Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2002 7:56:02 AM EDT
Sighted in my Aimpoint this morning.  Problem is with the goose neck mount.

When I mount it on the receiver (Colt) it locks down positively, but, the forward part of the gooseneck is not in line with the tops of my M4 handguards.  It diverges in an upward direction.

This makes it difficult because the front sight is barely seen in the lowest part of the optic.

I put a small shim at the rear of the mount and it brought the mount level with the handguard and I can now see the front sight.  However, it does not lock positively into the sight channel and I can detect some lateral movement.

What is my solution?  I am tempted to just buy a RRA flattop and perhaps a folding rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]

I have a similar question..I have a flat top and want an aimpoint ML2 x2...with a throw lever mount....My question is does the aimpoint need to be a certain distance from the rail for best sight plane. (height wise)

I also want flip up iron sights...does anybody have this setup or any other thoughts ...thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
TX, where did you get the carry handle mount? What brand is it? There was a post here a while back from Aimpoint talking about counterfit carry handle mounts that suffered from a variety of problems.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the mount from SWFA, so I am sure it is an Aimpoint manufactured part.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The Aimpoint Forward Mound will not work with the detachable handle.  This how you're trying to use it?

On a flattop receiver the M68 CCO sight (Aimpoint CompM/M2) needs the Quick Release mount with the M4 spacer.  Over the handguards using the forward mount the spacer should not be used.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
No, it is an A1 upper.  Does not make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks for your imput.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's some pics of an Aimpoint mounted on an A1 Upper (w/A2 handguards) using the Aimpoint #39 gooseneck mount.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
That's odd.  I assumed the Aimpoint gooseneck would be compatable with M4 handguards since:

It does not touch them when installed.  

If they are not compatable, I would think that the mount would have to have some contact with the handguards.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
This may be a little off topic but what kind of mount is that? I have the Aimpoint Comp ML2 and the A.R.M.S. #39 gooseneck, I need the mount. Does anyone know which A.R.M.S. mount I need? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This may be a little off topic but what kind of mount is that? I have the Aimpoint Comp ML2 and the A.R.M.S. #39 gooseneck, I need the mount. Does anyone know which A.R.M.S. mount I need? Thanks

Arms#22M68 on an Arms#39 gooseneck....
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
CHILL WITH THE ALL CAPS POST, MSTN!

heh, people kill me when they do that all the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Hey Wes,

Do you have a picture of an A2 upper with the P.R.I. gooseneck, ARMS #22M68, and an Aimpoint ML2?

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]

No problem Wes,

I'll just have to post one once I get mine set up.

BTW... Fed-Ex tried to deliver the 22M68 I ordered from you last week. I should get it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No problem Wes,

I'll just have to post one once I get mine set up.

BTW... Fed-Ex tried to deliver the 22M68 I ordered from you last week. I should get it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

No4MK1 - I'd also like to see a pic of your setup, once you get it all put together.

I've posted before about the PRI mount, but no one replied that they had one.

Will be great to finally see a picture of the damn thing!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
mrcr0603,

Will do. Unfortunately, I have to use the 20th century technology of film based photography.

I'll post it in the optics forum when I get it together.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
As far as the aimpoint gooseneck mount not working with m4 handguards, my experience has differed.  I bought a aimpoint m2, railgrabber mount, and gooseneck mount from sfwa about a year back.  This was installed on a BM fixed handle shorty bought back in '98.  I had bought some "colt m4" handguards from Rguns and had installed them on the rifle.  With the gooseneck mount installed, there was roughly a 1/16" gap, maybe smaller, between the bottom of the mount and the top of the handguard.  The setup allowed the irons sights to be used, co-witnessing in the lower third of the optic.

Now granted these handguards were bought from Rguns, so they may not be the real deal.  They do, however, have double heat shields and are made of the same sort of plastic as the m4 handguards on my colt mt6400c.  The only difference I have noticed between the two, is that the heat shields are not glued in on the ones bought from Rguns.  I haven't had the chance to measure the thickness of both handguards, cause I keep forgetting.  Maybe tonight I will measure them and respond back.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top