Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2002 7:18:18 PM EDT
I have a 20" bushy flat top, turned down to a2 profile. I'm wanting an optic of 3x or greater mounted directly to the flat top with illuminated reticle. I'll be using the rifle for hunting coyotes (50 to 400 yds running), plinking, and general shtf rifle.  The Trigicon TA31 looks viable, but I hate to spend that amount of money and not be satisfied. Please steer me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Leupold M3LR mildot w/ Ilum Ret. (3.5-10x)

ARMS #22 Med rings with the Picatinny rail on the front ring (forgot the #) and DR Optic on the rail.

You will be able to range and do movers with it - plus the DR Optic for close up.

You can calibrate the scopes turret to your load(s)

While I love the TA31 series I dont know if it seems right for your situation.

-Kevin

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I would never recommend anyone buy any of the ACOGs sight unseen. It is definitely a product that you need to try out first to see if it works for you. One concern I would have is whether 4x will be enough magnification for coyotes at 400.

The full size and compact ACOGs are really rugged scopes. If you don't need that level of toughness, look at the TR21 from Trijicon. It has a reticle that works the same way (BAC with tritium and fiber optic illumination) and is variable 1.25x-4x. It actually offers some features not seen in the ACOGs at a cheaper price. Keep in mind also that BAC is just a concept and can work with almost any optic (although an illuminated reticle is a big help).

The real question is what would a scope need to do to satisfy you with spending that kind of money? Once we know that, it should be easy to figure out whether the TA31 will do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should of stated that I'm really trying to stay away from a standard scope type optic. And my range estimation of 400 yds. was the max. range I would attempt a shot on a coyote and I'm comfortable with 4X at that range.In reality it would be 250 yds and less at running targets. I'm really trying to talk myself into an ACOG (standard or compact). There's a Cabels's about 50 miles (Kearney, NE)away but I don't think they carry ACOG's so I can't really look at one before I buy. I would even go for a carry handle mounted type ACOG/optic if it was something that was capable. I just don't know what to do.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
G-Code,

I can't speak too much on this topic except for the following:

The glass on the ACOG series is beyond expectation.  I have shot both a Compact 1.5X and a standard 4X and they are bright (bring your sunglasses)!  Both were dot type and I think I would prefer the triangle reticle for precise work but that is just me.  I don't think any of the Trijicon ACOG's would be a bad choice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are really hot to try the ACOG, I'd buy it from a low cost place like Sableco or SWFA and then try it out. The TA31 is made to mount in the carry handle, and other than making the rifle kind of awkward for cases and racks, works well there.

Try it out and see how you like it. If you decide you don't they are popular enough you can probably resell it here; but you will lose money on the deal (a $100 or so). Your other alternative is just to tough it out and try and find someone locally who has one or make it to the Black Rifle meet this year and try one there.

I waited two years before buying my TA11; but I am really happy with it and glad I did the research first.

Edited to add:

Use the [url=http://www.geocities.com/ocular_times/strabscrn.html]cover test[/url] to determine if you have phoria first; because this determines how useful the BAC feature of ACOGs is. Without this, the ACOG is just a cool, rugged, illuminated scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top