Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:26:22 PM EDT
On Memorial day, a member of another fourm I frequent posted up a Safariland mag doubler for the first active duty member to post up.  I was the lucky winner.  While I had never considered a mag doubler, I figured free stuff is free stuff, why not give it a shot to see how it is.  Fast forward to today, and I tripped over a box on the front porch while heading out to the garage to get my jeep ready to tow to my new house.  Normally I would leave a blue cloud hanging over the town when I trip over something, but not so when it's a box on the porch.  Box on the porch means cool stuff arriving, and thankfully, the Safariland mag doubler falls into this catagory.

Lets get to the good stuff, PICS!

The Safariland mag doubler is designed to keep the mags at different heights, this keeps the bottom height of the mags the same while allowing easy loading, which is why the spare mag looks so high on the reciever in the pics.  The mags are well supported, and quite solid in the doubler, very little if any movement between the two during reloads.  An extra feature is the top round holder which is the plastic pieces attached by the rubber bands in the pics.  These replace the top round in the spare mag (or primary mag if you have them in a pouch) to keep the top round from becoming dislodged by movement and interfering with loading.  The top round holders fit under the feed lips of the mag and replace the top round, they are easily dislodged from the mag to allow reloads by simply tripping them down and forward with the weak hand thumb.  Reloads are quick and easy with this setup, even for someone like me who has done little to no reloading drills with an AR.  Product is solid and well though out, 4 out of 5 overall.  Only detraction is it will not work with P-mags, but that makes the GI style mags I have a more necessary part of my safe contents since they had been relegated to space fillers since I started using the P-mags.

Overall I'm impressed with the mag doubler, having never considered one before I'm sold on it as a viable method of carrying a second mag on the rifle and being a quick and easy reload tool.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
They look very usable.

How much are they and where can we find them for sale?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They look very usable.

How much are they and where can we find them for sale?

Since I got mine for free, I did a google search to find out how much and where for ya.

Optics planet has em here for $29.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Offtopic,
But who makes that buttstock?
I would like to get one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Offtopic,

I would like to get one.

I believe it is an ACE.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Offtopic,
I would like to get one.

I believe it is an ACE.

Yup, ACE ARFX stock.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice to see someome come up with a method of keeping the top rnd from sliding forward from the recoil of the firing the the first mag. The problem makes other mag couplers useless.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like the mag will block the ejection port after you do a change
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Looks like it won't cover the EP. It should ride lower than the spare mag once you change em around.

Looks like it anyway........

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
No worries of the mag covering the ejection port, they are offset in the doubler.

Please excuse the cellphone pics, my camera is in a box somewhere and I have no idea which one.  Just moved this week, got my household goods off the truck yesterday so everything is a mess.

Here's a head on of the coupled mags with ole George in there for scale so you can see just how much they are offset.

Here's the secondary mag inserted in the rifle with ejection port cover closed.

And finally, here's the secondary mag inserted in the rifle with the ejection port cover open.

Hope this clears things up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't the top round cover slow down the reload time?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Doesn't the top round cover slow down the reload time?

It's actually pretty quick to remove the top round cover.  Raise your support hand to the top of the mag and brush the top rear of it with the meaty part of your thumb, continue dropping the support hand to the bottom of the mags, then reload like normal.  Ejecting the top round cover only takes a swipe that will push it slightly down and forward, it doesn't have to be a find motor skill that you concentrate on, no different than smacking the bolt release with the heel of your hand.

What would slow down the reload is having the top round out of place due to recoil while firing the first mag and then fumbling around trying to strip the top round completely out of the way so you could insert the mag.

edit:  I hope no one thinks that I'm trying to talk this thing up as the end all beall of reloading, as that is not my intent.  I'm just trying to answer questions as they come up.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top