Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2002 5:45:08 PM EDT
Ok, here's my problem. I have a Bushmaster 16" carbine with flat-top upper. It has at present some type of cheapo 2-7x32 scope and unknown rings. I want to switch to a Leupold or other quality scope in the 32 or 40mm objective range, but first I need to do something to raise the scope up a bit. The way the current scope set-up is, I have to get into a really uncomfortably low position to see through the damn thing! It is so bad that there is no way I can leave it as is.

So what do I need to do? Would the simple addition of a Tapco riser be enough to give me the extra little bit of height I need? Or would different (taller rings) be a better idea? Or what about both? Please tell me any good ways to get my scope an extra half inch to an inch higher so I can comfortably use it. Also advise to where to purchase the accessories. Thanks.

---Charging Handle
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
dude, you need a riser.
you can get ne at the local gunshow for about $20.00 or try bushmaster
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 308wood. I couldn't locate one at the Bushmaster site, but I did find the Tapco riser at Tapco for only about $15. This may or may not give me what I am looking for, so I may just get a set of those tall rings as well. They are suppose to raise the bottom of the scope a full inch from the rail, whereas the current rings I am using only gets it up about .5". Hopefully one or both will solve my problem. If I don't need the tall rings I will just save them until I need them for a scope with a large objective....like some of the 50mm's.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, you need the riser.

I guess your problem is better than mine...  My scope was too high (A2)- very uncomfortable to shoot.  I had to take it off.  Eventually I will try one of those buttstock cheek things to see if it helps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with the Tapco riser on your Bushmaster flat top.  I have the same setup, it works great.  If you mount the scope on the riser and then mount the riser on the rifle, you will be able to remove/replace and retain zero easier.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my red dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top