Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2010 8:26:17 PM EDT
Gang,

My state has a 5-round mag capacity limit.  I like using 30rd mags because in a pinch I can use them as a rest.  They're also easier (faster) to swap.

How would one go about mechanically limiting the capacity, without causing failures to feed?  In my shotguns I use wooden dowels.  I assume I could use a wooden spacer, but I'm concerned about causing a problem with the feeding.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The floor plates of most mags will side off. You could put a wooden spacer under the mag spring. Maybe you'd have to experiment with the length of the spacer but I think it'd work.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
With some measurements you could probably drill a hole along the spine of the magazine and place a rivet to limit to 5 rounds.  This might be easier than figuring out how to use a wooden spacer without causing the feeding issues. Unfortunately the rivet will make it pretty close to impossible to remove the follower to clean/replace. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yo may want to look into whether or not the modification has to be permanent to be legal. Some states require it. Why not just buy some  rd. mags? I wouldn't want a long mag protruding to snag on brush or branches myself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not just buy some  5rd. mags? I wouldn't want a long mag protruding to snag on brush or branches myself.

agreed, and also if shooting with anything even looking like a 6 rd mag is attracting unwanted eyes

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume this is a hunting law? I know in NY at least, the hunting law doesn't state that the modification be permanent, just that it not hold more than 5 rounds.  The AWB mag capacity law does have the "readily restored or converted to accept more" verbiage, but for hunting, EnCon just wants to see that you can't have more then 5 in the mag when you're in the field.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a rifle, in the field, for a living.  Not concerned about a 30-round mag catching on the brush.  

I can buy shotguns in Wal-Mart all day long with 5 and 7 round magazines that come with dowels to limit capacity, mag does not have to be permanently altered AFAIK.

I'll try drilling a hole and putting in a screw.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Where I live we have to hunt, if semi auto, with max 2 rounds.

Yes!

But we may own and shoot with any mag we like, as long as the gun itself is legal.

So I would take a 20 rounder ( I think it will be easier with the straight design ), drill a hole in the base plate, solder on a nut, and insert a threaded piece until it blocks the follower to hold two rounds. I would loctite the "screw".

Or put on a second nut, solder it, and cut the threaded piece to lenght. Or just take a really long screw and cut to lenght.  Screw in tight, and you have a 2 rounder.Unscrew, and you have a 20 rounder.

Hermann
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Is magpul making 5/30 rd mags? 5 rd cap 30 rd body?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
just order one like this
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems, some Gents don´t get the idea.

The Idea is that the 2 rounder looks EXACTLY like, say, a 10 ( M 14 ) or 20 rounder ( M 14 and AR 15 ) ...

If anybody wants to know, I have two 2 rounders to show around.

;-)

I mean, who would search a fellow hunter???

Added Bonus is, that in a ITSHTF situation, it takes just seconds to have one more super reliable, mag spring hardly ever compressed, full capacity mag.

Hermann

P.S.: it´s really important to keep a "three round"  max ryhtm!

;-)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top