Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2002 9:16:39 AM EDT
I am looking at an Armalite A4. I would like to have iron sights in addition to any optics.

Can anyone tell me if the detachable front sight will work with a flip up rear sight (such as ARMS 40)? Will the rear sight mount directly to the piccatinny rail on the receiver?

I want to be able to pull the scope off the rifle and use iron sights and leave them mounted. Maybe add an ACOG or something like that later on that will co-witness with the iron sights.

TIA,

Paul
SC_shooter
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Paul --

The ARMS 40 flip sight is like the M16 sight, no elevation adjustment.  Works on the ArmaLite with the fixed front sight just fine, as it does with Colt's and Bushmaster.  If the detachable front sight is the same height it'll work with it too.

But why a detachable front sight?  It doesn't interfere with telescopic or dot sights and is always ready to shoot, even if your flip up rear sight isn't.  Lose your optics and flip-ups will cost you points in a rifle match..... [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The Armalite (A4 flattop) has a detachable front sight that fits on a piccatinny rail on the gas block from the pictures I have seen. I'm not sure if it is the same height as a normal front sight.

I will ask in the armalite forum also.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Paul
The detachable front sight works fine with the ARMS #40 I used that set up for a while. I then went to a GGG front flip up sight, its very nice but while using it if you bump it, it folds down and is gone when you go to shoot,*kind of embarrasing * , I use an Armalite M15T but I have the the 20"CMP barrel instead of the 24", so its basically an A4 with a free float tube. I recently intalled a Bushy Clamp on (picatinny) front site . It looks remarkably similar to the GGG but It LOCKS in the up Position at A 1/3 of the cost of a PRI front sight. I think Ill stick with this, Just DONT Tell anyone Im mixing Bushy and Armalite parts together, I may be shunned!!!! hahahahaha
I feel like the "BAD" Guy in the Clint Eastwood Flick " The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly,"  when he goes into the gun shop and takes the 3 finest revolvers apart, mixes the parts up and puts the best parts into one gun. But I digress. Yes the 40 will work fine with either site.
good luck.
chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
eaglecp,

Thanks. That is just what I needed to know. It's off to the gun club this morning.

Paul
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top