Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2002 8:09:42 PM EDT
I have about $600 to spend and I am trying for a M2, GG&G cantilever mount or"one that will move it forward of similar design" and rear flip up sight like the Arms. Can it be done for this budget? Its for a bushmaster carbine flat top.  And any thoughts from anyone with this set up would be appreciated.          thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, contact Donnie at www.sableco.net, he will be able to get you what you are looking for inside your budget. I would guess you'll have some money left over as well. GG&G and Knights Armament are the only two companies I am aware of that make forward flat top mounts for the Aimpoint. He sells both product lines. Donnie is awsome to deal with and gets you what you need. BTW, great choice!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the ML2 (non-NV) in the railgrabber mount, and use the GG&G scout rail to mount it forward of the reciever.  I also have the GG&G A2 BUIS.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 in this set-up.    

I believe the M2 is $50-75 more than the ML2, and the GG&G catilever mount is about $100 more than the railgrabber, but you would not need the scout rail @ $75.

I'd say you're going to be about $100 short for your set-up.....but that's just a guess.

I would highly recommend the scout rail.  It puts the Aimpoint forward of the reciever and you don't need the flat-top spacer for the Railgrabber mount.  The Railgrabber mount also removes quickly, although with this set-up, the BUIS co-witness perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The cantilever mounts made by GG&G and Knights put the Aimpoint out over the handguards even further than the scout rails you are talking about.

Donnie at SABLE Co lists the Aimpoint M2 for $378 and the Knights forward mount at $170. The GG&G Cantilver mount will be right around the same price as the Knights, maybe a little more. But even so, total so far only $548. Donnie only charges ACTUAL shipping costs, so I would guess priority mail shipping to you is going to be under $12 (just a guess). Email Donnie and see what he'll do for you. You may wind up doing even better than that... You have more than the money you will need for the set up you want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate your replies guys, I will try calling sable co. Monday. I thought it would cost me more for complete rail and m2 mount this only reason I am going this way. I have been researching for only a short time but all the post here on similar subjects have help out a bunch. our local range here is only about 80 yards is another reason I opted for no magnification I am going this way my question is if all will line up ok.I read a bunch about most of the back up sights. My question is the alignment and basic the spacer rabbit mentioned.    thanks again
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many mounting options. Some mounts are made to be used with a rail, some are made to be used mounted directly to a flat top. Some mounts can be used either on a rail, or, if used with a spacer, on a flat top. If you have a mount that is made to be mounted on a rail, and use it directly to a flat top, the optic will be too low. Some of these rail mounts can be used with a spacer, which will raise the optic to the propper level. Different folks have different prefferences.

I've used both the ARMS #38ex and the GG&G Scout Rail. Great systems, both do what they are supposed to. However, if the Aimpoint is the optic you are using, I dont think they are very necessary.

Forward mounting a dot type optic is important. Some optics arent available with a forward type mount that attatches directly to the flat top. The Reflex is one example of this. For a Trijicon Reflex on a flat top, I would reccomend a scout type rail.

However, as you have seen, there are at least two excellent quality forward mounts for the Aimpoint that go directly to the flat top. These mounts will put the Aimpiont out even slightly further than the scout rail systems will. And both put the Aimpoint at the correct height to be used in conjunction with your iron sights.

I'd be willing to bet that if you call Donnie, he will cut you a deal for a Aimpoint M2, a GG&G Cantilever or Knights Forward mount AND a flip up rear sight like the ARMS #40 for an excellent price. Im guessing under $650 with shipping (please dont quote me! ). If you skip the ARMS #40 you will be well under $600, easily.

Here's a pic of just such a set up! (all supplied by Donnie BTW!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think emailing him will get you a better price, but package deals are a pretty common practice when buying several items I believe?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Talk to Donnie!  You will save money and get great service.  He is my primary supplier now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top