Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 2:05:27 PM EDT
What would cause very well used and 30+ year old mags to hang up in mag wells?  They were tried in multiple lowers with the same fitment. Both show wear marks in the same spot on the upper rear corners. All the lowers work fine with newer okay branded mags as well as pmags and various other brands as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say that the mag bodies have been damaged. Crushed/bent/tweaked out of spec in some fashion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s what I was afraid of.

I was hoping there was something else I could be missing but knew it was probably that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Top rear of the mag will spread out a little over time..it’s normal. that’s why there’s a usgi gauge to inspect the feedlips
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Top rear of the mag will spread out a little over time..it’s normal. that’s why there’s a usgi gauge to inspect the feedlips
View Quote

YEP, Brownells sell thats gauge. And its in stock. Not cheap, $53.00 lol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Give them a careful squeeze in a padded vise and throw them in the practice pile.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
That gauge is insane expensive for what it is lol. Guess these will just be for looks or last ditch I guess. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Give them a careful squeeze in a padded vise and throw them in the practice pile.
View Quote

I’ve done that to quite a few Center Industries mags and fixed them to drop free.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
A thread about an old ass $11 mag. Come on dude, buy some new mags. :)
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That’s what I was afraid of.

I was hoping there was something else I could be missing but knew it was probably that.
View Quote
It happens.  AR mags are intended to be disposable.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are not wrong, but will be a pretty valid inquiry if a ban occurs and supplies dry up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Mags are disposable...which sucks...but they fail at the welds, the feed lips spread, dents...sucks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a worry there. I know at some point what we have is all we’ll  have until 3D printing becomes more of a thing. I wanted to try to save these but seems it’s not feasible so no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are not wrong, but will be a pretty valid inquiry if a ban occurs and supplies dry up.
View Quote

That $11 mag may be $111 in a week.  If you can get them at all.

Edit --  just went looking and Okay Surefeeds are sold out at most places.  Just about every place that has them listed anywhere near $11.  D&H is out of stock all over as well.  I ordered a 10 pack of D&H just because.  Tempting to order some more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That $11 mag may be $111 in a week.  If you can get them at all.

Edit --  just went looking and Okay Surefeeds are sold out at most places.  Just about every place that has them listed anywhere near $11.  
View Quote

Magshack for Okay.

PSA for D&H.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Magshack for Okay.

PSA for D&H.
View Quote

FWIW, Mag Shack is now OOS on Okay.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magshack for Okay.

PSA for D&H.

Knew it wouldn't last.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Big Tex Outdoors has FDE Surefeed E2's in stock. Use coupon code alliancepd for 15% off.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/okay-industries-surefeed-e2-ar-15-magazine-5-56-30rd/
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Magshack for Okay.

PSA for D&H.
View Quote

I ordered 10 D&H from PSA, and I just received 10 mags with PSA marked floor plates.

I just logged in to PSA's web site and found in the fine print that the 10 pack with the headline  "PACK OF TEN (10) D&H 5.56 30RD ALUMINUM MAGAZINES, BLACK" says:

"SKUCASE-0004
BrandD&H Industries
Included in Bundle:
8416 PSA Mag AR-15 223/5.56 Aluminum Black Teflon 30rd Cap
Quantity 10"

I hope that they really are made by D&H.  I think it is a little misleading to say the "Brand" is D&H, when they are stamped PSA, but they seem like OK quality mags.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
After three decades, they finally need to be replaced.

Items that retail for less than what you put in them, and which during most carbine courses can take less than a minute to expend with 100% accountability and learning happening.

Color me impressed!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I ordered 10 D&H from PSA, and I just received 10 mags with PSA marked floor plates.

I just logged in to PSA's web site and found in the fine print that the 10 pack with the headline  "PACK OF TEN (10) D&H 5.56 30RD ALUMINUM MAGAZINES, BLACK" says:

"SKUCASE-0004
BrandD&H Industries
Included in Bundle:
8416 PSA Mag AR-15 223/5.56 Aluminum Black Teflon 30rd Cap
Quantity 10"

I hope that they really are made by D&H.  I think it is a little misleading to say the "Brand" is D&H, when they are stamped PSA, but they seem like OK quality mags.

View Quote

D&H supplies mags to many vendors with their branded floor plates.

DSG and BCM being 2 off of the top of my head.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Big Tex Outdoors has FDE Surefeed E2's in stock. Use coupon code alliancepd for 15% off.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/okay-industries-surefeed-e2-ar-15-magazine-5-56-30rd/
View Quote

Purchased! Coupon works as well. It paid for tax and shipping on 5 mags! Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

YEP, Brownells sell thats gauge. And its in stock. Not cheap, $53.00 lol.
View Quote

I just use a dial caliper to measure any that I think might have an issue.  As long as the feed lips are between .454" and .476" (and they are straight) you should be good.  (Go: .454" No-Go: .476")
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top