Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 8:29:16 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a couple of ARs for myself, and I'm having a really tough time.

I dont know anyone that owns an AR15.

I dont know anyone that knows much about any optic short of your standard hunting rifle type scopes.

I'll have to order any optics I want online, because not a single gunshop in town has a tactical type scope for sale.  I'm considering Aimpoint because they seem affordable.

So basically, I'm guessing at how things work, and what I need.

I'm buying two ARs (one preban, one postban).  They will both have A3 uppers, for a detachable handle.  I'm only buying one handle however.

I want one optic to mount on the top of the handle.

I want the other optic to mount on a flat top receiver.

One rifle will have the M203 handguard (actually for a flare launcher) and the other shall have a Bushmaster C-More rail handguard.

Question #1.
Should I get these rifles with A2 iron sights, or should I buy flip up front sight for one of them (and order one upper less the A2 iron sight)?

Question #2.
Should I buy a rear flip up sight for use with the rifle without a handle?

Question #3.  When I mount the aimpoint optic on the handle, will I in effect be looking through the natural sight on the handle and then through the optic?

Question #4.  When the aimpoint optic is mounted on the handle, is its field of view clear of the front iron sight, or do the optic and front iron sight work in harmony with each other?

It's hard for me to ask these questions, because I'm not 100% sure of what it is I need to ask.  I'm not sure what my questions need to be yet.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint M2 - get the railgrabber mount and the Aimpoint gooseneck mount.

According to what others tell me the gooseneck SHOULD be able to mount on the detachable carry handle (my experiences differ - but I'm willing to say I was working with an out-of-spec handle).

Then you will be able to switch the Aimpoint between the rifles (you will need to rezero though every time you move it).

Q#1 Skip the Flip-up Front sight - its neither needed nor particularly desireable. Stay with the fixed front sights.

Q#2 Normally I'd say yes - but you'll find its cheaper to buy a 2nd handle and 'cut it down'.  That way its always available should the batteries fail.  Easy to Follow directions can be found at [url]www.MD-AR15.com[/url] in the How-To Projects section.

Q#3 Yes [b]IF[/b] you use the gooseneck mount[/b] which is the only way I'd recommend you mount the aimpoint (never to the top of the handle).

Q#4 When using the Aimpoint in this configuration you will be looking OVER the sights.  The sights should occupy the lower part of the optic and you won't notice them after a bit of practice.  However should the batteries fail you drop down a couple of millimeters and you can look through the glass to use the irons.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Forest,

You suggest M2?  I was thinking ML2.  It sounded like the ML2 was designed with some extra stuff in lieu of being able to use nightvision with it.  But I guess I dont know what that could be.

I dont understand what you mean by this:

"However should the batteries fail you drop down a couple of millimeters and you can look through the glass to use the irons."

What do you mean by drop down?  Do you mean just ignore the glass since the dot will be gone?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If your going for Night Vision compatibility then go for it.

'Drop Down a bit'.  When using a red-dot with the fixed rear sight you will be looking OVER the rear sight (you won't notice it at all).  This will give you a full view through the glass and all you have to worry about is putting the dot on the target.

Should the batteries fail you will need to switch to the irons to do that you'll have to drop your head a few millimeters to sight throught the rear sight - Heck 'Drop Down'.

Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aimpoint M2 - get the railgrabber mount and the Aimpoint gooseneck mount.

Then you will be able to switch the Aimpoint between the rifles (you will need to rezero though every time you move it).
View Quote

I just wanted to add, my father uses this setup on his bushy with the 20" A2 upper and he does not rezero. I am sure it is not exactly in the same spot every time but he shoots 1 to 2" groups out of the center of the target at 50 yards without have to readjust.  I know, not match level shooting, I'm just saying depending on the type of shooting you do this can be a good way to go and not too much trouble.    Also if you do this a nylon washer between the screw and the handle will let you really snug it up without marring your handle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top