Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 6:59:50 PM EDT
i am new to the ar-15 scene. i just picked up a new ar yesterday. while i was at the gun shop, i picked up 2 new magazines. they were both in plastic with a tag that said "colt ar-15, 30 round 5.56."

i got them for $12 a piece and they looked brand new. there's no stamping on them at all as far as manufacturer. they have the light/soft green followers.

now for the issue, once they get down to the last 2-4 rounds, it jams the rifle and the rounds just pop out of the clip. the one time i got down to the last round, it stuck the chamber open like it was empty, which left one round floating around in there.

i plan on ditching these, but i was just wondering if anyone knew what they were
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i am new to the ar-15 scene.

Welecome spoolin7.

i got them for $12 a piece and they looked brand new. there's no stamping on them at all as far as manufacturer. they have the light/soft green followers.

now for the issue, once they get down to the last 2-4 rounds, it jams the rifle and the rounds just pop out of the clip. the one time i got down to the last round, it stuck the chamber open like it was empty, which left one round floating around in there.

i plan on ditching these, but i was just wondering if anyone knew what they were

By your description, I'd say they aren't anything to hold on to.  Quality USGI Mil-spec mags will have the mfg on the floor plate and usually a date code or other numbering on the mag body.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If there are no stampings on them & they are giving you problems, I'd take them back to the gunshop you got them from & ask for your money back before ditching them. They are nothing special.

You can get quality USGI surplus mags out of the EE for cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i am new to the ar-15 scene. i just picked up a new ar yesterday. while i was at the gun shop, i picked up 2 new magazines. they were both in plastic with a tag that said "colt ar-15, 30 round 5.56."

if you want good 30 round mags then go for PMAGS or USGI mags with Magpul fallowers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk.

i'm for sure getting some p-mags soon. my wife actually purchased 2 new double star ar-15s for us today at a gun show and the dealer said he threw a p-mag under a ups truck and it was still usable
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk..........

quick! change the work "clip" to "mag" before anyone notices...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk..........

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took into consideration the post count before going ape and drawing down...

Now I realize it is an injustice not to give a noob the heads up on the gospel.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top