Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 10:09:59 PM EDT
I was thinking about how to build your own magazines.  It doesn't look like it could be that hard if someone had the right tools.

Anyone ever try this>?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the right tools. It is very hard. You will have an insane amount of money and time and materials and very little to show for it vs. the guy who bought 100 "insert brand here" mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on machining out some die's to use in a stamping process then tig"em  in the future..
I just have to wait to get my place an get everything out of storage...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I plane on machining out some die's to use in a stamping process then tig"em  in the future..
I just have to wait to get my place an get everything out of storage...

Straight mags, or curved?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
ar15 and M1A
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ar15 and M1A

Both are pretty complicated to make...you'll need several sets of dies for the curved mags, you can't just stamp them in a single die.

I mean, more power to you, but it's damned expensive to get into making magazines, I've been looking into it lately, and I just don't have the funding.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah I'm not really in a hurry or looking to make a killing.  more less just being able to make what  you want.
maybe sell a few on the side. I tend to be a little hard on things if you know what I mean..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
This sounds interesting... If you do it, post pics.

I've always been interested in getting a 20 round magazine, with feed lips the thickness of a TD ARC magazine, machined from stainless steel.

It would be extremely durable. If there was ever a ban, you would have at least one magazine you wouldn't need to worry about wearing out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
couldn't straight body magazines be made with some elbow grease and a torch.  if the magazine was made without anything guiding the follower would it still work.  Just trying to learn.   I'm gonna be trying taking some 30 rounders and cutting them with a dremmel then using some aluminum brazing rods to just shorten them up to my states legal limit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

couldn't straight body magazines be made with some elbow grease and a torch.  if the magazine was made without anything guiding the follower would it still work.  Just trying to learn.   I'm gonna be trying taking some 30 rounders and cutting them with a dremmel then using some aluminum brazing rods to just shorten them up to my states legal limit.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I've made a few 7.62x39 frankenmags using crappy USA mags for the tower and ganked up AK mags for the body.  Never made any from scratch.  I'm just not that smart and/or inclined.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I envy anyone with the skills to pull this off. Not just magazines, but anything of that nature.

A few years ago I bought myself a small Millermatic MIG welder and thought I could take on the whole world. It was somewhat empowering to be able to use my little welder to fix things around the house.

I don't have the skills or background needed to actually fabricate something. My hat goes off to those of you who can
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
While being a great self improvement and learning project, it would be silly at the current mag prices to try and make them cheaper.

The first mag will cost right around $2000 to figure out the process and get one made that would run. That is not just in material, but in time as well.

Every project I make in my machine shop is gauged against my $60 per hour shop time as well as material expenses. If I can't make it for the same or less than I can buy it, then it just becomes a project to see if I can do it. Its no longer about saving money.

Making mags for sale is very scary from a liability stand point.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top