Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2002 6:06:48 AM EDT
Does anyone use a cut carry handle as a BUIS? Anyone have any pictures to show exactly where/how to cut it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not tried this, but here is the "how to" from the Md ar15 website.

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/chopacarryhandle.msnw

I don't know how to make a link, so you'll just have to paste it in your browser.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive collected several pics of them from people for when I do mine eventually.

Shoot me your email, I'll send them out to you.

The Maryland AR15 site has directions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
E-mail sent. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I cut mine with a hacksaw, smoothed it out with a dremel and sandpaper then finished it with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.  Works great.  I used it in a 500 rd Carbine class and held zero fine.  Suprising how the one nut holds so well.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Massive email files on the way to you Tex.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
US Navy weapon
[img]http://m4carbine.homestead.com/files/cut_down_carry_handle.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know if an Eotech 52 will fit on the receiver with a cut carry handle BUIS? Does the cut carry handle take up more or the same amount of room as an ARMS 40?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
That is supposed to be an Eotech 552.Sorry
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The DPMS sight is half the price of a detachable carry handle and is "nearly" an A2 sight.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#10]
what is the lowest price that you know of on a dpms rear detach. sight the cheaest I've found is 75.00 thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
IIRC I paid $55 for mine three or four years ago. Brownell's has them at $50 at dealers' cost if you qualify.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The DPMS sight is half the price of a detachable carry handle and is "nearly" an A2 sight.
View Quote

Ive heard that they are good for range use, but the knobs break off easily under heavy field use (i.e. - military/police use).
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I "happened" into a one at the right price.  Had it cut by a machinist friend.  
[img]http://tnrdgrnr.com/project/MVC-112S.JPG[/img]
[img]http://tnrdgrnr.com/project/MVC-121S.JPG[/img]

I'm liking it so far.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I "happened" into a one at the right price.  Had it cut by a machinist friend.  
I'm liking it so far.
View Quote

What was it refinished with?  That one is NICE.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Hacksaw, emory board, Aluminum Black, and about 30 minutes.  I'm very pleased with mine.

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a GOOD looking sight! Very nice work. It looks like it takes up more room than an ARMS 40. I don't know if my Eotech 552 would fit on the receiver with the cut handle. Anyone know if it would fit?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
 I found someone who will do the cuttining, refinishing, etc. for $ 25.00. I've seen previous jobs and they look good. I have an M4 with a RAS and an Eotech 552. Does anyone know if the 552 will fit with the cut carry handle? For those out there with a 552 and a RAS, how far forward do you mount it? Is part of it on the RAS Handguard? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]

I found someone who will do the cuttining, refinishing, etc. for $ 25.00. I've seen previous jobs and they look good.
View Quote

Interesting to know. Who are they? What kind of finish do they put on the aluminium?

I would stay away from those typical black paint finish, e.g. Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-up, because some heavy duty gun oil/greese, Tetra for example, would "eat" the paint very easily.

TNRonin: what kind of finish did you apply to your sight?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure about the finish, but the place is k-2 sports.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Not sure about the finish, but the place is k-2 sports.
View Quote

Do you have the phone # or website of that place?

Would like to check it out.......
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
 K2-sports.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
what is the lowest price that you know of on a dpms rear detach. sight the cheaest I've found is 75.00 thanks
View Quote

E-mail sent

[:)>]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]
That U.S. Navy weapon above looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a few years, then got dredged up and fired in an Afgan sandstorn and then had a blowtorch taken to it.

WOW. If my AR EVER looks like that one, take it from me and shoot me with it. OK?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That U.S. Navy weapon above looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a few years, then got dredged up and fired in an Afgan sandstorn and then had a blowtorch taken to it.

WOW. If my AR EVER looks like that one, take it from me and shoot me with it. OK?
View Quote

Bet is works [;)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, I had too much turkey on the weekend and decided to stay home and started a project...........

[img]http://members.aol.com/ar15com/handle/1[/img]

It took me more than an hour to finish this little gadget. It was finished with BIRCHWOOD CASEY ALUMINUM BLACK METAL TOUCH-UP. It is not a paint, but a gun blue liquid for aluminum.

Notice the sight can be set very far back on the rail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice job!  Anyone have one with an Eotech?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats sweet Amuroray, good job.
With the Knights mount it looks like the dot is above the sight plane, correct?  Im looking at the GG&G Standard mount.  I talked to them the other day and they said it should line up in the center of the sights, which is what Im looking for.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice job, amuroray.  Let me ask you, have you tried mounting that KAC/Aimpoint anywhere on the RAC, say at the very rear of the forend, closest to the handguard slip ring/upper receiver (only a few inches forward of where it is on the receiver rail)?  Does that rig put your irons in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint?  How does it work for you?  Thanks in advance.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Lumpy196,

The Knights straight-up mount measures 1.57" from the rail to the centerline of sight. You can still obtain a co-witness picture with this setup although the red dot is not at the center of the sight.

O'DubhGhaill,

Regarding the sight picture, it makes no difference if the Knights mount sits on the RAS rail. Top rail of the upper is the same level as the RAS rail. Besides, it adds more weight towards the front end of the rifle.

Here is a pic showing our men using the similar setup in Afghanistan:

[img]http://members.aol.com/akspetsnaz/knights/afg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm fully aware of the "DevGroup mount" and how closely your set-up resembles theirs.  I am also aware that the pic-rail height is the same as the KAC height.  

Eye relief can affect sight picture, so to speak.  Some people mount the Aimpoint as far to the front sight post as possible because they like the "sight picture" and other qualities such a set-up provides.  And yes, I realize it would put more weight to the fore of the weapon (just as I'm sure the AN/PEQ-2 or-5 at the fore does for the pictured operator's weapon).  But, I'll ask again, have you tried mounting that KAC/Aimpoint anywhere on the RAC, say at the very rear of the forend, closest to the handguard slip ring/upper receiver (only a few inches forward of where it is on the receiver rail)?  If so, how does it work for you?  

I ask because I have a mounting set-up in mind that I feel would FUNCTION well for me (I am planning other uses for the pic-rail real estate) and am interested to know how it might have actually worked for anyone else.

O'DubhGhaill

edited to provide reasons for my query.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#32]
amuroray:

I too would be interested in hearing about techniques and specific tools.  The details on your cut carry handle (and TNRonin's) are really what set these two jobs apart from others that I've seen.

And does anyone have a picture of the cut job done by K2 Sports?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Gentlemen, thanks for all the kind words for this little project. I shall post a detail instruction with pics later.

O'DubhGhaill, to answer your question, I have not tried the setup that you suggested yet. Once I did, definitely I will share my feedback with you.

On the other hand, there are few usual suspects, such as 3rdtk, Coldblue, Wes/Paul (MSTN), SMGLee, and others could answer your question with full knowledge.

I've read some posts from this board that the PAQ4C, PEQ2, and the CVL are extremely light weight because of their plastic exterior assembly. I am sure weight consideration is a major factor at Insight's design department.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks amuroray.  I've got some parts on the way and will probably have an assembly of my own by next week....

The target pointer/illuminator/aiming lights/lasers... are quite light.  I'm curious, though, how much heavier the ARMS #22M68 with full spacer is than the straight-up KAC mounting an M2.  Guess I'll find out next week.  Thanks for the references; I'm still learning my way around here, but will keep a heads-up for these guys.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I got my cut handle back from K2 sports and it looks great. They actually have a gunsmith they use. The cuts were just like the others posted and he smoothed it out then refinished it. It looks like it was made that way. I may need to touch up the refinishing a little,but for $ 25.00, I am very pleased. I mounted it like Amuroray has his and my Eotech 552 fit perfectly on the receiver. The sight sits toward the bottom of the window and does not clutter the view. Since I am a computer illiterate, I will try to find someone to help me post a pic.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Txswat:
Isn't K2 in Dallas?  I need to get my CH done and if there is a guy locally doing it for $25 I'll go there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's the very first cut carry handle made by John and James at K2 Sports in 1999.  It's on my M4 and it's also the cover photo on the Maryland AR15 article.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJwAAAHwMv9ZSpBoTVosRYIrKWH1lQoCWYhdJNTRq2tpjRBKg0csm*jF*RiRHDNA6MiLmjKFrqdI[/img]

It's mounted on the flattop with an M68 on a GG&G cantilever.  Works great.

You can reach K2 Sports in Richardson at 972-234-5537 or [url]www.k2-sports.com[/url].  K2's store is at North Central Expressway and Arapaho.

BTW K2 Sports is hosting this month's North Texas Monthly Dinner with appetizers and door prizes/raffle goodies.  K2 is GOOD FOLKS!

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#38]
M24shooter,
  It is actually in Richardson at 75 and Arapaho. It is on the NE corner in a strip shopping area across from Reliable chevrolet. They will have a table at the Big Town gun show next week. John is the owner. He does good work.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Txswat.  I go by there often and will actually be by there tomorrow morning.  Might have to drop in and take a look.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]
No problem. I don't think they are open on Saturday, but I'm not sure. You can give them a call though. I know they will be at the Big Town show though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Arock:

Thanks for the info on K2!  Sounds like a great company.  And I'm glad they're supporting AR15.com'ers down in their home state.

I have an Eotech 552 on the way.  I'll test it out with a Colt cut CH I have, and probably send my BM CH to them to be cut.  (It's on a BM upper and the Colt M4 CH is a different height.)

Yeah, I like to do things myself when I can, but I don't want to frick up the cut job.  That seems like 90% of the work.  I can melt the edges and color the parts, but if my hacksaw blade starts to wander, all of a sudden I have a functional yet screwed up cut job.  Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of metal cutting experience and I don't want to start on a $75 CH.

For $25, how can I go wrong.  Thanks for the additional info.  Anyone know what the turn around time on is on a job like this?  I sent them an email but haven't heard back.  I'll have to give them a call early next week.

Corey

EDITED to add:  Is the general consensus that the one bolt is enought to secure the cut CH?  Isn't the ARMS $40 one bolt as well?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Corey the one bolt is fine on the Colt CH - it is pretty big/thick.  Yes the ARMS#40 is a one bolt too.

I tried a DPMS fixed for a while but it did not survive. The two nuts are fairly flimsy - one got FUBAR'd in my buttpack - and then when I mounted it - it recieved an impact of unknown origin and cleaned the sight right off the rifle.  
FWIW If anyone training in the CFB Suffield trainign area finds it - keep it.
Taken before I lost it - it was painted brown its not rust (seriously)
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1057[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Corey the one bolt is fine on the Colt CH - it is pretty big/thick.  Yes the ARMS#40 is a one bolt too.

snip
View Quote

Thanks BT.

EDITED to say "Thanks [b][i]C[/b][/i] T."  The El-Typo strikes again!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Corey,
  My turnaround was fast. I dropped it of on wednesday and had it on friday. Pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]
lets hear your experiences with dpms detachable rear sight I'm purchasing one from a guy on the forums and am interested in performance and durability and so on thanks
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top