Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2002 6:28:08 PM EDT
I have a pair of Badger Super High rings for an AR-10 and I've noticed that on my Swarovski scope, that there's a small gap around the lower edges where it doesn't contact the scope.  Is this normal?  The top and the bottom of the scope tube have contact with the rings, but there's a very very small area near where the torx screws are on the lower half of the ring where it seems like the lower rings are slightly bigger.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
John this is not normal at all
- I have a few :) sets of Badger rings and they are one of (if not the) best rings onthe market today.

They are machined in pairs and shoudl be serialized the same.

Were did you get them?

You should contact Marty @ Badger Ord  or email [email protected]

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying that the rings should be making complete contact with the tube all the way around?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
YES
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.  I thought maybe my scope tube was bent on the Swarovski so I took off one of the rings and put them on my Aimpoint and it has that same little gap.  I took pictures of it on the Swarovski and on the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible that he has a 30mm lower and a 1" upper?  Where did you buy the rings?

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought them from Premier Reticles... they came sealed in their plastic bags and the serial numbers on the two lower parts match.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not good.  I'd be contacting Badger ASAP.

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Bradd is right - I have never seen a set of Badgers do that

I would get in contact with them immediately
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm pretty disappointed to have this problem... since that's the reason why I switched from MK4 Leupolds to Badgers was because I had heard that the Leupolds weren't machined as a pair and would need to be lapped since a lot of the Mark 4's weren't perfectly round.  I'm actually thinking about just returning the Badgers and getting a pair of Nightforce rings... I have a pair and they seem pretty nice.  Any of you guys have any opinions on Nightforce rings and if they need to be lapped or anything like that?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There is no need to LAP the badgers - though some swear by it - I found it just makes them rust for little (if any) benefit.

I would stick with Badger - just return your N/S set for a good one.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea, but I'm just really disappointed since now I'm going to have to take these rings off and send them back, pay for postage and waste some time doing that.  I'm doing some load tests with my AR-10 and got through half of my loads and started to get some really good groups.. my best group yesterday was .45" with 155gr Sierra's and 46.5 grains of Varget and was hoping to get out tomorrow to finish off the set of loads I had loaded up.  Now I won't get able to finish that for a while and to top it all off, I'm going to have to remount and re-level my scope which is a pain.  That's why I'm almost thinking to heck with it and just getting another set of Nightforce rings which look pretty good and actually fit my other scope correctly.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I will defer to Wes in this manner.  
I have been known to make a mistake or two

maybe all the paint on mine has confused me
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help guys.  I guess Badgers relief cuts are just more noticable then other rings.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is what Wes is talking about...

I had a set of Badgers a few years ago and I don't recall them having these cuts.  Is this something new or did I just not notice?

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top