Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2016 1:38:38 PM EDT
I posted for some advice about a year ago.  Unfortunately I cannot find that advice any longer.  I have more then a few (around 10) older Alum 30 round USGI AR Mags.  They were used as range magazines.  They are very well worn and some have stuff written on them with a marker and such.  I would like to rejuvenate them and make them back into dependable magazines.

So, I was going to pick up some new springs and Magpul followers.  Then figure out how to refinish them.  Which leads me to some questions.  

What sort of finish should I use on the mags?

Seems like someone suggested a spray can of Teflon paint????  But I don't remember what it was called.

Should I sandblast them first or just degrease them.....and spray them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am sure someone else has already done this.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
OH,

Also.........should I get SS replacement springs..........or CS replacement springs?

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks.  This helps.
But.......$25 for the Teflon paint they suggest seems to kill the incentive on cost......just to fix 10 mags.  LOL

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.  This helps.
But.......$25 for the Teflon paint they suggest seems to kill the incentive on cost......just to fix 10 mags.  LOL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.  This helps.

I, personally, would just bead blast them and spray them with Rustoleum Flat Clear.  Uniform color and keeps the aluminum from oxidizing
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably not worth the effort.  Sell them for $6ea on the EE then buy Okay SureFeed mags for $9 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably not worth the effort.  Sell them for $6ea on the EE then buy Okay SureFeed mags for $9 shipped.
View Quote

This is the only correct answer.  Mags ain't worth messin' with right now.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't bead blast... that will remove the anodizing.  No, the gray finish is not anodizing.  The gold tint (or silver) under
the gray finish is the anodizing.  Anodizing makes the surface of aluminum harder and corrosion resistant.  Aluminum
corrosion looks like white powder or sugar.  

Wash the bodies in a sink of warm water with a little detergent and a bottle brush.

Set aside and let dry.

Floorplates can be sprayed with Krylon "Semi Flat Black", which is more an eggshell finish.  Looks and holds up better
than Flat Black.

Spray the body with Moly Disulfide Dry Lube.  That's what was originally used on those mags.  

Reassemble with USGI green, or Magpul anti-tilt followers and new springs.  I would not bother replacing the USGI green
followers, but the original black followers need to go.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are only interested in fixing them to have more mags around, you'd be better off selling the to people in Massachusetts. Pre-ban mags sell for anywhere from $20 to $50 depending on condition. At that price you can buy plenty of PMAGS and ammo to fill 'em.

P.S. This only applies if they were manufactured pre 1994, otherwise disregard.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just buy new ones and save the old ones for some schmuck panic buying in 2017.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top