Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 9:39:20 AM EDT
I'm thinking of putting a TAO1B on my Armalite AR10A4.What do you guys think of the recticle?Is yours mounted on the carry handle or on a flattop?Also it is a fact that I can get the tritium replaced cheaply down the road?Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I just had a chance to check out a TA-01 yesterday, and I was impressed at how bright and clear the optics were in such a small "scope". The extreme right side of the recticle (only the horizontal main crosshair) was blurry, but I hear that that's pretty normal, and it didn't bother me at all. I like the recticle; it didn't seem quite as busy as the TA-01NSN recticle, and I like the full red illumination, too. Let me put it this way; the thought of spending that much cash for a sight makes me cringe, to say the least, but I'm not going to even bat an eye to get an ACOG for my rifle. For a small, light optical sight that'll be around for awhile, ya just can't beat it. IIRC, it's around $35 or so to get the tritium replaced (now anyway; by the time it needs it, the price will have jumped up to $500, knowing my luck). In my opinion, the only thing the ACOG needs to be my perfect sight is flip-up lens covers (I hate the cheesy "bikini-type" covers), and if they could just lower the price by......say, $5-600, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Lower the price by $600 and they will almost be paying you to take it! I'm not saying that wouldnt be cool, but heck! TAO1 and TAO1-B can be had brand new for about $639. Granted, they arehard to come by in these times, but I have seen them selling for a good deal less than that in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The eye relief on the TA01B is just a little bit too short for the .308 and I have started looking for something else.

It's mounted on a flattop '10 BTW.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The TA01 is my favorite AR scope. I also have a compact ACOG and have tried other scopes. ACOG is a true combat scope. Great for rangefinding and accurate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The eye relief on the TA01B is just a little bit too short for the .308 and I have started looking for something else.

It's mounted on a flattop '10 BTW.
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm worried about on a .308.How do you like the rangefinding recticle?I've looked at a TAO1NSN and I thought the recticle was pretty small but I just looked through it,never tried to use it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the recticle; it didn't seem quite as busy as the TA-01NSN recticle, and I like the full red illumination, too.
View Quote

My Trijicon catalog says the TAO1B has the same range finding rec as the TAO1NSN except for red instead of amber and that is also one of my ? One of the optic web sights(SWFA,Sable... I can't remember) shows the TAO1B as having a red duplex rec without any rangefinding cabability.Thanx
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The reticle is exactly what Trijicon shows on their website (though a lot clearer in person):
[url]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/11CB.jpg[/url] in case it does a red x on me.
[img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/11CB.jpg[/img]

I have not done any actual rangefinding with the reticle, but it worked for hitting silhouettes at 650 yds.  I believe that the reticle is calibrated for a carry handle mount instead of a flattop so the BDC marks will be off somewhat (I have a carbine, which doesn't help either.)

I forgot to mention, if you have prescription glasses with the nifty clip on sunglasses they will get knocked off no matter how carefully you hold the rifle.

I recommend becoming buddies with someone who owns a TA01x or TA31x so you can borrow it and see how you like it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My Trijicon catalog says the TAO1B has the same range finding rec as the TAO1NSN except for red instead of amber and that is also one of my ? One of the optic web sights(SWFA,Sable... I can't remember) shows the TAO1B as having a red duplex rec without any rangefinding cabability.Thanx
View Quote
I believe that the TA01B does have a ranging recticle, but not sure; red would be better than amber or yellow, IMHO, but YMMV naturally. For me, I just found the TA01NSN's center-only illumination too hard to pick up.
Lower the price by $600 and they will almost be paying you to take it!
View Quote
Well.that's the idea......hey, if yer gonna dream, dream big [;)]
TAO1 and TAO1-B can be had brand new for about $639.
View Quote
YEP, and I know who ya mean, and yes agin, Donnie (who else?) will be the man!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Grey, man, you have to make it out to one of the FDCC shoots. There is one coming up on the 29th. There are MANY ACOGs there. Heck, I have a TA31 and a TAO1nsn, Alan has another TA31, Matt has two TA01's, Sam has a TA11 and a TA50, there's Reflex's and Aimpoints and C-More's... you name it. Just show up and ask to take a gander. None of us mind. Heck, looking at and shooting eachothers gear is how all of us figured out what we wanted!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey
Grey
I have a TAO1B mounted on my AR10A4SS and have had for about 1 year. While in most cases I would agree that mounting a TAO1 series scope on a .308 would not be a good thing due to short eye releif, (read OUCH) IT is NOT the case with the Armalite .308s. Remember the AR10 probably has the lowest felt recoil of any .308 on the market, I have not been bitten one time. Now I dont shoot alot of bench stuff, but from prone, standing , kneeling , seated and sandbagged, I have no problems. An M1A or HK type maybe but for an AR based Rifle I have  no problems. Now that said dont come kill me if you get bit , everyone mounts a rifle a bit different, but with me and 2 of my shooting buddies we love ours. give it a try. It is a bit low power for longer ranges but its great for Urban and mountainous areas. I use mine out to 500yrds with no prob. BTW Thats the longest range I have around here.
cp
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Guys
The TAO1B does have a ranging Ret. I have found that at least out to 500 there is no difference in impact noticable between the carry handle or the flat top mount.
On my Armalite M15SPR I have to take a 6 o'clock hold on targets from 400 out to 600 but hit dead on on 10" plates to that distance.
I was told by Dave at Armalite that the TAO1B is an almost perfect ballistic match for the 77gr bullets being used in Afganistan by our brothers. Imagine that a scope set up for 308 hitting the same bullet path as a 223 in 77gr. He said that info was provided to him by ...... damn I cant remeber his name but he owns JP enterprises, and does alot of work with ACOGs.
cp
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top