Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2013 6:14:17 PM EDT
I know that pistol mags can have the tendency to weaken and loosen if you leave rounds in the mags for too long. I know springs are spring, and they can all weaken. How long would you leave standard PMAGs fully loaded before unloading and letting the springs recover? Speed loaders or not, loading mags isn't my favorite activity.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
from what ive gathered on arfcom, the compression and decompression is what weakens the springs. So leaving them in them loaded is no problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
from what ive gathered on arfcom, the compression and decompression is what weakens the springs. So leaving them in them loaded is no problem.
View Quote

This is my understanding as well, haven't graduated yet though

Will
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
That old discussion.  In previous threads on the same subject, people have mentioned mags for 1911's that were loaded since "sometime in WWII", and they still functioned fine.
With PMAGs, I'd suggest that you load them, and then get around to firing them sometime before you die.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my 2 cents....

Quality Mags should be able to handle decades of being loaded. I know I have mags that have been loaded for 25+ years, and they still work fine. I would suggest you have two or three groups if you are not comfortable doing that. 6 virgin mags with enough ammo on stripper clips to fill them and a Strip Lula in a Fifty cal ammo can. And your range mags loaded , ready for use. The third optional would be a group of "working" mags, the ones you use, abuse and have decided to just treat them like what they are.

Given the fact the Quality Mags really are pretty cheap for the AR.... that money spent will give you years of peace of mind. While you are at it buy a few 20 rounders for the bench.

These are quality mags at a fair price.
http://www.44mag.com/category/nhmtg

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
75 years ( I should be dead by then)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top