Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:14:10 PM EDT
I saw someone selling some new ones. I haven't heard anything about them.  What's the scoop?
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You know the rules: post a link to the sale.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged, because I'd like to know too. Despite colored tape and being marked with a metallic silver Sharpie I still have PMags disappear at carbine classes

If Magpul sold PMags that were pink with purple polka dots I'd buy a wheelbarrow full of them...because nobody would ever steal them.

Shotdown, thank you for your service
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to buy one for the hell of it.
Blue PMags

CJan_NH, thanks for your support.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That blue sure is purty!
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Posted: 1/10/2010 11:21:14 AM
We've done some small runs of the orange and blue PMAG's but have not made them an official productiuon item.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Tagged, because I'd like to know too. Despite colored tape and being marked with a metallic silver Sharpie I still have PMags disappear at carbine classes

If Magpul sold PMags that were pink with purple polka dots I'd buy a wheelbarrow full of them...because nobody would ever steal them.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3051259309_0510402539.jpg?v=0

Firebird, where do I sign up?

Of course, my wife and daughter would probably start swiping those...

...sometimes I feel like I just can't win.

Edited, because even Google spellcheck hates me today...

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Blue PMAGs are built exclusively for Ultimate Training Munitions (UTM) - UTM Safety Blue PMAG

So putting live ammo in there would go against their intended design...

So how many limited edition runs with the bolt-faced-logo will you guys run for arfcom?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Blue PMAGs are built exclusively for Ultimate Training Munitions (UTM) - UTM Safety Blue PMAG

So putting live ammo in there would go against their intended design...

So how many limited edition runs with the bolt-faced-logo will you guys run for arfcom?

I'd like to know this as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought blue and pink were featured in the 2008 or 2009 catalog at SHOT?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]
$30 each...are you kidding me!?! I don't care if they're 24 kt gold, sea foam, taupe, or whatever...that is ridiculous! If you truly feel the need for colored PMags dye them. This process works amazingly well with plastic products. Totally permanent. And I'm guessing considerably cheaper than $30
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$30 each...are you kidding me!?! I don't care if they're 24 kt gold, sea foam, taupe, or whatever...that is ridiculous! If you truly feel the need for colored PMags dye them. This process works amazingly well with plastic products. Totally permanent. And I'm guessing considerably cheaper than $30

"To each their own" I suppose.
It may be twice the price of a regular pmag, but they're fairly rare and as a Magpul fan; they are collectable. Now if only i could find a smoke colored one.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Orange PMAGS have been selling for $30+ the last two years with no problems.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks too much like UN blue. Maybe somethign more sinister is going on here.... ha!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And UTM specifically stated that they don't sell to "lowly civilians" - only LE and mil - and they require an end user certificate for all orders - apparently UTM isn't pleased that "their" product is finding it's way into the hands of "lowly civilians".  Get your blue PMags while you can...
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm confused. Will they accept standard ammo? Maybe it is just me but it seems like a bad idea to have a training mag that will accept live ammo. I am assuming like the Simmunitions we used, the guns won't chamber a standard round when set up with the training barrel, but still.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
UTM are training mags.........
the others for sale do look like standard pmags in blue????
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3051259309_0510402539.jpg?v=0

Firebird, where do I sign up?

Of course, my wife and daughter would probably start swiping those...

...sometimes I feel like I just can't win.

Edited, because even Google spellcheck hates me today...

lol.  You could get some pink paint and some sticker to roll your own.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Somebody got a little careless with blue concentrate didnt they? I know the truth....
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I couldn't help it.....I ordered one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From?

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#24]
From here, I presume.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From here, I presume.

Thanks! I was there a couple days ago when he was sold out...um direct emails to him come back as "Account not available"
and attempting to register on the forums nets me this message "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address." HA HA thats pretty funny cause I'm pretty sure I've never been registered with that forum, I've never owned a Glock, and I'm not a Glock basher lol...I do own an M&P...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Glocktalk is run by a bunch of fucking ban happy Nazi's. Talk negative about a Glock or praise another weapon platform will get you banned.

They have probably banned swaths of IP's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

dude post up pics when u get it

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And UTM specifically stated that they don't sell to "lowly civilians" - only LE and mil - and they require an end user certificate for all orders - apparently UTM isn't pleased that "their" product is finding it's way into the hands of "lowly civilians".  Get your blue PMags while you can...

Or don't.

Buying these is creating demand, which causes UTM to make money.  If they think that .mil and .gov folks are somehow inherently superior, screw em.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#30]
i would like to have a couple blue or orange pmags but i aint paying 30$ for them,or maybe even some other color choices
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The UTM PMAGs were built to meet their specific color specs.  They do not recommend their use with normal ammunition to avoid potential confusion between training and live fire mags.

I guess that doesn't matter for "civilian" use though, since they don't sell their stuff on the open market.

All we have is dummies and live, baby!

(I'm being a little facetious.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The UTM PMAGs were built to meet their specific color specs. They do not recommend their use with normal ammunition to avoid potential confusion between training and live fire mags.

Yeah, because no one trains with live ammo, huh? It's just arogant to think a LEO or military unit can't make that mistake but us lowly civilians or even ex-military/LEO civilians that run shooting schools are going to shoot each other because we are color blind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The UTM PMAGs were built to meet their specific color specs. They do not recommend their use with normal ammunition to avoid potential confusion between training and live fire mags.

Yeah, because no one trains with live ammo, huh? It's just arogant to think a LEO or military unit can't make that mistake but us lowly civilians or even ex-military/LEO civilians that run shooting schools are going to shoot each other because we are color blind.

I don't mean to be dense, but what are you trying to say?  Doesn't this company sell to training agencys/companies?  I don't believe they sell the conversion kits to anyone but LE/MIL/training companies.I would imagine their attorneys have advised them that that is the only way to limit liabity suits when people go out and start shooting MM cartridges at unprotected folks.  I don't know. I NOT TAKING UP FOR THEM; I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR BEEF.

In LE, we all recognize blue as a training LTL round.  Why would companies sell the blue magazines independentl;y to folks that do not have their training conversions? They are just trying to maintain the integrity of blue being a training indictaor
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok so I gotta ask.....are these real blue PMAGS or what, and not training mags???
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#35]
FiftyCalAl,

The UTM conversion kit does not require a proprietary magazine. As per the UTM website "UTM Conversions do not require special magazines. Use your weapon's standard magazines or for added safety the UTM Blue Safety Magazine". So , that means the blue mags are standard blue PMags.

Their conversion kit insert has a live round lock out feature, but the mag does not. It is arrogant of any company to assume only LE and military can be trusted with firearms training and to refuse to sell your products to civlians. Not to mention the fact, almost all civilian firearms training facilities are run by former LE or military personnel.

Even if, they are just trying to maintain the integrity of blue being a training indictator, that is no reason to refuse sales to non-LE or military personnel who want to use the blue mags for training.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, we'll see how friendly they are.  I am LE AND own a training company.  I sent them a request for bid for a small order of training gear, including blue PMAGS (as a TRAINER in a private comppnay)(but did indicate I train LE as well as civilian).  We'll see if they are indignant or not.

About the PMAGS though.  My understanding is that MagPul made that color only as a special order from them for their business use - Blue PMAGs were not released to the normal distributors for resale.  SInce they made a special request, they technically can do what they want.  And if that is to limit sales of the blue PMAG only to agencies/entitys that use their training products, that sounds reasonable to me.  My guess is, if I, as LE, tried to buy just the mags without owning their conversion units-they would not sell.  There are lots of companies that sell their products only to certain groups , even though possession by 'ordinary' folks is not illegal (vet supplies, chemicals, medical gear, some radio equipment, etc.  Not saying it's right or wrong- just saying what it is.

I am concerned that some ammo manufacturers limit sales of types of personal defense ammo to LE sales- no law, just policy.  That doesn't keep cops any safer (imho)(as a cop), but limits civilians opportunities to possess quality , top shelf ammo. (eg. Winchesster Ranger T)

I personally bought some of the blue PMAGs from the gentleman on GlockTalk at an inflated price just b/c I wanted a few for my collection.  I am not sure where he got them, but they have blue baseplates instead of the black ones seen at the website.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mean to be dense, but what are you trying to say?  Doesn't this company sell to training agencys/companies?  I don't believe they sell the conversion kits to anyone but LE/MIL/training companies.I would imagine their attorneys have advised them that that is the only way to limit liabity suits when people go out and start shooting MM cartridges at unprotected folks.  I don't know. I NOT TAKING UP FOR THEM; I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR BEEF.

In LE, we all recognize blue as a training LTL round.  Why would companies sell the blue magazines independentl;y to folks that do not have their training conversions? They are just trying to maintain the integrity of blue being a training indictaor

Thankfully we have UTM to police the planet free of BLUE pmags to maintain proper LE training  Utm mags are white before Labor Day i hear
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:32:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Companies can do sell to whomever they want. it just pisses me off when I see LE / Military sales only on anything non-NFA. There are enough congressman wanting to restrict access to my hobby, don't need businesses helping them. I own my own business and just don't understand this attitude.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Companies can do sell to whomever they want. it just pisses me off when I see LE / Military sales only on anything non-NFA. There are enough congressman wanting to restrict access to my hobby, don't need businesses helping them. I own my own business and just don't understand this attitude.

Truth! Its insulting imho!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Justin,

Could you advise if you guys (MP) ever sold that robin egg blue to anyone other than UTM?  Was it just them that special ordered said color for their own proprietary interests? If so, they 'kinda' own that color. Likewise, anybody with enough money to contract for a huge order could request anything they wanted and restrict MP from selling that to anybody else I suppose, to protect their own proprietary interests.  I really don't see why you guys feel that MP or UTM is keeping a device from you.
Example:

Rolex makes a watch in a certain syle named DELTA.  IT is in silver color with a gold face.  The Green Bay PAckers contract with them to make some of those watches with a green face, and make the contract exclusive.  The Packers only sell the watch to their Players, families, and fans who have bought season tickets for $2000.  Other football fans can buy silver /gold ROLEX's, but not green.  Even folks who attend some games, but are not season ticket holders (who have bought 'something big' from the PACKERS) can't buy the green watches.  If anyone other than those folks want the watch it can sometimes be found on the net for $3000.  If someone is a big fan of the Packers and wants that watch but doesn't play for them or can't/won't buy season tickets, they will have to scrounge and pay aftermarket prices.  Rolex is not keeping youfrom having a DELTA, just that color is prohibited b/c of contract.  The Packers are keeping you from having it, but that is their business decisions based on what they believe is in their best interest and in the best interest of the Team and season ticket holders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that we're just talking about a color here.  You can buy the exact same mag from hundreds of other resellers, just not in UTM's proprietary blue.

I feel you, however in this case its the big picture...so many folks have stuff that is perfectly legal for civi's to own, yet they LE restrict it......perfect example is Winchester Ranger ammo, and they lost my business for that play.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Justin,

Could you advise if you guys (MP) ever sold that robin egg blue to anyone other than UTM?  Was it just them that special ordered said color for their own proprietary interests? If so, they 'kinda' own that color. Likewise, anybody with enough money to contract for a huge order could request anything they wanted and restrict MP from selling that to anybody else I suppose, to protect their own proprietary interests.  I really don't see why you guys feel that MP or UTM is keeping a device from you.
Example:
Rolex makes a watch in a certain syle named DELTA.  IT is in silver color with a gold face.  The Green Bay PAckers contract with them to make some of those watches with a green face, and make the contract exclusive.  The Packers only sell the watch to their Players, families, and fans who have bought season tickets for $2000.  Other football fans can buy silver /gold ROLEX's, but not green.  Even folks who attend some games, but are not season ticket holders (who have bought 'something big' from the PACKERS) can't buy the green watches.  If anyone other than those folks want the watch it can sometimes be found on the net for $3000.  If someone is a big fan of the Packers and wants that watch but doesn't play for them or can't/won't buy season tickets, they will have to scrounge and pay aftermarket prices.  Rolex is not keeping youfrom having a DELTA, just that color is prohibited b/c of contract.  The Packers are keeping you from having it, but that is their business decisions based on what they believe is in their best interest and in the best interest of the Team and season ticket holders.

Correct.  Just like the LaRue "UDE" or the Bushmaster/Remington ACR "Coyote Brown", the UTM Blue PMAG is made under contract specifically and exclusively for them and therefore have only been sold directly to them.

SWEET...we can patent colors now....kinda like Madonna patents her first name  Once those silly lil colors become patentable....the dictionary is fair game, words her i come

eta...only the color name
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#45]
You can't PATENT a color, nor a name; you must TRADEMARK or LICENSE a color or name.  PATENTS deal with inventions of products, procedures, etc.

Neither MagPul nor UTM trademarked or patented the blue color, they simply entered into a business agreement not to produce the blue for anyone but UTM, and I am sure they are paying a pretty penny for that exclusivity.

Just  like DOT signs conform to the UMTCD (red-stop, yellow-caution/warning, white/black-regulatory, brown-recreational, blue-personal comfort or needs, etc) their has been a long-standing de fhacto 'rule' that blue on a magazine means less-lethal training.  We were using blue plastic (like electrical) tape back in the eightys on our mags to differentiate and to let others know.  That is what they want to maintain the integrity of, and they are paying good money to do so.  No one is KEEPING anyone from having a certain style, a function, or a process to enjoy the use if the rifle.  And the aftermarket sales are there; I paid $30 a piece for 5 of them I received today.  Is that outrageous? yep!  but that is what happens when their is exclusivity and people forge a desire for what they can't have.  An I pissed at rhe company that I can't just drop down $13 bucks and order one?  Absolutely not!

I don't know what explanation or analogy or metaphor wil appease you and help you understand "big brother' and 'THE MAN" are not depriving anyone of a right or privilege-they are just protecting their business interests and what they feel is the integrity and safety factor in training with LTL weapons/ammo.  I am done here-not taking sides, but certainly not whining over something that is easily remedied and not pejorative to anyone.

FiftyCal - OUT!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except that we're just talking about a color here. You can buy the exact same mag from hundreds of other resellers, just not in UTM's proprietary blue.
Justin,

Yes, that's correct. it's the blue color PMags the customers want.

Customers have been asking for blue PMags off and on for quite some time. I want some to match the blue Cav Arms stock sets I have. So now we have Magpul apparently restricting sales of blue PMags to one customer and that customer refusing to sell to non-LE/military. Pisses me off.

i know Magpul probably won't sell enough blue PMags to justify a special run but what's wrong with making a run for UTM plus some extras and selling the contract over run to the rest of us?

Since Magpul's contract with UTM resticts sales of blue PMags to UTM exclusively, why not make some EMags in blue and not breach the UTM contract.

From a business stand point, both companies are limiting their own sales by severly restricing their customer base. I don't uinderstand that concept either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Crazy thing i do not want a blue pmag....i just want people to stop restricting things that are perfectly legal to own only to give it out then to "trusted LE".  So since i do not have a blue pmag in the fight, i will end it with that.....i am most likely wrong on all I said except the insult that civis feel over having them told certain perfectly legal things cannot be owned by them...without case by case or anything rational, just flat out restricted to civilians.  Oh well
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#49]
TANGOCHASER,

Do want the thread contact for the guy on Glocktalk selling them?  Like I said, I just got 5 of them NIW and they are spotless.  $30 each, but bluer than any robin's egg
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top