Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2002 5:41:56 PM EDT
Hello All,

Will the Eotech work with rain drops on the display screen? Are there any other problems when using this optic in the rain?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
"Pick a dot, any dot" LOL! Hahahahaha! Really? Multiple reticles?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Try some Rain-x, it works wonder.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DROPS ON THE LENS ARE NO BIG DEAL.

BUT WAIT UNTIL YOU GET A DROP ON THE POINT FROM WHICH THE LIGHT EMANATES ONTO THE SCREEN...

LIGHT SHOW! PICK A DOT, ANY DOT.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

I had thought that the "projector" (for lack of a better word) was enclosed inbetween the front and rear glass.

Funny, I just had an Eotech 552 (for a grand total of 3 days) and just sent out to it's new home.  I didn't recall seeing a "projector" point outside of the glass.

Can anyone help us out here?  If I only would have read this an hour ago....
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you may have confused the EOTech with the C-More. The EOTech is all sealed no diode to obstruct with rain or other obstructions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think you may have confused the EOTech with the C-More. The EOTech is all sealed no diode to obstruct with rain or other obstructions.
View Quote

BradD is right---it's sealed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It's sealed, and nitrogen purged, and there's a little mirror (about 1/4" x 3/8" rectangle) that is angled to project the image on the glass.  Pretty simple concept.

The only distortion from rain drops would be the image refraction while looking through the rain drop at the reticle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My first EoTech 552 had a bad seal and fogged up on the INSIDE in the rain.  They replaced it.  I have now tested both units I own in a hot shower to make sure they are tight.  I suggest all EoTech users do the same.

I looked at using Rain-X, but a caution statement on either the Rain-X bottle or the EoTech instructions caused me to drop the idea.

SMGLee obviously has a lot more practical experience than me with these.  My question is, does the Rain-X increase the reflectivity of the outer lens?  Is there a tactical problem?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally got a chance to do some work on my EOTech 552 and my flip up sites. Since I live in Washington State and this is the rainy season I also got to test the water worthiness of the EOTech. It had no signs of fogging up or of any problems with drops on the lens. Still functioned fine and had the front and rear sights lined up in no time. I actually liked leaving the front site down and using the rear sight and the EOTech display the best. Shot great groups out to 100 yards. (I was being lazy and didnt want to walk further) So far, I am very pleased with this set up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Elmer,  RainX has cost some reflection, but compare to the semi reflective lens of the Reflex or the Aimpoint, the reflection rate is still much lower.

Peopel have complain about the sight can gather snow or mud, but as long as there is a partial opening on the wiondow, you can still acquire target.  even if your lens is completely cover with junk, you can always use your EOTech as a OEG styel sight.  Rain droplets has not been a problem for me, then again I live in Kalifornia, what would I know about rain?? [;)]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top