Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 6:19:51 PM EDT
Hello folks.

Now I'm really going to buy Compact ACOG. I'm pretty decided on 3x triangle compact acog for mid-range use.

But, what color?

I'm seeing that a lot of folks say buy red one because it sticks out more. But at the same time, I see a lot of folks using amber one. Now, I'm not trying to join up a bandwagon or something but I heard amber is easy on eyes and I might need that. Do you have any problems using amber triangle in any environments except in the Desert?

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the "look" of the Red , but read on another post the Trijicons research showed that most people could pick up yellow (amber) faster than red. I asked a Docter friend of mine and he said he thinks this is also true , but could not remember why or where he read or learned this.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the amber and really liked it.  It never washed out, and I live in a desert.  Red recticles make it more difficult to pick up the target in poor light.  Its like they ruin your night vision a bit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of us have seen and used both, side by side in fact. Some will swear to you the red is brighter and more visable. Others will say the Amber is. I have my own opinion and I can tell you that for me, the Red is brighter and quicker. I dont think the people who say the amber is brighter are lying. I believe I see the red better and they see the amber. Moral of the story is to try and see which you like better first if possible. Sorry, but after 3 years of using these and hearing so many opinions, thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I also prefer the red over the amber.  However, I thought I had read that the amber color was chosen, especially on the TA01NSN, due to compatibility issues with some night vision equipment.  Yeah, whatever, still wish they offered the TA01NSN (in style at least) in RED!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You definitely need to try this. I used an amber 12.5 MOA triangle Reflex and I lost the reticle constantly in brownish grass and dirt here in N. Texas.

The guy who owned it had no trouble with it on the exact same range and lighting conditions.

Some people might well pick up amber better than other colors. I am fairly certain though, that I am not one of those people. So I can't say whether you are.

If you absolutely can't try one out first and you are in doubt; I'd go red because while amber might be better for some people, some people (myself included) do have problems with it. I have never seen this complaint about the red reticles.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top