Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2002 12:09:07 PM EDT
Sorry - I cant locate a thread with a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of these three mounts.  I appreciate any info.

edit - oops - application is an M2/ML2 on a 20" flat-top AR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask aimpoint and tell them your aplication, they sell both. Personaly I'd go with the modular ht. ability and throw lever attachment of the 22M68.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, 3rdtk.  Question - as for modular height ability, looks to me like you have three heights with the 22M68 - no spacer, half spacer, and full spacer.  With the Aimpoint you have two options, no spacer and M16/M4 spacer.

I've heard good stuff about the torque limiting ability of the Aimpoint mount - how is the 22M68's torque adjusted - or is it at all?  No risk of rail damage?

Here's another question - with only that small area clamping on the throw lever side of the ARMS, has anyone considered using the proper height ARMS throw lever "normal" scope rings (just one of them) for their Aimpoint?  Looks like the "normal" scope rings have the same size clamp.  Same question for the ring portion itself - I know the cradle on the 22M68 is big, but the top of the ring looks to be the same size as the "normal" scope ring.  I'm not sure I understand how the Aimpoint specific mount from ARMS is superior to the normal ring - same size area actually clamped on BOTH sides of the rail and the same clamping area around the ENTIRE circumference of the sight/scope. This, of course, assumes that an M2/ML2 is 30mm in diameter - I have no idea.

Anyone tried this?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If the dot goes out on a forward mounted Aimpoint ML, can the front sight be seen well enough though the Aimpoint using the Aimpoint as a "ghost ring" to permit accurate fire out to 100 yards WITHOUT the use of flip up rear sights?
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Wes - I was hopeing I'd here from you.  Your time spent answering questions here is why my purchase will be from MSTN.

I have a few more questions and then I'm ready to buy (been ready for days - just researching as much as I can - not going cheap, just trying to go smart).

1. Is the *clamping* footprint on the KAC Straight Aimpoint Rail Mount larger than the ARMS 22M68?  I'm talking about vs the throw lever side of the ARMS.  Seems like the true clamping length of the ARMS is how ever long the throw lever side clamp is.  Am I assuming somthing incorrect?

2. It *looks* to me like you can move the sight about 1/2" further forward with the Knight's straight up mount as opposed to the 22M68 - at least while keeping the front edge of the ARMS mount flush with the receiver. Correct?

3. The rise to center on the Knight's mount is 1.57, I think I read - is that correct?

4. Couldn't I use an RRA Tac "carry handle" with the ring supplied (I think) with the Aimpoint and accomplish the same thing for about $100 less?  I say "same thing" because what I think I want is a fixed rear sight - ala a cut carry handle.

5. Some Knight's units I've seen with hex nuts, others with rectangular thumb knobs - what's the scoop?  Looks like the thumb nut would be handy - does the pointed end of the nut "do" anything?

6. When ordering, would sending a MO vs a CC transaction put any more money in your pocket?  If so, I'll do it - rather give y'all the money than the CC company if that's the case.

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks!

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes - it helped much!!!!!!!!

5. THE KAC THUMB NUT IS OPTIONAL. ITS POINTY ENDS HAVE NO FUNCTION I HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF.

**Tell your customers to tighten till it points forward to make the weapon more "high speed - low drag".  [:D]

Here's what I've found about the RRA tac carry handle setup so far.  Still researching.  It *looks* like the setup would work fine with the aimpoint X wide ring you offer.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=74&t=129362&w=searchPop[/url]

"If the dot goes out on a forward mounted Aimpoint ML, can the front sight be seen well enough though the Aimpoint using the Aimpoint as a "ghost ring" to permit accurate fire out to 100 yards WITHOUT the use of flip up rear sights?"  Great question, rgkeller - I'd love to know too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Wes, any chance that you can post a pic of the PRI Aimpoint mount???

I have only seen line drawings of this unit, and I would be interested to see what it looks like in "real life".  
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top