Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2010 4:50:08 PM EDT
Why all the love for the Pmag?  Mine don't drop free.

I got about 10 in a trade , seems I got the shaft

I haven't filed them down as of yet  ,  Is that what it takes?

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got 6 different kinds of lowers with every version of window'd & non-window'd M, non-M PMAGS - they all drop free for me...  NEVER had to mod a PMAG.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had to mod them either....I know with some lowers, that are even slightly out of spec, wont let the P-mags drop free as they are a little bit thicker than USGI mags....could u have bad mags, sure.  Try getting another one from a completely different batch, if it doesnt drop free, the issue is most likely yer lower.  I'd say try sanding them slightly until they drop.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#3]
older and newer PMags drop free in my LWRC lower and I was told I may have issues with it.....maybe your magwell is a shade too tight???
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Because it's a spec. Some lowers are at the extremes of those specs. Hence why regular mags drop fine yet pmags don't.
Pmags are also made to a spec. Sometimes those don't match up to the lowers they are used in.
I've seen them drop & not drop from many different lowers. 1 of them not dropping free from a 6920.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
They do drop free from my Ar57 lower, I'll just swap lowers
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine all drop free.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
No PMags drop from my early vintage PWA lower. Fortunately the EMags do!
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
So  does any one know if   Rev Ms  Drop out of LMT lowers ???
i know emags  do (to expensive)
but my  original  pmags dont
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Drop free in my Colt 6920.
Do NOT drop free in my Colt CAR-15A2.

Two Colts, two different results. I will keep my PMAGS, but any new mags will be GI issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have three windowed pmags (all Rev M).  Two drop free in my Noveske, the third didn't.  It would drop about an inch before getting hung up.  It was the top back corner of the side surfaces were it was getting caught.  I took some 400 grip sand paper wrapped around a block and sanded the top, back corner of each side.  Using the sand paper wrapped around a block ensures that you will only be sanding the high spots.  It ended up making one tiny spot on each side smooth which means that these spots were high.  The mag now drops free with no problem.  Took about a minute of work, and you would have to look very hard to determine which mag it was that was sanded.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I only have 3 Pmags - 2 out of 3 drop from my 2 Bushmaster lowers, the third drops if it has some ammo in it and comes loose when empty with a tap. All 3 drop from the RRA lower.

Lee
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Two Colts, two different results. I will keep my PMAGS, but any new mags will be GI issue.

I'm waiting for someone to tell you your Colt AR 15 is out of Colt spec.  Didn't someone on this forum try to say that AR's and M16's (magwells) were made to diffrent specs??  It woud be interesting but I would need to see some real proof.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Contact Magpul and tell them what rifle your using and your problem and see if they know of any issues with that lower and their mags dropping free.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Last spring when I bought mags for my very first build the Pmags were the only way to go. So I purchased a few and they fit fine in my Essential Arms lower.

Then I built my second AR around a beautiful billet lower that I picked up on a killer special late last summer and my Pmags were too chunky and refused to drop free, empty or loaded. I asked here what was up. Most everybody replied that my magwell was out of spec and that I should take a file to my work-of-art billet lower. That stupidity was out of the question and I just lived with it because my USGI mags all fit and functioned perfectly.

Then another thread started with the same issues and a member suggested sanding down the high spots on the Pmags, viola, custom fit Pmags.

And just a couple weeks ago my Aero Precision lower wouldn't drop-free the same set of Pmags, different high spots that got sanded down as well.

Now last spring the owner and CEO of Magpul came into the thread and stated that his Pmags were all fitted to a Colt AR-15 lower receiver. And that his mags were not the problem and that any fitment issues were due soley to out of spec lowers. Then several different Colt owners said that many of their Pmags refused to drop free from their various Colt receivers. The universe then imploded and the topic died quietly.

The topic kept reappearing and several times the same members repeated what Magpul's CEO stated, that Pmags were made to the TDP and that any non-Colt lower receiver not dropping Pmags freely were out of spec and should be butchered to fit the Pmags in question or sent back to the manufacturer. Again, different sets of Colt owners sited problems with their Pmags not dropping freely from their various Colt lowers. Again the universe imploded.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a single PMag (20s and 30s) I use in my PWA lower would drop free until I shaved the casting sprue flush with the mag.  I didn't have to remove any more material, just the sprue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a LMT Lower and Bushmaster...

Above the date code there is a M# (M1, M2...M7, etc).  I am assuming the M# is a mold reference number but I don't know.
The mags I tested were from 3/09 and are all black.

PMAG MAG211-BLK

So far I tested
3x M1 marked do not fall free
3x M2 marked do not fall free
1x M3 marked fall free
3x M4 marked fall free

Just to mix it up...
1x M4 (4/09, OD) fall free
1x M1 (1/09, Black) did not fall free

Results for BOTH lowers: All the M1 and M2 failed to drop free. All the M3 and M4 fell free easily.

I will test a few more M#/Date Combo's and see what I find.

I read were some people were having mixed results with other lowers.
Of the mags that drop free and don't, has anyone else noted what markings have made a difference?
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not a single PMag (20s and 30s) I use in my PWA lower would drop free until I shaved the casting sprue flush with the mag.  I didn't have to remove any more material, just the sprue.

I will try this out: if you tell me what is the casting sprue?

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try this out: if you tell me what is the casting sprue?

The casting sprue is where the hole in the mold exists to allow material to be injected into it.  If you ever built a plastic model, the sprue is the stuff AROUND the model parts.  The same principle applies to pmags, since they are molded plasti...AHEM polymer.

There is a place where you can see some material overruns, the mold.  Sand/shave it off.  There will also be a little flashing around the seams, same applies.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I have PMAGS from 2008, and the newer Rev M.  

The PMAGS (windowed and non-windowed) do not drop free from my LWRC M6A2, or my LMT CQB Piston.    The Rev M will drop free from the LMT, but not the LWRC.

I may have to buy some mil-spec stainless mags for those guns or try an emag.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I have older Pmags and new Rev M ones, they both drop free out of my rifle and all my friends
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm waiting for someone to tell you your Colt AR 15 is out of Colt spec.  Didn't someone on this forum try to say that AR's and M16's (magwells) were made to diffrent specs??  It woud be interesting but I would need to see some real proof.

I'll say it. His Colt AR-15A2 carbine is out of spec.

The machines that day were just a tad bit out-of-adjustment when the lower was made in 1987 (let's say it's a preban), and it got past inspection since they were destined for the civilian gun market, not the military.

Point is, Colt will put stuff out that's not quite right, just as Magpul may put out a batch of mags that's a tad bit oversized.

If Colt were perfect, both rifles would drop that magazine, not just one of them.

FWIW, the single Colt AR I own, a 1975 SP1, drops free all my PMags with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#24]
It is interesting that 30 round pmags will not drop free from 2 diffierant RRA lowers, yet the 20 round pmags will
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Molar-

Do the 30rd Pmags that don't drop free have a M1 or M2 above the date code?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last spring when I bought mags for my very first build the Pmags were the only way to go. So I purchased a few and they fit fine in my Essential Arms lower.

Then I built my second AR around a beautiful billet lower that I picked up on a killer special late last summer and my Pmags were too chunky and refused to drop free, empty or loaded. I asked here what was up. Most everybody replied that my magwell was out of spec and that I should take a file to my work-of-art billet lower. That stupidity was out of the question and I just lived with it because my USGI mags all fit and functioned perfectly.

Then another thread started with the same issues and a member suggested sanding down the high spots on the Pmags, viola, custom fit Pmags.

And just a couple weeks ago my Aero Precision lower wouldn't drop-free the same set of Pmags, different high spots that got sanded down as well.

Now last spring the owner and CEO of Magpul came into the thread and stated that his Pmags were all fitted to a Colt AR-15 lower receiver. And that his mags were not the problem and that any fitment issues were due soley to out of spec lowers. Then several different Colt owners said that many of their Pmags refused to drop free from their various Colt receivers. The universe then imploded and the topic died quietly.

The topic kept reappearing and several times the same members repeated what Magpul's CEO stated, that Pmags were made to the TDP and that any non-Colt lower receiver not dropping Pmags freely were out of spec and should be butchered to fit the Pmags in question or sent back to the manufacturer. Again, different sets of Colt owners sited problems with their Pmags not dropping freely from their various Colt lowers. Again the universe imploded.

Not true at all, but trying to make me sound condescending was a nice touch.

When designed the PMag a decision was made to build to the Colt Military magwell spec and not try for 100% compatibility with 3rd party receivers.

To come up with this spec we measured a few Colt factory M16s (Not any AR15s) from various time periods and got the minimum dimensions. Then we reduced these dimensions further to get the minimum pass for the PMag to drop free, which our test gauges are built from. Every PMag is tested TWICE during manufacture and assembly to pass this requirement.

If your PMag does not drop free then you magwell is not built to the specs that we test our PMags to. Feedback from military units using Colt M4s do not show any issue of the PMag not dropping free. If you have this problem the solution is currently as follows.

Modify of replace the magazine or modify or replace the lower receiver.

In the mag replacement option there is the EMag which is designed to lock in and drop free of very tight mag wells such as the HK 416

Are calling me a liar?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:00:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are calling me a liar?

I am not calling anyone, anything.

That said, I will say your account is inaccurate and misleading.

We build to a particular standard that is defined to the mission of the PMag, which is to fit and function in the current US Military M4.

This may change in future versions of the PMag but for now this is the standard we have set for ourselves.

Inaccurate and misleading exactly how?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maineyack,

What's the issue here?  You're not happy with the answer given?  He offered an explination of our QC and solutions to solve your issues.  

We've sold millions of PMAG's.  Millions.  Not many people have issues with drop free in the grand scheme of things.  Those that have issues either use EMAG's, mod their mags or don't use them.  That's it.  If you don't beleive there are out of spec lowers in the marketplace you're not in touch with reality.  

Move along.  

Anyone want my last Magpul product in my home?

$12.95 will get you one black 20rd PMag, shipped. Got rid of the rest two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#32]
They drop free in my colts, stag, and an anvil arms for me.  The only thing I found that did not drop free was a Mega I had.  Apparently there was a tight lower issue and they replaced mine for free.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Molar-

Do the 30rd Pmags that don't drop free have a M1 or M2 above the date code?

M2
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Tried a PMAG in my Spikes lower, did not drop free.  EMAGS do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll say it. His Colt AR-15A2 carbine is out of spec.

The machines that day were just a tad bit out-of-adjustment when the lower was made in 1987 (let's say it's a preban), and it got past inspection since they were destined for the civilian gun market, not the military.

Point is, Colt will put stuff out that's not quite right, just as Magpul may put out a batch of mags that's a tad bit oversized.

If Colt were perfect, both rifles would drop that magazine, not just one of them.

FWIW, the single Colt AR I own, a 1975 SP1, drops free all my PMags with no issues.

Did you work for/at Colt?  I thought all the dimensions/specifications were top secret.  Why would the standards be looser for the civilian market??

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#36]
PMags are great products and I really would be very comfortable having just PMags in my stash, IF I didn't have to worry about the drop free issue

currently I have 2 rifles built off of Rock River lowers and one off of a DPMS lower.

out of the 8 30rnd PMags I have (all M2 1/09) 7 of them drop fee out of the DPMS

But none would drop free out of the Rock River lowers.

It is obvious that the rock river mag wells are tighter than the DPMS mag well.If you slowly insert and extract a mag can feel the difference, even with USGI but they still drop free out of both.

I did sand down one PMag to make it drop free in the rock river lowers. it only took a few minutes and didn't really result in much material being removed. First I coated the inside of the mag well with CLP then inserted the Mag, when I removed the Mag I could see the contact points and where it need to be sanded.

Now I am deciding between modifying all my current and future PMags, replacing lowers, of just sticking with USGI.

*disclaimer - I am not a Magpul hater or Fanboy, Ido  have  Magpul components on my rifles because they are the parts I am confident in, just like the non-Magpul components. However my son's rifle looks like it just walked out of the MOE catalog :)

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top