Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2002 9:07:41 AM EDT
Hi all -

New to the board and a new AR owner. (tragically with the new CA legal lower receiver, but I'm forced to settle with a butchered version of the beauty).  I'm wondering which Red Dot you guys would recommend on a limited budget.  Aimpoint is just a little too much for what I'm looking for.  I'm more concerned with durability than flawless precision.  Thanks for any suggestions.

- Patrick S.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Skeejunky,
I was looking for the best optic for a new AR15 (but not my first) just a month or so ago.  I did a bunch of reading here ar AR15.com and loooke around at gun shops.  Locally I could not find much besided outdated stuff.  I did see one ACOG (by Trijicon) and they are very good low power scoopes.  I found a model that I thought wold be the best for me.  Problem was it was $800 and that just would not work out for me.  in looking around I settled on the EOTech 511, and now have it on my new rifle, shot it just yesterday.
The EOTch is a hallographic heads up type display somewhat similar to an Aimpoing red dot is use.  While it (or the regular Aimpoint) does not provide magnification it does give a precise aiming point and the low parralax error concept (like Aimpoint) is really nice!  Paid $284 for my EOTech, some models are a bit less. They mount directly to a flat top upper.  I reccomend them!

The OKO sight is around $200.  While I have no personal experience they generally find acceptance as the least expensive reliable red dot type sight.  Do not forget about mounts, they can add up to $100 to your optic!

There are lots of alternatives, so read up before spending thsat hard earned money.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Lowest I'd go is an OKO with the steel hood.  Nex step up would be the Reflex II or an Aimpoint.

Don't have the money for good optics?  Then practice with irons till you've saved enough for the good stuff.  Put away a little each month (it helps build character and patience).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top