Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2013 7:26:56 PM EDT
Will the magpul enhanced self leveling folowers work in NHMTG 20 rnd mags? Thier website says that theye are for USGI 30 rndr's, and I dont know if it is the same folower in 20 and 30 rnd. mags.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Same follower
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, thats all I needed to know.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Same follower

I don't think so... regular 20 round magazines and Magpul followers? Normally you would have to really chop up the follower to fit inside...
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Will the magpul enhanced self leveling folowers work in NHMTG 20 rnd mags? Thier website says that theye are for USGI 30 rndr's, and I dont know if it is the same folower in 20 and 30 rnd. mags.

No.  They are designed specifically for 30 round USGI type mags and NOT for straight bodied 20 round mags.  They can be butchered to work, but there is no point.  The 20 round follower needs to be able to tilt a bit, to accommodate the slight taper in the 5.56 round.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  They are designed specifically for 30 round USGI type mags and NOT for straight bodied 20 round mags.  They can be butchered to work, but there is no point.  The 20 round follower needs to be able to tilt a bit, to accommodate the slight taper in the 5.56 round.  

This.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
So how is the reliability of the 20's? All of my 30's were rebuilt with magpul internals and function fine, do the 20's need something similar?

ETA: Or should I keep my fingers crossed that I can find some pmag 20's before the stupid shit here in CO goes into efect in july?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So how is the reliability of the 20's? All of my 30's were rebuilt with magpul internals and function fine, do the 20's need something similar?

Excellent,NHMTG is the same magazine as Colt.
No,as was stated previously the striaght 20's follower needs to have some tilt for proper functioning.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, I think I will give them a try. I know PK firearms has them in stock, with a limit of 3 per order.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA: Or should I keep my fingers crossed that I can find some pmag 20's before the stupid shit here in CO goes into efect in july?

20-round straight USGI mags are the best mags for your AR15, IMO. They're what the rifle was originally designed for.

No, leave them as-is.

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Straight 20's are great. That said from what I am being told it was not until the mags became curved (when going to 30s) did the need for the no-tilt followers become needed...You are GTG.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

20-round straight USGI mags are the best mags for your AR15, IMO. They're what the rifle was originally designed for.  

No, leave them as-is.

I am refreshed to hear that 20 rounders are what the AR was designed for
This makes life so much easier than having brain cramps from all the differing noise and opinions on which to buy
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, leave them as-is.

This makes life so much easier than having brain cramps from all the differing noise and opinions on which to buy

25 rounds was the original magazine capacity for the AR15.
Info.

spelling
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, leave them as-is.

Info.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/cletussd/1289112171_zpsa5667de3.jpg

spelling

and my eyes are opened. hadn't heard of 25 rd. Those must be really collectible.
we cranked out a 30 rounder in Vietnam as soon as we saw the formidable AK had 30.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, leave them as-is.

Info.

spelling

Prototypes only.  25 rounders were never issued.  The original 20 round straight magazine(excluding the waffles which were stainless steel and considered junk) was and is the most reliable mag for the M16/AR15 ever, and they have been around for 50 years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, leave them as-is.

Info.

spelling

True, but as KurtVF stated it never went into production. They were not reliable mags. My main point was that straight mags are what the AR15 was designed for due to the shape of the mag well, which is also straight. Introducing curved magazines into the equation caused feeding problems, which we are only now finally able to rectify after 40+ years of trial & error.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#17]
The Magpul enhanced  followers will not work on 20 round Aluminum  Colt  G.I. magazines. I have many with the Aluminum followers & they work forever. The one with the Black followers like came with the Colt L.E.6920 etc. are a totality different design.
you would have to cut one of the legs off & shorten the other leg.
After doing that you would of not gained anything.

When I left Vietnam in Nov.1968 we only had the 20 Round Alum. with the Alum. followers. They were Colt & marked .223, not 5.56.
I believe the 30 round 5.56 came out sometime in 1969 for Vietnam.
The Ak-47 always had the 30 round mags. & we couldn't understand why we had the 20's & were told to load only 18, which was false & how many names are on that wall that shouldn't be there?
The Government people who design the AR-15 mag never had to use them in real Combat as in, life & death
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
To muddy the waters even more.....

Curved 20 round magazines as made by D&H, Cproducts, and ASC can and do use anti-tilt followers, the same as the 30 rounders.  They can also use the same springs, although they need a certain number of coils cut off to work in the 20.

But as everyone stated, the straight 20 rounders cannot use the anti tilt follower.  I think the followers need to tilt a bit with the curve of the ammo stack.

Something I've never been able to figure out though, is that Magpul used an anti tilt follower on their Gen 1 strait 20 round PMAG and I've never had a problem with them.  Although they have since abandoned their straight 20's and gone to their constant curve internal geometery on their M3 20 rounders.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top