Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2002 4:11:37 AM EDT
I have a hypothetical question here. What significant advantage does an Aimpoint optical sight have over the utilization of a large aperture rear peep sight in conjunction with a front sight painted fluorescent orange? I find with this iron sight combination that sighting is extremely fast because both eyes remain open, thus utilizing the peripheral vision of the left eye with the right eye automatically seeking the fluorescent orange sight. The only (major) advantage I can think of for the Aimpoint is that both the target and the dot are in the same plane whereas the iron sights require focusing on the front sight with the target being unfocused. What else am I missing here? In particular, for very close range target acquisition (50 yards or less), does the Aimpoint really offer a significant advantage?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You still have to line up iron sights.  The Aimpoint's dot is the point of impact, no matter where you see it in the optic.  This makes the aimpoint target aqusition faster than with iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
PAINTED FRONT SIGHTS JUST DON'T WORK AND THEY LOOK FEAKISH,GET AN AIMPOINT.I'VE USED MINE ON AK'S AND AR'S,NOT TO MENTION AN M1A OR 2 THEY WORK GREAT!
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You still have to line up iron sights.  The Aimpoint's dot is the point of impact, no matter where you see it in the optic.  This makes the aimpoint target aqusition faster than with iron sights.

Vinnie,

Thanks for the input. That's what I figured, strictly from a theoretical point of view anyway. Unfortunately, I've got a Colt MT6530 fixed handle upper and would have to mount the scope high. After brush hunting for years with a low mounted Redfield Widefield on a Remington 7600, I don't know if I could ever settle for a less ergonomic high mounted scope. Like they say about four wheel drive, once you've had it you'll never go without. Same thing applies for a low mounted scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If its dark you cant see even a painted front sight but you can still use the Aimpoint.

Use a goose neck mount to cowitness with your irons and have a low mounted scope just like you want.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If its dark you cant see even a painted front sight but you can still use the Aimpoint.

Use a goose neck mount to cowitness with your irons and have a low mounted scope just like you want.

This begs a further question. With the goose neck mount, you've now placed the scope further away from your eye into a "scout" configuration. The question now is this: What is the difference in effectiveness between an Aimpoint mounted close to your eye and one mounted farther away from your eye?
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This begs a further question. With the goose neck mount, you've now placed the scope further away from your eye into a "scout" configuration. The question now is this: What is the difference in effectiveness between an Aimpoint mounted close to your eye and one mounted farther away from your eye?

Actually you want to have a dot optic mounted farther forward than a regular scope.  It won't block your view as much as if it were right up to the charging handle.  This is important for CQB, so as you don't have your eyes buried in the sights, you see all the possible threats.  Then it's just a matter of raising the weapon a quarter inch, placing the dot on center mass and letting the lead fly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually think mounting non magnified dot optics to a goose neck carry handle mount is one of the best configurations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for the inputs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top