Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2002 4:43:38 AM EDT
Guys, I've seen alot of pics of Flat Top ARs with scopes mounted.  Alot of the rifles are the models with a front sight. It looks as if the front sight would be in the way. Am I missing something? Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The only thing your "missing" is the tower when ya look through the scope. Focal plane of most scopes are not condusive to viewing objects so close.

In other words, "Ya can't see the tower".

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Four power or more in an optic puts the front sight out of the focal plain. If you are using a red dot that runs by batteries, the red dot over powers the front sight for aiming, but if the battery dies then you want the front sight there so you can still aim and shoot.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. Then it looks like there should be no problem if I mount a 4X ACOG on a 20" flat top upper with front sight. I was hoping it would work ok.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
With an ACOG, you will see the front sight, but it will be blurred and not entirely opaque.  I use ACOG NSN on my 16" flattop and I see a fuzzy shadow of the front sight tower.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Scott, makes me wonder... If you see a fuzzy shadow of the front sight post with a 16", would it be worse with a 20" upper? I hunt with mine so I need a clear sight out to 200 yds.
BTW, i'll be using the TA31 with dounut.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The Acog is not quite 4x and with a 20" barrel you will see the front sight housing even more, a little fuzzy, but still not a problem.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the 3x, and the front sight post on my 20" appeared as a little blur.  But it in no way interfered with the function of the rifle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top