Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2002 7:18:22 PM EDT
Could someone please give me an mechanical explanation for the "Bindon Aiming Concept" or BAC?  The term is used around here as a feature on certain Trijicon optics.  I understand the concept, that you shoot with both eyes open and when you're scanning the field the left eye works and you get the big picture and when you focus in on a point your brain uses the right eye and picks up the magnified view.  Is this a virtue of any relatively low powered scope or is there really something mechanically or optically different about the Trijicon scopes? If so can someone describe how Trijicon accomplishes this?  How is the Trijicon mechanically or optically different from a conventional scope?
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That seems to be the way the EoTech's work...

And I love mine!  Selling my aimpoint to offset the cost.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
It is the lit reticle that makes it work so you can pick up the reticle in front of the magnified eye.  The error present in the ACOG scopes (magnified POA vs unmagnified POA) also seems to be less than with most traditional scopes I have tried to use BAC with that had a lit reticle.  I dont know why that is though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You have the correct idea about how BAC works. There really isnt any magical explination or mechanical/optical wonder. As DevL explained, because the reticle is illuminated, it shows up in your field of view even when your brain is ignoring the magnified image. This allows the magnified scope to work like an unmagnified dot optic.

WofWof, the Eotech is totally unmagnified and does not work like a BAC magnified ACOG at all.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh, OK I just spent the day at the gun show giving myself headaches with all sorts of ACOGS. The question is: how do you 'switch' from a magnified view to the 'fast' BAC. Meaning, I could get it act as a normal red dot by leaving both eys open. The problem I had was in getting it to 'switch' to the magnified view. The only way for me was to either close the left eye, or first look away then look back 'through' the ACOG and focus like a tradional scope. The transition was not smooth for me and like I said it sorta gave me a headache after 15-20 minutes. Anybody with the experiance know what I am doing wrong?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The eye magic works with any low powered scope - the IOR M2 or the AMT 5x33 as examples worked for me.

The BAC is the fiber optic bar that lights the retical - not much magic.

It took about 20 seconds of training for the system to work for me. You mount the rifle and start aiming with both eyes open - and then magic happens - and your eyes switch back and forth between the 1x wide angle and the zoomed scoped view.

'monkey the only thing I can think of was that you might have been trying to use the scopes without mounting them to the rifle and the magnified eye isn't getting a good picture. It's possible to get the zoom effect to work but you have to "mount" the scope to your face - holding your wrist against your cheekbone so that the scope and eye move as one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It wont work well if you try to use your non dominant eye.  You sure you were using your dominant eye?  I just see the zoomed view every time the optic stops.  As I swing the optic to a target I see it like a dot sight.  When it stops I can hardly stop it from going to the zoomed view.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I was going to post this as a new question, but will just "hijack" this thread instead :).
Since it was the last thing mentioned, it is at least relevant.
I would like others experience with this type of optic who have left eye dominance.  I am a right handed but left eye dominant.  I found this out when I purchased my first handgun a couple of years ago.  It doesn't bother me much with a handgun as I just tilt my head a little and can focus with the dominant eye.  As I am going to be purchasing an M4 here pretty soon this is a topic of some interest for me.  So, anyone else with the same situation, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are left eyed then shoot left handed.  It is the only way to get around your problem and a lot of the people who fail the shooting portion of boot camp are cross dominant.

You MUST shoot from the dominant eye if you want to reach your potential.  You will be worse at first but you will soon surpass your old cross dominant shooting style in speed and accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was going to post this as a new question, but will just "hijack" this thread instead :).
Since it was the last thing mentioned, it is at least relevant.
I would like others experience with this type of optic who have left eye dominance.  I am a right handed but left eye dominant.  I found this out when I purchased my first handgun a couple of years ago.  It doesn't bother me much with a handgun as I just tilt my head a little and can focus with the dominant eye.  As I am going to be purchasing an M4 here pretty soon this is a topic of some interest for me.  So, anyone else with the same situation, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

DMPS will build any rifle for you with left eject. Check them out and you can shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know if this will work for you, but it worked for me. When I first started shooting, it was handguns only. I quickly leanred I was cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye).

However, when I got an AR15, I was still shooting right handed. Because of the way the iron sights are set up, I was forced to use my right eye. I shot the AR15 so often, that my right eye was "trained" to become my dominant eye. If this will work for you, I think it will proove to be far easier and advantageous than learning to shoot left handed.

Like I said, I dont know if it will work for everyone, but it did work for me. And as a former cross eye dominant shooter, the BAC works fine for me !
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear new-arguy!  I was hoping to hear from some people who were actually cross eye dominant.  No offense t oanyone out there, but unless it is a last resort, there is no way I am shooting left handed.  Way too big of a hassle.  I'll have to see if I cant get that lasy right eye trained ;)
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a bit left eye dominant but right handed. I have to just dim or slightly close my left eye to get things to work. I had a hell of a time with the old O.E.G.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is O.E.G.  ???
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Occluded Eye Gunsite.  It was a black tube with a red dot in it.  The view of the red dot in the right eye is superimposed with the field of view of the left eye.  The sight occludes the vision of the dominant eye thus the name.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top