Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 2:20:01 PM EDT
I own a Bushmaster XM15 ES2 M4 16 inch and would like to know if anybody has used this red dot on this type of weapon. I've checked through the 'search' button but have found little info.I like the fact that it's compact and would be able to use the iron sights.Any responses yeah/nay would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=145481[/url]

Check this post out.  if you got any question feel free to post and I will do my best to answer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have access to an Aimpoint/M68 close the front cover and you'll get the same effect.  Your brain superimposes both images.  You do this to keep someone with a sensor/detector from acquiring you when your front port's open.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned one years ago.  It worked well enough for close range.  The concept works well for some not for others.  Not everyone has the ability to quickly focus with one eye on the dot, the other on the target.  I found it got easier with practice.  I would say its a decent piece of kit for strictly range use.  If you use your gun for defensive purposes, it requires you to expose a lot more of your head to clear both eyes for barricade shooting.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one years ago.  It was ok, but I wouldn't go that way now.  I stripped the locking adjustment once by over tightening the screw.  It pulled right through the plastic adjustment knob.  The zero is quite specific for the shooter who set it up and kind of a pain to set up.  I'm right handed and my brother in law is left handed.  It was comical seeing where the shot impacted when he used my AR with the OEG.  It was way off for him.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
These were used in Vietnam in the attempted liberation of POW's at Son Tay prison camp. (I SAY ATTEMPTED BECAUSE THE POW'S WEREN'T THERE. THE RAID WAS OTHERWISE SUCCESSFUL. (they worked well< the Army found that these increased hit probability from less than 20% on a human silouette [SIC] at 50yds at night to a point where the worst shooter in this special forces unit (I doubt he was that bad) could keep all hits inside a 50yd. silouette at night.

I don't know how much these run but you might be better off with a cheap chinese compact 2-7power with ilumination (these are sold at sites like CDNNINVESTMENTS.COM )

Then to reaffirm what is said above.. just close the front butler creek cap and turn on the reticle brightness and open both eyes (instant day/night OEG< with more accuracy in the day if you flip open the cap.)

This might give you a more effective tool for $50 or more less.

[b] I DISDAIN SEE THROUGH DESIGNS! I'ld almost rather have no sights at all and with an aimpoint why even close the cap just turn it on and use both eyes.  This sight is obsolete if you have the money buy a Aimpoint or E-OTech holo sight as these both work with both eyes open also and provide better accuracy.[/b]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Used in Vietnam? What is your source for that information?

The first military use of the OEG that I am aware of was a trial of optics for infantry weapons that the 1/75 Ranger Battalion conducted around 1984-1985.

The OEG and Aimpoint (pre-1000) were the big winners of the trials, although the Aimpoint got dinged for lack of durability then. I forget the model number of the Aimpoint but it had a weird looking  translucent dome on the front of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Some more points on the OEG from my actual experience.  Closing the cover on an Aimpoint would appear to do the same thing as an OEG, except for one very important fact.  You may or may not have a correct zero.  The OEG actually moved the dot around inside of the field of view.  Small changes make a large difference at a distance.  The Aimpoint dot location could be correct for the OEG concept, but since it was zeroed for viewing through the tube, it probably will not be exactly where you need it for an OEG.  The literature that came with the Armson OEG 15 years ago talked about it being developed in South Africa.  I really doubt they were ever used in Vietnam.  That was just too long ago.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input. I get the impression that I may be better served stashing more money and getting something different. I will check into cdnninvestments to see if that 'may be the ticket' ! Thanks Again
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are ever at the JFK Special Warfare Center museum in Ft. Bragg, they do have a CAR-15 from the Son-Tay raid with an experimental OEG fixed to the carry handle with electrical tape.  It looks very similar to the Armson, but it had no provisions for mounting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top