Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2002 11:54:19 AM EDT
Anyone out there used the Ashley same plane aperature on an AR?  It seems to make sense for the 14.5-16" carbines as I feel the majority of shots would be taken from CQB range to 250 meters max, so one POA/POI sight setting with the choice of fast (large aperature) or fine (small aperature) would be ideal.

Comments?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you use the Improved Battlesight Zero from the Maryland AR-15 site you can get the same zero (~200m) for the small aperture as with the big one.  You just have to remember to change the distance ring when you switch apertures.  

It's one less thing to remember with the Ashley, but it'll make your gun different than the next guy's.  Your call as to which is more important.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Ashley. It's the cat's meow as far as irons go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I put the AO (Express, whatever) on a 20" rifle.  I find that due to the *huge* rear aperture it is not much good beyond 50 yards.  The small aperture (still larger than the A2 small) works just fine for me.  I am seriously considering switching back to the A2, or adding an Aimpoint to compensate.

On a carbine, for my eyes, I do not shoot nearly as well with the irons and prefer a red dot - faster, more accurate, but requires batteries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should have elaborated.  My carbine has a #38 SWAN sleeve with a Reflex II mounted and I was thinking of replacing the stock aperture because I dont like the way ARMS modded the small aperture (the only thing I dont like about the sight).  This is a back up only, but with Murphy, you never know.

I didnt realize the aperture holes were larger on the Ashley, so I may just put in a stock A2 flipper.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top