Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2002 12:08:07 PM EDT
Some of you may remember the following thread of mine:  www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=142399&w=searchPop

Basically what I was looking for was a true ARMS type QR (and the repeatable zero) plus putting the cowitnessing BUIS's in the lower 1/3 of the screen.

Well, I'm on the verge of ordering an Eotech 552 from Donnie at SableCo and have gotten serious about researching this project.

I had previously emailed ARMS and, when I suggested they try to put something like the #17/#6 together specifically for the Eotech, I got a response kind'a like "we'll work on that next."  (I'll have to check my email at home for the exact language.)  At the time I thought that they were blowing me off.  Turns out they weren't.

I spoke with someone at ARMS this afternoon and they basically said that the #17/#6 and the #19 would be too high for cowitness.  The gentleman said that you'd barely be able to see the top of the front sight post on an AR15 in the bottom of the Eotech screen.

I was disappointed, but then asked him if they were considering building anything that would do want I wanted it to do.  The gentleman said that in fact they did have something in the works that would be a dedicated Eotech QR AR15/M16 flattop mount that allows cowitness of the BUIS.  He said that they haven't even gotten to the point of giving it an ARMS number.

So, this might be very good news for people who want a dedicated ARMS QR Eotech mount.  I suspect that this will be similar to the #15 "ultra low profile" mount for the Trijicon Reflex (hopefully with only one throw lever, if that's sufficient).

If anyone else has any more information on this upcoming ARMS mount, please let us know.

Thanks.  Now I gotta call Donnie and order that 552 he's holding for me.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wes:

I did discuss their new "raised" Eotech mount with them.  This is apparently their new mount that hasn't made it to their website yet.

My understanding is that they also have a separate new and yet to be completed project which would allow cowitness through the Eotech screen.  I don't even think that this mount is far enough along to have gotten a model number.  I didn't ask whether they were at the prototype stage, etc.

When I talked with Eotech, I know that they were very interested in an ARMS QR type low profile mount for their sights.  I'm not sure that they were connected with ARMS in the development process.

You're certainly much more connected than I am, and I hope that I didn't misinterpret what they were telling me.  But my understanding is that there is a new mount coming after the "raised" mount.  Is there an ARMS rep on the board that can clear this up?

Corey

EDITED to add that I thought we had differentiated between the SIR "raised" mount and this new flattop mount.  Obviously, if an ARMS rep gets on here and tells me otherwise, then I must have had my head up my ass.  That happens enough so I hope it isn't the case here.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm finally back on my home computer and have access to prior correspondance from ARMS.

In early November I emailed ARMS about my proposed cowitnessing Eotech sight mount.  They describe the "high profile" Eotech mount which allows mounting on the SIR so that iron sights can be used under the mount.  No price, and it won't be on the website for a while.

I emailed back, focusing on the low profile type of Eotech sight mount that would allow true cowitnessing through the sight, though in the lower 1/3.  I specifically excluded the "high profile" Eotech mount and asked about the "low profile" type I initially inquired about.

Their response the next day, November 4, 2002, was:

Will do as soon as we can.
Best rgds, ARMS
View Quote

Today was the second indication that I've gotten from ARMS that they're working on a low profile Eotech mount.

I can tell you that dealers like Donnie would be interested in something like this, as would Eotech.

Now I only hope that they're able to make something like this work.  I think it would help bring the Eotech closer to the Aimpoint in terms of QR, remount and available accessories/sight pictures.

Wes, if you follow up with ARMS on this, please let us know what they say.

TIA
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I HAVE SEEN THE ARMS MOUNT FOR THE EOTECH/#45 SIR COMBO. ACTUALLY, IT COULD BE USED WITH ANY RED DOT. IT WAS DEVELOPED BY ARMS IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE 5TH SF GROUP. THE THROW LEVER BASE DOES WHAT ALL ARMS THROW LEVERS DO. THE NOVEL THING ABOUT THIS MOUNT IS THAT YOU LOOK UNDER (!!!) THE EOTECH TO SEE THE IRON SIGHTS.
View Quote

Hey Wes!  How are you?

Is the ARMS SIR now so widely used in USASOC that it needs its own mount?
(guess the obvious answer is yes but I'd like to hear your thoughts on widely accepted the SIR is)
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I will not be looking for mounting solutions for the Eotech 552 anymore.  See [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=145054[/url].

Oh well, I tried.  [:(]

Still, I'm interested in whether ARMS ultimately developes a low profile Eotech QR mount.  I won't be actively pursuing it however (so this thread might become inactive and die) due to the fact that I've become an Aimpoint guy by default.  Though getting "stuck" with an Aimpoint M2 on an ARMS #22M68 with high spacer is not the end of the world, now is it?  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The EOTech doesn't need the additional complexity and expense of another mount.  It has one that works perfectly as is.  The center dot lines up perfectly with the front sight.  When the battery fails (notice I didn't say IF - what a pessimist, or a realist?) the iron sights are instantly available.  What more could one want??  Well, maybe a sight that didn't rely on batteries - they ALL fail, regardless of stated "life".  And one without electronics that will be fried by EMP.  But other than that, it's a great sight!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Ray:

I respectfully disagree.

I think that the Eotech sits too low.  The front sight post is at the exact center of the screen, which means that when you look over the rear aperture (which I'd prefer to do) then you're using the upper 1/3 of the Eotech screen.

I'd prefer the rear aperture to occupy the lower 1/3 of the screen, so when you're looking immediately over the rear aperture you have 2/3 of the screen to use free of obstructions.

I'd also prefer an ARMS type QR versus the thumb screw.  And I've heard that the Eotech doesn't have as reliable of a "return to zero" when removed as does the ARMS mounts.

Still, all this being said my first choice was the Eotech 552.  We'll see how I like the Aimpoint M2 with ARMS #22M68 and riser that I have on order.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
bringing this thread back to life...

any news as to the ARMS QR eotch mount?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to see something better, anything would be better than what Eotech's now have. a cheap round socket head screw that requires an allen wrench, or a very damn poor thumb nut that can be broken to easily, neither very good in the field if you need a tool box that isn't there. The plastic mount housing is much too high on too many weapons and no way to correct/ajust the ht. like you can on most other optics via mounts, being much too high in the mount already is the problem, plus the reticle is a little to low and is too close to the front sight bead. I shure hope ARMS can do something, but I don't see how. They do have one mount that gives an iron sight see thru that works well for giving a wide field of view, but it wasn't made for 5th group, someone else.
Good Shootin, Jack  
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
mine is sitting on an arms a2plus mount. it works well but you can't use the iron sight at all that way.

I'd buy one the day they came out!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
mine is sitting on an arms a2plus mount. it works well but you can't use the iron sight at all that way.

I'd buy one the day they came out!
View Quote

TBS:

Got a pic of that setup?  I'd be interested in seeing it.

Corey
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top