Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:23:16 PM EDT
A good friend go mine gave me a pre-ban Colt Sporter Match HBAR as a birthday gift.  He bought it brand new around 1992-1994 and sat in his closet since unfired.  I noticed the original mags that came with it are labeled 222 REM.  I know these were made for export but is it normal for these to come with this model that was bought in the US and be limited to 5 rounds from the factory?  

Pictured with a 30 round Colt factory mag with a date stamp of 3-94

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There were .222 models offered for sale in the U.S.

IIRC, these were originally manufactured for Italy.

A REALLY rare one would be the .17 Remington.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There were .222 models offered for sale in the U.S.

IIRC, these were originally manufactured for Italy.

A REALLY rare one would be the .17 Remington.
View Quote

I know there were few .222 Colt ARs but these mags came with a .223 rifle.  Maybe a factory mixup when packing the accessories?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#3]
that looks like a vintage S&W sight screwdriver in the last picture.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that looks like a vintage S&W sight screwdriver in the last picture.
View Quote

It sure is.  I have the other aluminum cleaning rod also.  That was the only pic I had of the manual.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You have significantly better friends than I do
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had that exact same rifle.  I bought it in 1994.  I can't remember whether it came with one or two mags, but I do remember it (or them) being the 20 round mag body with the 5 round block in it(not marked 222 though).  Needless to say ridding the magazine of that stupidity was job one.

They are nice rifles, but I added an Accu Wedge to mine to eliminate the sloppy fit between the upper and lower.  The Bushmaster XM177 I purchased in 1993 actually had a much better upper/lower fit.

Oh, and Op, you have a great friend there!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top