BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2008 8:08:25 AM EDT
I'm about to order my 1st AR and mags to go with it and I've noticed a lot of members have 20+ magazines at any given time.  I haven't seen though, the reasons why people have that many.  I can easily why LE and Military personnel would have that many, so I'm curious as to why others have the quantity they do.  What are your reasons?
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
1. The potential of a future assault weapons ban
2. The fact that the magazine is a wear item.  It will wear out (springs needing replaced, feed lips bent or broken).
3. You will over the course of time damage some of them by dropping on the feed lips.
4. You will over the course of time loose a few.  (You wouldn't think so but it happens like forgetting one at the range etc)
5. Many have multiple weapons and have a set number of magazines they keep on hand for each weapon.
6. Because they want to.
7. Because they are relatively cheap
8. Multiple manufacturers and types of magazines are available for different purposes (bench at the range, prone, plinking, 3 gun competitions)  .........5 round, 10 round, 20 round, 30 round, and 100 round
9.  Better quality polymer and plastic magazines are becoming available. (have to have the latest "must have gadget".
10. etc.etc.etc

And any number of a thousand other reasons.  But realize this the magazine was designed as an expendable item it will not last forever.

And I almost forgot......
In 15 to 20 years when my Nieces and Nephews each receive their Assault weapon under the Christmas tree they will have magazines available.  As I am not taking the chance that such items will be available then.  My Sister is having another boy in July he already has his 18th birthday present in my safe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
2. The fact that the magazine is a wear item.  It will wear out (springs needing replaced, feed lips bent or broken).
3. You will over the course of time damage some of them by dropping on the feed lips.
4. You will over the course of time loose a few.  (You wouldn't think so but it happens like forgetting one at the range etc)
5. Many have multiple weapons and have a set number of magazines they keep on hand for each weapon.
6.Because they want to.
7.Because they are relatively cheap
8.etc.etc.etc

9. ZOMBIES
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
9. ZOMBIES Canadian midget topless mud wrestling zombies

Admit it that would be scary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
10.  There's no good reason not to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

This reason right here is why I am buying several lowers.  I was planning on buying a 10 pack of Magpul PMAG's to start as I figured 10 would be a good number to start with until I get proficient with the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Because you never know...
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I'm about to order my 1st AR and mags to go with it and I've noticed a lot of members have 20+ magazines at any given time.  I haven't seen though, the reasons why people have that many.  I can easily why LE and Military personnel would have that many, so I'm curious as to why others have the quantity they do.  What are your reasons?

Some of us non-LEO, non-military folks have more than 20 AR rifles at any given time... how many magazines should we have, exactly, in your opinion? heesh.  But since you asked, how about, as many as you want.  This will be my first non-bolt action rifle so I was just curious how many mags people have and for what reasons.  I figured there would be lots of reasons, all of which would be valid for that particular shooter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have more mags. than I would use in a lifetime , But thats the key word LIFETIME
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Not this shit again
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Pre Ban FTW!

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Another reason for having several mags is so you can spend more time shooting.  The first time I went to a machine gun shoot, I spent a boatload of time thumbing rounds into mags.  The next time I went I had many more mags that I loaded ahead of time, so I maximized my shooting time while at the shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Because they make tyrants nervous.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Because I like diversity!

I have NHMTG mags, D&H mags, C-Products mags made of both stainless and aluminum, and black PMAGs. I just bought some OD green PMAGs too! All my aluminum mags are grey but I think I'll get some black ones to balance it all out. And I want to buy some of C-Prod stainless in the new finish when they become available.

I have some with MagPul followers with more to come.

Diversity!

And it's better to have 'em and not need 'em, than need 'em and not have 'em.

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
7 mags per rifle/carbine  1 mag in the rifle

6 mag to carry

anymore is to heavy to carry

8 if its my Colt 20 rounders
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I always figured 5 for each rifle that takes them is a good Starting point.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

6 mag to carry

Speaking only for myself, but I reckon it goes for all of us who have a lot of mags:

I don't ever plan on loading and carrying every single AR magazine I own.

I have so many because they eventually do wear out or become damaged, and I like to be able to choose a few mags from my stash for something different if I feel inclined. Like I said: diversity.

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

6 mag to carry

I am pretty sure that guys like me who have alot of mags don't intend to carry all of them at the same time. Mine loaded would add up to over 100lbs. so that obviously isn't the point!

I wouldn't carry more than a couple more than you. I just want to make sure that lots more people would also have the capability of carrying the same load.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
My ratio is 30 per AR, I have 8 built AR's, 230 mags...

Like someone said, we do not kow what is down the road....

I liberal activist like hobama, will surely go after the freeman's tools.....make not doubt about it, he will do it

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can easily why LE and Military personnel would have that many,......

No, not really, in the military you don't need to own any, the guberment supplies them
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
1) you can currently buy damn good mags for $15.
2) the democrats are coming.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]
they give me an excuse for  more ammo,

gotta have somewhere to store it, and an empty mag is useless without being loaded with ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I try to have several mags for all my firearms, not just my AR's. The reason is that there are usually several types of ammo I want loaded at any given time. IE: range, home defense, ect.

There is so many different types of ammo for AR's that I keep 23 mags loaded. I'm sure I'll get more sometime, we'll see. :)  Here's the breakdown....

13 USGI mags:

6 loaded with Wolf FMJ (Range)
6 loaded with Silver Bear (Range)
1 loaded with LC M855 (SHTF)

10 P Mags (God's gift to us)

4 loaded with LC M855 (SHTF)
2 loaded with Hornady TAP (Defense)
2 loaded with Wolf (Range)
2 loaded with Prvi M193

It's nice to have mags loaded and ready for anything...

Jeremy S.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#27]
OCD I feel I have to have 20 for each rifle/pistol/SMG,some considerably more.
at the very least I can sell/trade extras at a future date
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:

6 mag to carry

I think that's the absolute minimum you should own.

I'll carry as many as I can and ditch the rest if I have to walk out.

As others have already stated stuff happens to mags,  without a good magazine your AR is a poor single shot rifle, or a not so good club.

I personally think twice that amount (14) for each semi auto is enough.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Right now given the pending election, I have geared all my efforts to ammo and mags. I try to buy at the very least 6 AR mags and 6 AK mags a month. Weather we wind up with McCain or the "other" in office, I'll be set for life in mags. Heck, my grand kids will be set for life too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In 15 to 20 years when my Nieces and Nephews each receive their Assault weapon under the Christmas tree they will have magazines available.  As I am not taking the chance that such items will be available then.

For the future generations of Shooters, for my son and any children he may have who may not have the benefit of living their lives without an AWB!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I like to have a lot of mags for all of my guns.   Rifles and hand guns.
It's nice to have a bunch so when I go to the shooting range and can load them all up and not have to take time to reload every couple minutes.
When I go to the range I like to shoot, not spend half the day re-loading.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I always figured 10 magazines per rifle or carbine, and 5 magazines per handgun as a bare minimum.  I like to have twice that amount for any firearm that I shoot on a regular basis. That's just my personal preferences. You have to decide for yourself how many you feel you need or want.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Because Jim Brady is still alive. Thats why!
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I have mags for a gun I do not yet own, and 18 mags for my AR build which is not yet complete.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have mags for a gun I do not yet own, and 18 mags for my AR build which is not yet complete.

You are just thinking ahead is all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I like to have a lot of mags for all of my guns.   Rifles and hand guns.
It's nice to have a bunch so when I go to the shooting range and can load them all up and not have to take time to reload every couple minutes.
When I go to the range I like to shoot, not spend half the day re-loading.

If you have AR, AK, or FAL mags, get a LULA loader. They are a God send for loading mags.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#38]
First I started out w/ 1 AR and 10+ mags.  Then after the ban, I quickly moved up to 100+ mags.  I then traded 20 mags for 2 Rock River lowers "off the books".  Replenished my mags to over 100 again.  Next was to get two uppers and another complete AR.  Now waiting on a Pistol lower to build up, + another rifle lower.  You see it's simple BRD (Black_Rifle_Disease).

I don't even want to talk about when the HK91/G3 mag price dropped through the floor and I was grabbing them by the 50 pack. (I don't own a HK91)

FB
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
And I almost forgot......
In 15 to 20 years when my Nieces and Nephews each receive their Assault weapon under the Christmas tree they will have magazines available.  As I am not taking the chance that such items will be available then.  My Sister is having another boy in July he already has his 18th birthday present in my safe.

Uncle of the year.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#40]
If you are tight on funds you can get by with 4-5 mags, I woudl recommend 8-10 per rifle.  

Truth is most of us remember the AW Ban days when USGI mags were $25+ each used.  Right now is the 'good old days' so people stock up at $10 each for new mags.  If nothing else they will go up in value if another ban ever shows up...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You just might see the reason after you get your first (second, third...) AR.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
they give me an excuse for  more ammo,

gotta have somewhere to store it, and an empty mag is useless without being loaded with ammo.

+1

If I have ammo thats not in a mag, then I need more mags.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I need more mags.  I have 4 ARs and just a few mags and I am buying another lower.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Another way of looking at it, from a minimalist view.  Repeat, MINIMUM.

8 in your "GO GEAR" or the bedroom or whatever frontline of defense you believe in always loaded.

8 for training and range time.

8 to back up the 16 above, spare parts, lost mags in woods, damaged in training.

So that is really fast and easy to get to 24 mags per rifle........

Then double that to 40 or 50 rifle and you are good to go for 50 years and several hand me downs.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#45]
During the last ban I took a year off work and just sold mags. Much better investment than the stock market.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I need more mags.  I have 4 ARs and just a few mags and I am buying another lower.

44Mag.com. Best place to buy mags now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#47]
And the good thing is I am not picky about TEFLON or PMAGS or whatever stuff is out there.  I like any mag that works.  I still have a Sanchez one that works well and gets abused because it is one of my training mags.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The answer.....as many as you can afford because the ban is coming.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted: My Sister is having another boy in July he already has his 18th birthday present in my safe.

You are a good man.

And many mags cause it's fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
And the good thing is I am not picky about TEFLON or PMAGS or whatever stuff is out there.  I like any mag that works.  I still have a Sanchez one that works well and gets abused because it is one of my training mags.

Right on.

I like buying new mags and checking them out.

I'm not into the kool aid thing so much.

I like my PMAGs because I bought one and it impressed me, so I bought more of them.

I bought 3 C-Products stainless steel mags and soon had 20 of them.

This time last year all I had was about a dozen aluminum mags by NHMTG and D&H. Now I own 30 of them and they all have magpul followers.

I currently have two Lancer L5's coming in the mail.

I'm using 20 rnd mags for hunting 'chucks or whatever.

I enjoy having many mags and many types of mags to choose from.

Having an AR15 means having the means to defend your home from any threat. It also means having a very accurate, reliable, and adaptable semiauto rifle for target shooting and hunting.

But most of all AR15's are just so much doggone fun to shoot.

Without mags though, they're not so much fun. I don't ever want to run out of mags.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top