Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2013 11:57:14 AM EDT
Title says it all.  Why are manufacturers still date stamping magazines?  I could see it maybe being required for MIL contracts, but seriously; why are they doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's required for LE sales in some states with magazine restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's required for LE sales in some states with magazine restrictions.
View Quote

How can a state that has an asinine law in place requiring that post ban mags be labeled as such require that a manufacturer apply a date stamp to their product that very well may be sold in a state that does not require such labeling?  The point I guess I'm driving is that if there is no law requiring a date of manufacture be present; why are they doing so?  

I think it would be great if a Center Ind Magazine was produced with no date stamp.  Let's try to figure out when it was produced shall we....  Better question is, who the hell cares?  MA might.  Ca might too.  The point being is, I'd leave it up to them to determine when a particular magazine was manufactured.  We went 40 years having never indicated a mfg date on AR mags, let's go back to that unless it's required.

AFAIK, it's not required so the manufacturers should just knock it off already.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
No, no there is not. They do it to keep track of batches for QC and probably a requirement for Military or LE contracts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Might also help establish a magazine as pre ban if  the libtards  are ever successful with another national AWB.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Might also help establish a magazine as pre ban if  the libtards  are ever successful with another national AWB.  
View Quote

While true, there are already untold millions of unmarked magazines already in circulation.  It was because of this fact when the 94 ban took effect that it was not the onus of the person who possessed the magazine to prove it was preban.  That burden would fall to the prosecution to prove any magazine they suspected was in fact a post ban mag.  An unmarked mag is a mag like any other mag...  

I think of date stamping magazines much like the firearm manufacturers adopting the practice to serialize all firearms back in 1968.  Only I know they didn't adopt anything.  The requirement was passed into law and the manufacturers complied with the law.  There is no law to have a date stamped into a modern magazine so why do it at all?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea I wouldn't be dating the mags either.  If I was magpul, I wouldn't date any magazine past when ever those commies in co passed that horse shit magazine thing.  Then on purpose I'd lowball every gunstore on the boarder with co. Cheap magazines just across the boarder folks.  Why give the bastards the satisfaction?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea I wouldn't be dating the mags either.  If I was magpul, I wouldn't date any magazine past when ever those commies in co passed that horse shit magazine thing.  Then on purpose I'd lowball every gunstore on the boarder with co. Cheap magazines just across the boarder folks.  Why give the bastards the satisfaction?
View Quote

Yea, but I'm sure there will be like 90% non-compliance and a LOT of stippled mags. I'm sure every AR-15 owner in CO will have oily butter fingers that require lots of stippling. Especially near the top. However, like any good witch hunt, the liberals will throw the P-Mag owner off the cliff to see if they fly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I would date them all pre ban dates.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magpul has mfg. dates all of their mags.  I am inclined to think this is for QC purposes.  If a certain run of mags is found to be defective, it makes it much easier to identify them and replace them for the consumer.  I highly doubt they would ever try to dump undated mags in a market where they would otherwise be banned because they were manufactured after such laws went into effect.  They are not that type of company.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Dates are not 100% foolproof

This photo was taken February '09:
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top