Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2020 12:24:39 AM EDT
I may pad the stash with a few more aluminum mags.

How are the current commercial Brownells mags compared to the D&H that are everywhere?

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally have not had any issues with either and would not hesitate to buy either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are GTG. I don't really purchase either since Okay's (which I think are a bit higher quality) are about the same $.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar-15-magazines/

The first two D&H would be my choice. At $10 a pop can't beat it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally have not had any issues with either and would not hesitate to buy either.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
D&H.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both are GTG. I don't really purchase either since Okay's (which I think are a bit higher quality) are about the same $.
View Quote
Maybe now, but Okay was hard to get for a while.

I don't own any Brownells magazines, but I have stacks of D&H and use them regularly.  No issues at all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Who makes the mags for Brownells?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a video on YT of the manufacturing facility for Brownell’s magazines at a small town in eastern Iowa.   I don’t remember the name of the sole source contractor for Brownell’s magazines.    As far as I know this company has never sold any magazines under their own name.

I have at least a dozen Brownell’s AR-15 mags and they have been gtg.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a video on YT of the manufacturing facility for Brownell’s magazines at a small town in eastern Iowa.   I don’t remember the name of the sole source contractor for Brownell’s magazines.    As far as I know this company has never sold any magazines under their own name.

I have at least a dozen Brownell’s AR-15 mags and they have been gtg.
View Quote

Co-Line Manufacturing was for a bit.

IIRC,  Brownells has/had the tooling and at one point manufactured them in house. (I may be mistaken).
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, you're correct - they were making mags on their own tooling back when they had the .gov contract.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC,  Brownells has/had the tooling and at one point manufactured them in house. (I may be mistaken).

No, you're correct - they were making mags on their own tooling back when they had the .gov contract.

I thought so but wasn't 100%. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar-15-magazines/

The first two D&H would be my choice. At $10 a pop can't beat it.
View Quote

They kind of can be beat, because you can usually find them cheaper. BCM unfortunately isn't normally the cheapest place to shop, and $10 is at the high end of the price range for D&H mags. PSA used to put them on sale for $6, and they are normally $8-$9, but they seem to have raised the price to $11.49 right now (presenting them as on sale, marked down from $14.99). DSG has them (DSG branded) for $8.90, but that may be with my first responder discount. Their $7 2-day shipping always makes them a good place to order from. If I'm going to pay $10, I'd prefer to buy Okay mags, personally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As I understand it, Brownell’s purchased Co-Line lock, stock, & barrel.
View Quote

I was curious which direction things progressed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Co-Line is the business which was manufacturing the AR-15 magazines but I couldn’t remember the name.  I looked for the video but couldn’t find it.   Checking the address it is the same location as the company in the video showing their manufacturing facility.   I think the video was released on an anniversary for ten years they had been manufacturing AR-15 magazines for government contracts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Their gov contract mags are damn good, I have a pile of ‘em.  

Wasn’t sure if they were still the same since then.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Their gov contract mags are damn good, I have a pile of ‘em.  

Wasn’t sure if they were still the same since then.
View Quote

Most of mine are the contract mags with tan followers, I've got ~15 that have green followers also. Never had an issue with any.

IIRC, Brownells offered them with Magpul followers for a minute.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
It's my guess (although I stand to be corrected) that you won't see $6 D&H mags for a while, if ever again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one in July 2018 (checked my old orders) that came with a foliage green Magpul follower and was packaged in one of those clear plastic clamshells. I'd seen them in plastic bags with a Brownells label stapled to the top in stores a few years prior to that. They've been through a number of variations of their mags and seem to change the product number every couple years (the item number I purchased, 078-000-113MB, is no longer listed).
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I bought one in July 2018 (checked my old orders) that came with a foliage green Magpul follower and was packaged in one of those clear plastic clamshells. I'd seen them in plastic bags with a Brownells label stapled to the top in stores a few years prior to that. They've been through a number of variations of their mags and seem to change the product number every couple years (the item number I purchased, 078-000-113MB, is no longer listed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I'm not crazy. Good to know.  

Thanks Scout.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#21]
They’re showing to have stainless springs and Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey Sam, you finding these in stock somewhere? If so, I'd be interested in the details.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey Sam, you finding these in stock somewhere? If so, I'd be interested in the details.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I looked Brownells had FDE teflon in stock but not dry film.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most of mine are the contract mags with tan followers, I've got ~15 that have green followers also. Never had an issue with any.

View Quote

I've got a few 30rd Brownells date of production 3-09 that have a grey magpul follower.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I had no idea they offered anything other than gray/dry film. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been tempted a few times to order a couple of the tan Brownells mags to check them out, but when they're $14-$16 and Okay's are $11-$12...
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been tempted a few times to order a couple of the tan Brownells mags to check them out, but when they're $14-$16 and Okay's are $11-$12...
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The mag bodies on the last Brownells magazines I bought looked more like Okay mag bodies than they did the older Brownells ones I got marked 08. Even the name location on the side was relocated to where Okay starts theirs and the cage code and dating line up where Okays are at. Few other similarities to the Okay also on the newer body compared to the older ones I have.
View Quote

A lot of speculation that the bodies are Okay. I haven't seen any confirmation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Brownells mags are the best USGI AR15 magazines available, IMHO.  With their $10 off coupon codes, you can usually get them for around $10 a mag, and they are currently only offered with USGI followers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Brownells mags are the best USGI AR15 magazines available, IMHO.  With their $10 off coupon codes, you can usually get them for around $10 a mag, and they are currently only offered with USGI followers.
View Quote

Plainly stated on their page:
"Includes Magpul anti-tilt follower"

Milspec grey in stock now. LINK
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are registered for the military/LEO/1st responder discount you can get the Brownell's mags a bit cheaper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was a typo, I meant to put Magpul but had USGI on the brain I guess!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They kind of can be beat, because you can usually find them cheaper. BCM unfortunately isn't normally the cheapest place to shop, and $10 is at the high end of the price range for D&H mags. PSA used to put them on sale for $6, and they are normally $8-$9, but they seem to have raised the price to $11.49 right now (presenting them as on sale, marked down from $14.99). DSG has them (DSG branded) for $8.90, but that may be with my first responder discount. Their $7 2-day shipping always makes them a good place to order from. If I'm going to pay $10, I'd prefer to buy Okay mags, personally.
View Quote

Those $6 psa D&H mags were definitely a great deal they are only $1 cheaper than BCM labeled d&h now. I actually think BCM went down a bit. I was going to order a 10 pack from PSA with free shipped but came across this thread and seen the BCM for a dollar more no free shipping but I been needing some BCM rail panels so I got 10 BCM versions.

Cost me exactly $20 more but I killed 2 birds on another need and in the long run the BCM roll mark is cooler so it's all good plus fast shipping.

Just wish I could of snagged the grey ones that were oos. I would recommend everyone grab 10 to 20 to tuck away at these prices.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy aluminum mag 10 packs from DSG. 99% sure they are D&H
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, DSG branded are made by D&H.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D&H mags are sold branded specifically for a few vendors, DSG/PSA/BCM to name a few.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Both D&H and Brownell are good to go....

....but I prefer the slick Teflon coating of the D&H mags.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

How does it hold up?  I’ve never had a teflon coated mag.  I’ve redone a few GI mags with Perma-Slik and they’re easily made to look like new if you’re into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#40]
The thing I don't like about D&H magazines is that they seem to have softer aluminum bodies.  I have done a fully loaded drop test from 3 feet onto carpet and it deformed the mag to where it wouldn't drop free.  I can drop a brownells mag from 5 feet onto concrete and get almost no deformation.  Brownells has the toughest USGI mag bodies I've tested.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How does it hold up?  I’ve never had a teflon coated mag.  I’ve redone a few GI mags with Perma-Slik and they’re easily made to look like new if you’re into that sort of thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience the slick Teflon coating on the D&H mags holds up really well.  Better than the dry film type of the Brownells.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In my experience the slick Teflon coating on the D&H mags holds up really well.  Better than the dry film type of the Brownells.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

When newly opened, the dri film lube rubs off rather easily.  However, once exposed to the air for an extended period of time, the dry lube almost solidifies and becomes a teflon like slick grey coating that is very durable, and not nearly as easy to rub off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The thing I don't like about D&H magazines is that they seem to have softer aluminum bodies.  I have done a fully loaded drop test from 3 feet onto carpet and it deformed the mag to where it wouldn't drop free.  I can drop a brownells mag from 5 feet onto concrete and get almost no deformation.  Brownells has the toughest USGI mag bodies I've tested.
View Quote

Same here, I prefer them for aluminum magazines, but they are also about the price of a Lancer and more expensive than Pmags so I don't have many.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Remember Brownell’s mags are satisfaction guaranteed for life....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I may pad the stash with a few more aluminum mags.

How are the current commercial Brownells mags compared to the D&H that are everywhere?

View Quote

I just bought some PSA labeled D&H.  I have an inherent mistrust of anything made in Iowa.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe now, but Okay was hard to get for a while.

I don't own any Brownells magazines, but I have stacks of D&H and use them regularly.  No issues at all.
View Quote

Okay is still hard to find.  Everywhere seems to be sold out.  I bought some PSA labeled D&H recently because I couldn't find any Okay except the much more expensive variants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just bought some PSA labeled D&H.  I have an inherent mistrust of anything made in Iowa.

View Quote

You need to get out more often.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You need to get out more often.
View Quote

I spent over 30 years in Iowa, been there, done that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have an inherent mistrust of anything made in Iowa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have an inherent mistrust of anything made in Iowa.

Quoted:

I spent over 30 years in Iowa, been there, done that.

But we make the good shit.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top