic.  But since you have what appears to be varmint rig, no need.

Oh well.......

Ed
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pics Brat.  Nice looking rifles you have there.  I like the idea of the quick detach but I wouldn't be able to use the mini risers since I would be switching to my carry handle or maybe some sort of dot sight (aimpoint,eotech) in the furture.  I have been doing more research today and I still haven't made any progress.  Half the fun is figuring out what to buy though.

James
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking for a scope mount that doesn't require risers, check out [url=http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm]Armalite's one-piece mount[/url] (bottom right of page).

It's not "quick release" (you have to unscrew 2 bolts, just like on a removable carry handle), but it indexes well and is rock-solid.  I have one for my Bushy A3.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take a look at the Nikon Monarch, Weaver Grand Slam or Bushnell 4200.  All have lifetime warranties and have as good or better glass than a Vari-XIII, for less green.

[url]www.swfa.com[/url] seems to have pretty good prices.

I have the Bushnell 4200 2.5-10.  Nice scope.  Bright, wide field of view, and finger adjustable w/e.  Like it much more than my Leupold 3.5-10.  Only downside is that the Bushnell is relatively long and heavy.

I'd get the Armalite mount.  The little bit of extra eye relief comes in handy.  Either that or 1" QRW rings on a Swan sleeve.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top