Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2020 3:15:40 PM EDT
I have a pre-ban Olympic (1993), and I only have two 40rd and one 30rd that will seat properly. Did the tolerances change on the lowers or the mags between then and now? The only mags that fit have no markings but look like old military/colt brand, the mags that don't work are C products and B.F.I. I've tried H&H, and "Thermold" without success. I can see a difference between the ones that work and don't work. The "stop" on the side, and the notch at the top back of the mags are higher. I  know this is a rookie question but has there been a change?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Dimensions for a lower and the dimensions for a mag have had zero changes between then and now.  Something is wrong with your specific gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a pre-ban Olympic (1993), and I only have two 40rd and one 30rd that will seat properly. Did the tolerances change on the lowers or the mags between then and now? The only mags that fit have no markings but look like old military/colt brand, the mags that don't work are C products and B.F.I. I've tried H&H, and "Thermold" without success. I can see a difference between the ones that work and don't work. The "stop" on the side, and the notch at the top back of the mags are higher. I  know this is a rookie question but has there been a change?
View Quote
10 year badge. First post . . . thats got to be some kind of a record.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Try a Magpul or OKAY surefeed magazine.
If those don't seat right, try unscrewing the magazine catch one full turn, that might do the trick.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be out of spec lower.  Oly didn't have the best qc out there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could be out of spec lower.  Oly didn't have the best qc out there.
View Quote

Try using Good Quality "Gold Standard" magazines (MagPul, or USGI mags)

Could be that old Oly Receiver (as mentioned - not exactly "Tier 1")

Could be a bad magazine catch or mag catch is not property installed.

Shouldn't be rocket science to figure out what the problem is.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some quality USGI mags.
If you still have issues then the Oly lower is the problem
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Try using Good Quality "Gold Standard" magazines (MagPul, or USGI mags)

Could be that old Oly Receiver (as mentioned - not exactly "Tier 1")

Could be a bad magazine catch or mag catch is not property installed.

Shouldn't be rocket science to figure out what the problem is.
View Quote

What he said.

Also, did you go out and find a thermold to try or is that something you did before? Random lol
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
That was the only brand that the store had. I took an empty, good mag to compare and it looked like it would fit. Returning it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dimensions for a lower and the dimensions for a mag have had zero changes between then and now.  Something is wrong with your specific gun.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
When you buy some new magazines,  does the magazine fit in your Oly lower when empty and the bolt is closed? If so what should try down loading 25 rounds into a 30 round magazine and see it will latch on a closed bolt. Different ARs possibly have slightly different mag well dimensions.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Olympic had an issue once with their broaching tool wearing out. A bunch of lowered were made with out of spec mag wells. Mostly too narrow for anything other than Colt spec military mags.

I have one Colt A2 similar. Can’t for a PMag in it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine has an Olympic lower with the same issue. Out of a couple dz mags, I think he has maybe 2 that actually seat as intended and none drop free. He's got to wrestle them out with force.

Trying to get him to dump it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Olympic was well known back in the days to not be the best quality. My suggestion is to buy a complete lower from a better known manufacturer. After all, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Olympic was well known back in the days to not be the best quality. My suggestion is to buy a complete lower from a better known manufacturer. After all, you get what you pay for.
View Quote

This here. Try a magpul pmag or okay surefeed. If one of those don’t work, then replace the lower.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditch that lower and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Olympic was known for putting out a lot of out of spec forged or cast lowers that broke through the rear takedown lugs.

The suggestion of replacing it with a current production lower from a quality manufacturer seems like a reasonable way to go to me.  Keep the Oly in long term storage as an emergency backup.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Based on the OPs location, I would say put that lower (or the whole gun) up for sale on NE Shooters for a reasonable price and never look back.  You will do someone a favor in a ban state and end up with a better rifle for your money as you should be able to do a substantial upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
sounds like that lower could be a pcc candidate.

Maybe a 9mm mag block and use it to host a 9mm upper?

Could be worth a shot rather than shelve it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At the very least try a different mag catch. Yours might be out of spec.
View Quote

Yeah or maybe shave a little off the top of the mag catch and see if it'll go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a new stripped lower.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]
My only experience with Olympic was the badly undersized mag well on the specimens I looked at at a Las Vegas gunshow many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s your lower not the magazines.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a DPMS lower that is like this, absolutely hates PMAGS and Okay ind./D&H Mags. I've had luck with Lancers, Tapco, Thermold, and Troy
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
sounds like that lower could be a pcc candidate.

Maybe a 9mm mag block and use it to host a 9mm upper?

Could be worth a shot rather than shelve it.
View Quote

Replace the lower and look into this idea, or else sell the lower to the one or two remaining ban states.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#28]
You can also go to a machine shop that has experience with AR's and re machine the inside and it will shave off any points that are out of tolerance  
I have.a Sendra M16A1 that looks like that is what the previous owner did
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
If you’re good with a file you can draw file a magwell.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you’re good with a file you can draw file a magwell.
View Quote

I've done that before.  Didn't take much effort.  Or time.

It was done to two lowers from a fly-by-night local company that I've never heard of before or since.  Purchased during a previous panic, and I felt very fortunate to be able to get them.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're talking about the SGW stop sign, I have one. It was made in late 1992 and I bought it in '98 as a new stripped lower. It's forged and the fit and finish is perfect except the wagwell is a little tight. I only used Colt and Okay ind. mags as they were the only ones that I found would drop freely. If I remember correctly, Magpul will also. I've been using it with a Tac Sol 22lr upper for awhile now and it runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a pre-ban Olympic (1993)
View Quote
May as well have a blue oval on the grill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Take the upper off the lower.

Insert (to lock in) the mags that fit and the mags that don't fit to see if the ones that don't stick up too high (probably a receiver issue).

Or if they still won't lock in (mag. catch issue).

Do the mags. lock in empty?  But not when full?  Maybe they require a more forceful seating effort.

I have a rifle (not and AR15) that uses AR15 magazines.  Some AR magazines will not lock in, some will.  I went through a box till I got 10 that would lock in and just put them with the rifle in the mag. pouches on the case.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I had an older Oly/SGW stop sign lower I got back in 87'  Thing never worked with Theramold magazines I had at the time.  Tight magwell but ran fine with USGI 20/30s which for some reason never in short supply for me.

CD
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS lower that is like this, absolutely hates PMAGS and Okay ind./D&H Mags. I've had luck with Lancers, Tapco, Thermold, and Troy
View Quote

Those first three are about all I have.  I think I'd be ditching lowers.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Id try a new mag catch
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Id try a new mag catch LOWER.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Instead of trying to find mags that fit your rifle. Maybe try finding a rifle that fits your mags.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Instead of trying to find mags that fit your rifle. Maybe try finding a rifle that fits your mags.  
View Quote

Just went through a similar ordeal with my LMT lower recently. Magwell dimensions are stingy as all get out.

Cut my Pmag collection by a third.

Now I'm back to every mag/gun plays nice together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]
If it's an Olympic get rid of the gun. If it's a LMT get rid of the mags. Too funny.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey OP, either check or have a smith check your magazine catch. While lowers can be made out of spec it's more likely one of the small parts.

By the way, Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If it's an Olympic get rid of the gun. If it's a LMT get rid of the mags. Too funny.
View Quote

The LMT measures within spec, (albeit at the low end) the Pmag dimensions are all over the place.

The Oly guns are well known for being out of spec. Many of which will not function correctly even with USGI mags.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The LMT measures within spec, (albeit at the low end) the Pmag dimensions are all over the place.

The Oly guns are well known for being out of spec. Many of which will not function correctly even with USGI mags.

View Quote

I'll agree with you on the Pmags and some of the Oly lowers. Those cast ones were pretty bad but a lot of them still ran ok. My late '93 forged K4B A2 has been running fine since it was built. Yes, I did buy it new. Couldn't afford the Colt I really wanted. Must have gotten a bonus as it freely drops all the mags I own.

Did they build some junk hot messes? Definitely. Did Colt, Armalite 2 and Bushmaster? Definitely. For example, search "plastic buffer". Everyone made junk but Olympic made a whole line of trash with their entry level cast receiver guns (forget what they called them but they were 16" barreled carbines with an A2 stock) and their reputation just couldn't recover. I've heard of QC and service problems after the cast guns that likely didn't help their image. But to say anything is junk based on the name and without looking at it is absurd. That'd be like me saying,"I hate LMT rifles because they have tight magwells and they all should go to the recycler."

To the OP: Only replace the receiver if it is in fact "out of spec". Have it checked by a reputable gunsmith, preferably one that knows AR15's well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Just for the sake of possibility, did you try adjusting the magazine catch?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top