Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:08:13 AM EDT
Has anyone used Ziploc Vacuum Bags for long term storage of magazines?  This seems like a good idea especially for metal magazines because the magazines could not rust due to the absence of oxygen inside the bag.  Can anyone think of any reason why this might damage the magazine?  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It wont hurt the magazine, but its not necessary anyways. I just put mine in .50cal ammo cans with some dessicant and be done with it. Unless your storing your mags in a super humid environment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you plan on burying them, that is a little overkill.

Another vote for the 50 cal ammo can and desiccant if things like this keep you up at night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a recent thread where a guy did just that (food-saver vacuum bags), but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a mag collection.  I went this route with expensive "zip-loc" bags when the collection was in it's infancy.  Very thick industrial type with dessicant in each mag bag.  The dessicant needed continual recharging.  Maybe with two or three bags on each mag it would have flown, but man that was a real PITA.

I have a safe now with a golden rod and rechargeable dessicant.  The mags in the bags are left open so that the plastic doesn't seal, just prevents rub marks.

Yes Markm, when the mag beauty contest happens I'm takin' first place- no question.

Above that it's bolted to the concrete in the basement where a dehumidifier keeps the relative humiditiy between 25 and 35.

Steel mags for storage get a light wiping down with a CLP soaked rag.

Much easier.

Keep in mind this trouble is for collecting- for just a stash you need to be buying Okay mags NIB and just throwing them in boxes in the basement and stacking them deep.  Throw a dehumidifier down there and be done with it.  The mag body is aluminum, so you just need to worry about the spring.

ETA- I worry about trapping the air inside the mag body - I just don't buy the hermetically sealing thing for mags or ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have about 20 steel AK mags and the same # of GI/Colt AR mags that were left in either nylon range bags and or a safe for the last 18 yrs and NONE of them have any issues. I rub a little oil on the Steel mags to keep them looking like new. As for vacuum bagging in a polymer, I'd pass if you plan on storing them in a location with extended heat (attic). Aluminum mags will be fine and if the springs become an issue you replace them. My dad's M1 carbine mags from WWII still work in the same weapon and they have been in garages from Oregon, Missouri to California. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone used Ziploc Vacuum Bags for long term storage of magazines?  This seems like a good idea especially for metal magazines because the magazines could not rust due to the absence of oxygen inside the bag.  Can anyone think of any reason why this might damage the magazine?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

This is my favored storage method with everything but aluminum or plastic mags, along with a good coating of oil.

I store steel G3 and FAL mags this way, and no issues whatsoever. I do oil the hell out of them before putting them in the bag, along with a quick squirt after it's in the bag. When it comes to oil, the more the better if the article is going into extended length storage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys, keep in mind that plastic breathes.

I work for a company that fills saline into IV bags.  Given enough time the volume in the bag will decrease as the water evaporates through the plastic.  Granted this is likely not a huge concern when storing gun magazines, but it will happen....eventually.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was a recent thread where a guy did just that (food-saver vacuum bags), but I'll be damned if I can find it.

It was my thread...
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a bunch of USGI actual issue 30rd magazine storage bags (NSN: 1005-00-193-8306 CAGE: 039M3 - DWG NO.:19200 8448464) 4.0 mil thick with a ziplock closure and pre-molded for quick, emergency tear off access also.

Most of the time I use it they're not zipped closed if my mags are inside in clean areas, they're mostly so the mags don't bang and scratch each other, if I'm going to store them in a dusty place I close them.

If I don't have these USGI mag bags the regular Ziploc bags would work fine too.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
because the magazines could not rust due to the absence of oxygen inside the bag

IM NOT MEANING TO HAMMER ON YA BUT

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO US HOW SIMPLY PUTTING SOMETHING IN A BAGGIE
REMOVES THE OXYGEN FROM THE BAG ?  

IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD
TO THAT ONE....

RUST...HAPPENS WHEN 4 THINGS ARE PRESENT...OXYGEN,  MOISTURE,  COLD, AND METAL
RUST LIKES 38 TO 42 D  FARENHEIGHT TO DO ITS THING...

CORROSION HAPPENS WHEN 4 THINGS ARE PRESENT,  MOISTURE, HEAT, METAL
AND OXYGEN.. (chemicals excluded from cause )

OXYGEN IS A MOLECULE... A MOLECULE IS SO SMALL THAT UNTIL LAST WEEK
ONE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN...

THERE ARE PROBABLY   400 BILLION TRILLION OXYGEN MOLECULES IN A BAGGIE
CONTAINING A 10 RD MAGAZINE... ZIPPED CLOSED....

NOW... IF YOU TOSS A SILICANT GEL PACK INTO THAT BAGGIE IT MIGHT JUST
HELP...

BUT WHEN YOU TOSS THE BAGGIE IN SOMEHTING AND IT GETS HOLES POKED
IN IT OR TORN OPEN ON A SHARP MAG EDGE...

WELL ALL THAT NASTY OXYGEN IS GOING TO RUSH RIGHT IN ON YOU.......

IF YOUR MAGS ARE CLEAN AND OILED ....WHY DOES IT MATTER .......THEY ARENT
GOING TO RUST...

A GOOD PROJECT FOR WINTER IS STRIP EM DOWN , AND GET EM BORON CARBIDE
OR TN COATED... IT COSTS ABOUT $2  A MAG...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
because the magazines could not rust due to the absence of oxygen inside the bag

wow, newbie member bashing on post number 8. most people wait until at least post number 10 to start telling people how it is...

happy_gopher
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO US HOW SIMPLY PUTTING SOMETHING IN A BAGGIE
REMOVES THE OXYGEN FROM THE BAG ?  

IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD
TO THAT ONE....

Um, did you read the part in the OP and title.........where it says "vacuum"?

Oh yeah, turn your caps lock off, chief.  Most people just skip over the posts that are in all caps, because it's annoying to read.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

plastic will not prevent 02 from entering, even if vacummned out. Also hard objects stored in plastic will easily ding holes in the plastic. Maybe 7 mil+ mylar bags but I doubt that would work

wont hurt but not needed, If you really have a hard on for protecting your mag form oxygen , get a new paint can, o2 absorbers, put in mags,  add absorber seal lid. Or just buy SS springs
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top