Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2002 10:44:29 AM EDT
i have seen pics of guns with 2 optics on them, one usually appears to be night vision device, and the other has at times appeared to be a red dot, or a small scope, so can i use a scope in front of my night vision scope for more range, or do you mount the nvd in front of the scope?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a variety of options depending upon what sights and NV systems you have available.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i have one of those cheapo russian nv scopes, 2.5 magnification, i would just like to increase the magnification, was also wondering if a 10 or so power scope could be used with nv goggles
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
not really.

I will look for alink to this rather than rehashing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh Well searched but I guess it was a bit longer than 3 months ago.
My photohosting is down so no pics this time

With a NV device like a PVS14 that is both a wpn sight and a head mounted unit they do not (for 99.99%) have a reticle with them they are an add on for a daysight.

sights like the Eotech and aimpoint are usabel with those easily.

Magnified sights will work behind - but will change your eyerelief.

Magnified sights will also work in front but do take time in that respect to focus etc.
As far as night ops I chose headmounted NV for 99% of the time - and use a IR L/I to aim - it is also possible to use your sight dominat eye and the your NV on the other - providing you get sufficient clearance between sight and NV.

The other option is dedicated wpn sights they typically are magnified and have reticles - they really cannot be combined with other optics.

The other option is the SIMRAD and it clips onto your day sight.

When my photohosting is runnign again - I will give example of all the above.

-Kevin

Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have so much money you can afford night vision just get a pvs-17 with the 2.25 or 4.5 power magnification.  It is much better than a pvs14 and an aimpoint or eotech.  Use the pvs14 for head mount with an IR laser for close up and a dedicated NV optic for long shots.  with arms throw levers swaping optics would only take a couple seconds longer than trying to add a pvs14 to your aimpoint and youd get much better overall use.

In conclusion you need:

PVS14: 2800-4200 depending on your tube selection
Corsak IR laser: 250ish
PVS17: 7000

So youd be set up real nice for about $10,000.  If thats a little steep get a PVS-4 instead of the PVS 17 but realize its a BIG scope.  Also look into the RAPTOR NV scopes.

A fully complete and proper NV setup (head mounted optic, weapon mounted optic, IR laser) can run you anywhere from $6000-17000 depending on your budget.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
simrad?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as the IR L/I goes I like the NVEC Attila 200 and the Insight PEQ-2A

- the SIMRAD's are NV that clips onto the front rail bracket of the scope ring and cover the objective lens allowing you to see though your day sight using NV.  The older ones shifted your zero rather dramatically.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=139927 a link with some pics I took.
I have other photo's but I cant get printroom to let me into it.

good NV links etc.
members.shaw.ca/night-vision/index.htm
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top