Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2013 8:20:03 AM EDT
OK, I've been a lurker on the forum for a while and have read other's advice for years.  I wanted to try and contribute a little bit.  I own lots of different kinds of mags and wanted to chime in on the C-Products defense, old C-Products, and the ASM magazines.  I have personal experience with all now and would like to let others know my experience since they seem to be some of the only mags you can find at a semi-reasonable price.  Here goes:

C-Products (Old) 2009 magazines
These mags are not very good looking at all and are difficult to seat in my Windham.  In my LRB lower, they fit better.  I bought these when I first started out with my old DPMS and then kind of built a DPMS lower/ Stag upper rifle.  Same thing.  They were a very tight fit from mag to mag- basically inconsistent.  I thought I sold all of them with my old rifles but found 4 of them a couple months ago in a rifle case that were new in wrapper.  I forgot how crappy they were in fit and finish.  The areas where they are welded are horribly bad.  Maybe more a function of the metal stamping process than the welds themselves.  Definitely a bad batch and I can see how they got a bad name back then. Once seated (where possible), they functioned fine.  

CP Defense (November 2012 purchase from AIM surplus)
I love AIM and wanted some extra mags so I ordered some of these at a good price- $8.99 to see if they were any better than the older mags.  They were.  A lot better.  They arrived within 5 days of me ordering them.  The weld seams were neat, the feed lips matched up nice, and the finish was beautiful.  They functioned flawlessly, as well.  I was going to order more but...  December 2012 happened and I was slow to react.

ASC (Ordered 1/16/2013, Received 3/13/2013 from http://www.ammosc.com/)
I didn't know anything about this company but they had mags "in stock" so I bought some for $13.  As I come to find out, "in stock" means that they will ship them to you... eventually.  As I waited, I also researched and saw that ASC was a company using all of the old CProducts machinery to make their mags.  I was worried.  Once I finally received my mags (about two months later and after VERY limited responses from their customer service), I was pleasantly surprised.  The finish wasn't as good as the new CPD mags but it was better than regular USGI mags.  Welds were good, feed lips straight, and they functioned well.  

CP Defense (Ordered 1/20/13, Received 3/12/13 from http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/)
I saw some mags "available" from a facebook post from AR15News.com...  I bit on it and grabbed a few for $13.95 each.  Actually ordered just a few and then found out my girlfriend ordered me some without my knowing (gotta love her).  Also ordered some anti-tilt followers because my brownell's mags needed them and I couldn't find any.  We both ordered black mags.  She received her order last week but they were grey.  I don't really care.  I was curious to see if the manufacturing process for CPD would have slacked since they were trying to pump out mags as fast as possible.  They mags are nice.  They look just as good as my other CPD mags from November.  Except they're grey.  Still waiting on my order.  I haven't received any word of when they'd ship but I also never was charged for them.  Either way, I'm fine, but would take the mags if they became available.  Again, these were "in stock" when I ordered them but still don't have them almost 2 months later.  

Here are some pictures of the four mags in question:
http://imageshack.us/a/img443/2658/20130318102845.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5176/20130318102858.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7455/20130318102929.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The old C-Products magazines certainly weren't a work of art but I have not had any problems with them.  The newer ASC magazines have worked great too but I only have the 20s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry the pics didn't upload correctly...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have old & new &  see no functional difference.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have contacted the "new" company three times, and have never had a call or e-mail returned.

They can make a good product, but customer service appears to be lacking.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that was the most disappointing part.  Same thing here.  It wasn't until my stuff was ready to ship that they got back to me.  At least say "hey, you're not gonna get your shit for two months"...  that I'd be fine with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm assuming all these mags are aluminum? Would you mind throwing up a pic of the feed lips?
So far my experience with C prod mags has been stellar. I purchased my first ones in '07 and they were the Al Marlube finished ones. I ran 6 of them alongside a couple Gen 1 PMags and Parson manf USGI mags during a 4 day carbine course and didn't have a single issue.
The next ones I bought were the stainless steel black teflon finished right after the '08 election. No problems from them either. Below are pictures for reference. The marlube floor plates have "CProducts LLC New Britain CT" while the stainless steel have "CProducts LLC Newington CT" stamped on them.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
yes, all aluminum.  I'll get pics of the feed lips ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Good post
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My one experience with them was bad.  It took 2 rounds of exchanges to get 10 that worked right.  Then I got rid of them.  I don't understand why people continue wasting time and money dealing with those people.  Not only your time and money, but you enable them to stay in business.    There are several mag manufacturers out there that have great reputations.  Just buy from honest people rather then have to do tests to see if the mags you got are the good ones or bad ones.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite mags is a C-Products SS 20 rounder. I think I picked it up in mid '07.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top