Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2009 7:19:04 PM EDT
I just bought a P-mag to try out this weekend.  It doesn't glow in the dark or make my bullets kill any better, so why the big deal about them?  Are they really that musch better than a regular USGI mag?  I haven't had too many problems with USGI's with the green followers.  And if they are so great,  why?

Not trying to be an ass, just curious really.

ETA: black with window, $18.49 (no tax on base).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They are quiet, they are durable, they load easier, they lock into the rifle easier, they wear down to dull polymer instead of shiny aluminum.

PMags are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They are quiet, they are durable, they load easier, they lock into the rifle easier, they wear down to dull polymer instead of shiny aluminum.

PMags are awesome.

what this guy said.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They don't drop free from all mil spec receivers
They hang up on mag pouches
They don't fit all guns that use mil-spec M16 mags

I think they are damn good mags, but the above are serious short comings
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't own at least 87 PMags, you don't belong on this threadz .
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1

They're good, solid mags, but have compatibility problems. I've actually had to use AK rigs to haul around my PMAGs
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I love 'em in my colt 6920
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some answers...

The newest versions are 100% dropfree tested prior to shipping. They should drop free of any factory Colt M4 and 95% of aftermaket receivers in the market place.

The only two mainstream rifles out there that do not take stock PMags are the HK416/SA80 which both have non conforming magwells but can use the new EMags which are designed to fit. It also does not fit the FS2000 but we don't really think it is an issue. They work in the FN SCAR but will not drop free (the EMags drop free just fine) Other than than it is compatable with the majority of AR15s and systems that run an AR mag such as the SIG556, Rob XCR, MSAR AR-AUG and FN M249.

I cannot help you on the pouches part other than tell you that there are plenty of pouches that fit it and in the AR Polymer mag world the PMag is on of the more "Swelt" ones out there.

Thanks!  I'll give 'em a go and let the other guys play with 'em too!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a P-mag to try out this weekend.  It doesn't glow in the dark or make my bullets kill any better, so why the big deal about them?  Are they really that musch better than a regular USGI mag?  I haven't had too many problems with USGI's with the green followers.  And if they are so great,  why?

Bunch of Snake Oil if you ask me...

http://www.magpul.com/pics/dr_Drakes.jpg

That's funny.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
for me, they are just another tool in the box.  They do nothing that the USGI aluminum ones won't, and the USGI do nothing that a Pmag won't.  I have a few, and they are good to go.  But anyone saying that they are a gift from the AR Gods is  

And anyone saying that they are not worth a damn is also
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA: black with window, $18.49 (no tax on base).

Join the military and ask all the soldiers what the fuss is about! Until then its hard to explain unless your a professional soldier

Seriously they are popular becuase the AR world has been pretty boring the past years, pmags are a easy & cheap change, kinda like buy rims or mud tires, perform better in some conditions and some exactly the same.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bunch of Snake Oil if you ask me...

http://www.magpul.com/pics/dr_Drakes.jpg

i have one of those tshirts
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the feature of the snap on cover that keeps pressure off the feed lips of a loaded mag. when you snap it off and put it on the bottom of the mag it seems it would provide some level of protection to the bottom of the mag when you let it drop free and hit the ground.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PMags are awesome.

All of these things, plus they are also much easier to take apart and put back together for cleaning WITHOUT bending anything to do so.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#17]
personally, I dont see all the hype.  Having to fuss around with the cover is a big negative.  What if I want to keep one in the gun loaded?  Do I need to worry about feed lip creep?

They do seem to run well.  Always good to have choices so Im not complaining.  Just don't understand why some folks seem to have Messiah level adoration for them though...
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Are PMAGS 10 times better than USGI mags?  No.  Are they well worth an extra couple of bucks?  Yes.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top