Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2002 9:15:50 AM EDT
I'm looking to get optics for my new AR-15 but am unsure on whether to get a Red Dot or traditional scope.  Basically it will be for medium to medium/long range target aquisition and will be mounted on my A2 fixed carry handle.  

I'm looking to spend in between $200-$300 for this item but can squeze a few more bucks together if I have to. I'd appreciate it if you could indicate a model that you think would be best in that price range.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with an AImpoint ML2 mounted forward of the carry handle.  I don't know what long range is for you but in my neck of the woods it's no more than 400 yds. Plinking at 300 yds with the aimpoint is no problem.

I've found that mounting traditional scopes on top the carry handle makes it awkward to get a good cheek weld.  A dot will always have be faster to get on target and I have found from a benchrest I can shoot 1-1.5 MOA at about 100 yds with my LW preban carbine using the aimpoint to sight with.

The scope itself cost me a little over 300 and I bought the QRP and fwd carry handle mount used from the equipment exchange boards for about 100.

HTH,
Luvman
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Ricker,

Not really 12 MOA - 4 MOA at 100 yds is still 4 MOA at 300 yds.  You're close though because it is about 12".  It's really weird with these Aimpoints though, because if you can see it you can usually hit it.  I plink shotgun shells at 50, beer cans at 100 and milk jugs at 300 yds (preferably full of something)[:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been thinking of getting an AimPoint myself after further investigation.  I was looking at an older CompM as a starter.  I like the look of the "Over the handrail" mount off of the carry handle.  I'm trying to find a place to get the mount, but I'm not having much luck locating one on-line.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the look of the "Over the handrail" mount off of the carry handle.  I'm trying to find a place to get the mount, but I'm not having much luck locating one on-line.  
View Quote

If you mean 'Over the HandGUARD' there are several options.  The best two being an Aimpoint Gooseneck mount (about $40) or the ARMS #39 (about $140 IIRC).

The ARMS is a bit more sturdy and can put the sight further out.

The Aimpoint mount should be available at www.SWFA.com, I wouldn't be surprised if they also had the ARMS #39.  If not, then go to www.Bushmaster.com and order the ARMS #39.

You could also check www.MSTN.com they carry that kind of item too.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top