Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2002 12:52:13 PM EDT
Seeking anybody's experience with CQT and Elcan; looking for optic for on a 16" FT carbine; need to balance close quarters capability with long range precision; rifle is moa capable, a real tack driver.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
ELAN - nice for long range work on a nice range - mount is too fragile and they don't work well close up.

CQT - too heavy and limited battery life.

There is a lower cost (than the above) solution that is also lighter and more durable!

Compact ACOG with BAC would be my first choice.  2 or 3x with red Triangular reticule.  It can be used close up or at longer ranges and the triangle allows for precision aiming.  You'll give up some CQB speed against an Aimpoint M2 - but its better at the long range work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Forest, and also bring the ACOG Ta31 into the picture as a possible contender.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
CQT and Elcan wont be as good up close as any of the BAC Trijicon scopes.  TA11, TA31 or Compact ACOG models are all better choices.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, I'll start looking into the ACOGs.  A little surprised to hear about fragility in the ELCAN mount, I always thought it was a sturdy unit.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not seeing fragility in the ELCAN Gen 4 mount nor any problem using it up close where it has dot sight shootability under many conditions.  Any specifics?  US Army just adopted the ELCAN for machineguns and SAWs.  Using the single torque knob mount, however, not the Canuck twin thumb nuts.

ELCAN is not a tack driving sight, the elevation adjustments are no finer than the standard M16A2 rear sight -- not 1/4MOA.

It's a single aiming point sight.  Both a feature and liability.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top