Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2012 6:20:16 PM EDT
My 20 rounders are starting to give me problems after 40 years.  My aluminum 20's always worked great however I hear good things about Mag-Pul's.  I'd appreciate some in put before I order a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy some of each that way your covered.

I have gen2,gen3 pmags, Okay industries,Brownells and Center mags.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Its just a matter of taste.  Both get top reviews.  Have you thought about just putting new springs in the old ones AND buying new ones?  This is ARFCOM, get both.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You could get the best with Lancer 20's in the newer L5 config instead, $16.xx and $13.xx here:

Overall Lancers
Lancer 20's

Black smoke

Solid black

KingOfTheBumps

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the Lancer mags
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
+1 for the Lancer mags

+2
I also agree with the previous recomendation of trying new springs in your old magazines.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Brownells sales 20rd magazine rebuild kits.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got both, neither suck.  I love me some 20's...LOL.  Both of these are of good function and form.  Get both.  L2
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The 20 rounders I want to replace have spread at the top making them a bear to get in my rifles and are no longer drop free.  They still feed and lock the bolt open on the last shot, but after 40 years of continuous use they deserve an honorable retirement.  Some current grunts said they didn't like the Mag-Pul as the seem to release rounds when the magazine is accidentally dropped.  Other than that they all said they worked well.  My son in law recently came back from Afghanistan and took 16 Mag-Pul 30 rounders and had no complaint with them.  Hell, I'll probably order 10 of each and give them a try.  I'll also give the Lancers a try.  Thanks for the time in giving me some good sound advice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 20 rounders I want to replace have spread at the top making them a bear to get in my rifles and are no longer drop free.  They still feed and lock the bolt open on the last shot, but after 40 years of continuous use they deserve an honorable retirement.  Some current grunts said they didn't like the Mag-Pul as the seem to release rounds when the magazine is accidentally dropped.  Other than that they all said they worked well.  My son in law recently came back from Afghanistan and took 16 Mag-Pul 30 rounders and had no complaint with them.  Hell, I'll probably order 10 of each and give them a try.  I'll also give the Lancers a try.  Thanks for the time in giving me some good sound advice.

Please thank your son in law for me.  I appreciate his service.    

After that, go look at AIM Surplus, They have Lancer 20's on sale there as well.  Yes Sir, I own those too.  They also fall into the "don't suck" catagory.  

My list of 20's are as follows:

C Product curved 20's.  They have been good to me.  Some have had problems, I have not ever.  
Pmag 20's.  Like em'.  I use the different colors, for different loads.
Brownell's 20's.  I like them, they are straight, like the old skool mags used to be.
Lancer 20's,  Newest addition to the pile.  But they are solid equipment, and I suspect they will be great.  

Hope this helps, L2
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Go squishem a little in a padded vise.  
I have both brands and like each of them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Only 40 years??? What a POS.. I would never buy another mag like that if it only lasted 40 years.  I would go with something else and maybe you will reach 100 or even 200 years...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I've found Pmag 20s to be problematic.  Aluminum straight 20s, even ones from the 60s/70s, have been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've found Pmag 20s to be problematic.  Aluminum straight 20s, even ones from the 60s/70s, have been flawless.

Big, what problems have you had?  I have read and heard about bolt hold open issues, but never had it happen with mine at all.  Did they maybe change something along the way?  The great thing though, is that MP is fierce in their CS department.  Real class acts for sure.  L2
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have and use both in my range bag. Try some of each...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I too will give a big *thumbs up* to the 20rd Lancer mags.  I have 15 or so of the USGI mags and they obviously work as good as it gets as well, but the Lancer mags are just smoooooth.  The rubber pad on the base is nice and gosh darn it people just like 'em.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd go with either Colt or NHMTG 20 round mags.  They are both made by the same company (OKAY Industries) who also supplies the government with USGI 30rgd mags.  Just my 2 cents.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top